The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #76
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I watched the end of that big women's triathalon yesterday. Gave me a woody.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #77
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Jinx/LJ: The stairmaster kicks my ass. How long do you use it at a time? I much prefer to use an elliptical machine. If I had a spare 3K and 20sq' I'd own a gym quality one. The cheaper ones just don't cut it. My inlaws have a nicer 'cheap' one that I have used, and really, it's worth saving up and getting the quality one.

Which tri was that Bruce? I don't really follow the professional runners/triathletes to know the 'who's who' of the sports, but it's fun to watch them. The coverage of the ironman races are neat, becasue they not only cover the elite athletes, but tell the stories of the 'regular' people too. Those are the ones that are really inspiring.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #78
jinx
Come on, cat.

30 mins/almost 3 miles. It kicks Jims ass too.... hurts his feelings.
I hate the elipticals. The stride is too short and it makes me feel off balance, but the seem to be very popular with everyone else.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #79
LabRat

That's my training pace, 10 min/mile, running. When you did the elliptical, did you hold on to the handlebars (if they moved back and forth)? I can't do that, it feels really unnatural. I stand upright, and basically run on it. It took awhile to get used to it, the stance was a little wide for me and I also felt a little off balance. Once I got the hand of it though, I preferred running on it than the little teeny track that the college health center had to offer. What I liked best was the ability to go backwards every so often. I do that on the trail sometimes (walk backwards during my cooldown) because it's supposed to be good for you, but I get a lot of weird looks, heh.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #80
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I love the stairmaster!!! I love that burning arse feeling.

I'm doing boot camp again and loving it.

Although 1km of lunges is really taking its toll on my butt and my thighs scream every time I breathe today.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #81
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
That's my training pace, 10 min/mile, running. When you did the elliptical, did you hold on to the handlebars (if they moved back and forth)? I can't do that, it feels really unnatural. I stand upright, and basically run on it. It took awhile to get used to it, the stance was a little wide for me and I also felt a little off balance. Once I got the hand of it though, I preferred running on it than the little teeny track that the college health center had to offer. What I liked best was the ability to go backwards every so often. I do that on the trail sometimes (walk backwards during my cooldown) because it's supposed to be good for you, but I get a lot of weird looks, heh.
Ive only tried the ones that don't have moving arms but I know what you mean... we have a cheapo glider with moving arms that I couldnt stand.... smacked myself in the face with them a couple of times...
Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 AM   #82
LabRat

Finally got the pics fron the out-laws:

The pup running her race. (She is the redhead whose face is obscured by an elbow.) The second one is the two of us, with her finisher's ribbon. She asked if she could do the next one all by herself. *gleaming with pride*
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #83
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

She is too cute.

My son, 4 yrs old, loves to hop on the elliptical and work it for about 10 or 15 minutes at a time. He has some very muscular legs!

I have to agree that a cheap-o elliptical will burn you out. I found a great, gym quality machine for $1500 from Smooth Fitness. It is pretty big, but it is really nice. It only took me a few times to get used to the motion. I like the handlebars. Sometimes I will let my arms do most of the work for a few minutes to work the upper part of my body.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #84
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Smooth Fitness totally failed to hire me 4 months ago. Their loss!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #85
LabRat

Next race: Freeze Fest Feb 24th. If the weather continues it's pattern, this year it will definately live up to it's name. I've been running on the 'mill, but need to get out once or twice on the road. The last two times I planned to, the windchills were below zero. I'm crazy, but not stupid.

I joined the local Master's swimming group last night. If the next month or so of swimming goes well, I plan on trying to do the Pigman Sprint Tri in June. I did this one in 2000 and had a blast. Wonder if I'll be faster than my 24 year old self?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #86
lookout123
changed his status to single

Get to work.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #87
LabRat

Triathlon.
The threesome that's PC to brag about.

I did one in 2000, The Pigman Sprint. I have the bug to do it again. Last summer I heard about a Tri club forming in the area. I became a charter member. This past Saturday morning the club hosted a breakfast with a couple of the world's best triathletes, who also happen to be native Iowa. Tony and Tim DeBoom. They were in town being inducted into their high school's hall of fame. It was awesome to get to hear them talk, and I learned quite a bit. The local news station was there, and did a small bit on the "Brother's DeBoom". Tim's wife Nicole also spoke. She is an Ironman triathlete as well, and I had a chance to speak with her after their presentations. I loved her! All three of them are very down to earth, and not at all what I expected. I managed to screw up enough courage to shake Tony and Tim's hands. I wish I would have had my camera. A pic with those 3 would have been an sweet addition to my gym. I thought about bringing my Pigman number to have them sign, but didn't. Now I am kicking myself.

Last edited by LabRat; 02-15-2008 at 09:14 AM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #88
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

Indy500 festival mini-marathon

Hey Labrat,
It's time again for the Mini, I signed up again. Did the first of the official "training runs", a 5k last saturday, took me 29:50, which aint great but is good enough for me right now. I'll keep you all posted, you do the same with your tri's.

edit: I haven't run at all since last year's race, I've been doing other types of training, it seems to have kept my stamina in good enough shape so far.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #89
LabRat

When is your race, hid?

Finished 6/7 in my age group in 29m19s Sat. I was a bit dissappointed with my time, but reminded myself that it was the first time I had run outside since last fall. I could tell Sunday because my legs were a bit sore, and they usually are not. Also, swimming has wiped me out, so the last couple weeks I had only run 2X a week instead of 3-4...

Just printed off the entry form for my tri. Eek! All of a sudden I'm all nervous! June 1st seems far away right now, especially with all the freaking ice all over the sidewalks, but it's only 3 months.

Last edited by LabRat; 02-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #90
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

The 2008 OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon

The 2008 Mini-Marathon is scheduled for Saturday, May 3, 2008