The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #61
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
God Damn Right.
If beating kids was gonna solve the violence problem in the black community, there would be no violence problem in the black community. AA kids are getting the belt every fucking day and they take their whuppin from Mom/Dad/Uncle/Aunty/Grandwhatever and then they take it out on their neighborhood.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #62
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

...how easily the learned give up the evidence of their senses to preserve the coherence of ideas in their imagination.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #63
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I think Sending in The Moms is a good idea. I think The Moms have Authority, and that's respected. The mom in the picture, she's using Power to accentuate, or remind her son of that Authority.

It's possible. No. It's NECESSARY to send in the moms (and dads and aunties and uncles, etc) for just the reason that xoB and others have expressed. The respect for our social contract, the fabric of our communities (because the police are an important and inextricable thread in that fabric) is learned by the youngsters, who become older, but it's learned by the observations they make of all the things around them. What the parental figures do and say. What they see at school and in the neighborhood, including the behavior of the cops. What (crap) they see on the tv and videos and movies. What they see their friends doing and what the people they'd like to be their friends are doing. All that and more is combined to produce the net result and the net behaviors.

Who has the greatest influence on that result? The parents. In some extreme cases, the influence of the parents can outweigh all the other factors combined, but usually not. Usually it's just the single biggest force. And even the parent's input is mixed. There isn't a parent here who can say their work as a parent has been flawless. Sometimes it's a contradiction, saying this and doing that. What does a youngster make of that mixed message? The same is true with the larger pool of influences, they're mixed. Training the kids on what to look for, what to shoot for, and how to discern the good influences from the bad, the helpful from the hurtful, indeed, right from wrong, that's parent-gold.

The mom in the picture is just reminding her son right from wrong. NOW, maybe the kid gets beaten every day for any goddamn thing. Could be. And that would be fucked up, that would be wrong, that would train the kid that the world's to be feared and that rioting is not an unreasonable approach. WTF do I know? I am just looking at one picture, one instant. Naturally, I'm reading a LOT into the picture.

But even though the cops aren't social workers, and they're not, much of the shit they have to deal with would be best handled by using the tools of social workers. Cops have lots of tools, they pick and choose what they think is the best tool for the job all the goddamn time. When they get it right, woo hoo. Not even a cookie, not for doing your chosen job right. When they choose wrong, bad stuff happens. And that wrong choice is sometimes NOT putting on the social worker hat and instead drawing a gun or a baton.

A riot is not the time for social work--the tools needed there are the ones in the riot gear kit. But that's only because as gvidas has eloquently pointed out (and quoted) the authority of the police is gone.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #64
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Toad,

Obviously, we have very different ideas of what constitutes a statement of (my) philosophy.

As you like.

#

Lamp,

“We disagree.”

Yes, we do.

#

Spexx,

“That's crazy, right Henry?”

When you trash your own neighborhood cuz you’re pissed at the cops: yeah, crazy as a shithouse mouse.

Now, when you trundle in from outside the neighborhood, involve yourself in a matter that’s not your concern, trash that neighborhood with no consideration given for the folks who live there and who may depend on the businesses trashed, then you’re asshole.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #65
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Spexx,

“That's crazy, right Henry?”

When you trash your own neighborhood cuz you’re pissed at the cops: yeah, crazy as a shithouse mouse.
My description was of the actions of the Sons of Liberty.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #66
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I wonder why?

Quote:
Since 1935, nearly every so-called race riot in the United States—and there have been more than 100—has been sparked by a police incident, Muhammad says. This can be an act of brutality, or a senseless killing. But the underlying causes run much deeper. Police, because they interact in black communities every day, are often seen as the face of larger systems of inequality in the justice system, employment, education and housing.
What do you wonder, xoB? The quote in your post doesn't come from the article you linked to.

do you wonder why black americans and white americans see the police differently?

do you wonder why so many "race-riots" have been sparked by a police incident?

or do you wonder about something else? your post is ambiguous to me.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #67
henry quirk

Spexx,

"the Sons of Liberty"

Who are they?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #68
henry quirk

V,

"do you wonder why black americans and white americans see the police differently?"

I wonder why folks insist on grouping themselves (or others).

Ain't no monoliths as far as I can tell.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #69
henry quirk

Spexx,

Looked 'em up.

You believe the Boston Tea Party is synonymous with what happened in Baltimore?

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/related/sons.htm

Doesn't seem the same at all to me.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #70
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

hq, I don't think you're being serious when you respond that way.

I said what I said in the context of the posts and the articles linked to in the posts. You may go back and read or reread them to help you understand. Also, I'm not suggesting that groups are monoliths. But there are groups, "black americans", "white americans", "rioters", these are just a few recently discussed examples.

As for grouping and groups, it's obvious to me, and many others, that groups are a useful organizing concept. I'm sure you knew that.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #71
henry quirk

V,

Yeah, I was pokin' at you.

But, seriously...

Surely, there are blacks who see police as whites (supposedly) do?

Surely, there are whites who see police as blacks (supposedly) do?

It's not groupings I object to but the assumption that ALL of a group feel or think the same way.

*shrug*
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #72
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

henry, Give it a rest, the riots are over. Now is the time for rebuilding. And I think that Mother did the right thing.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.

Last edited by fargon; 04-30-2015 at 11:18 AM.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #73
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Toad,

Obviously, we have very different ideas of what constitutes a statement of (my) philosophy.
It's not necessary for me to accurately describe any aspect of your philosophy in order for us to discuss this matter. If the word philosophy is troubling here then you may substitute "thinking" or "belief" or whatever meaning you might take in order to advance the conversation.

If I have your belief incorrect you may certainly correct me, and I would have to accept that; and then we move forward, which would be great. In the meantime, all we have is a semantic evasion of my point. You should avoid that. My point stands.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
If beating kids was gonna solve the violence problem in the black community, there would be no violence problem in the black community. AA kids are getting the belt every fucking day and they take their whuppin from Mom/Dad/Uncle/Aunty/Grandwhatever and then they take it out on their neighborhood.
Oh, is that right? Is that what happens in your neighborhood? Every kid gets beat up by family every day? Bullshit. Your over the top scenarios don't fly, except with the most rabid pacifists. You should write commercials for the Humane Society. When whites riot they do the same thing, does that mean they all get beat up every day.
I wasn't talking about children here anyway, I was talking about these punks who think they are dressing like ninjas when they're dressing like Hollywood clowns. What would you do? Say, "Son I'm disappointed in your anti-social outburst, we'll discuss this at length when you return home from the riot."
If so, you fail.

@Big-V. You're right, I linked the wrong version of the article which was co-published at Pro-Publica and Politico.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #75
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

thanks for the new link. still, what do you wonder about?