The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #316
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Meanwhile in Germany...

Fuhgeddaboudit.

Quote:
Germany's Highest Court Rules Convicted Murderer Has the 'Right to Be Forgotten' Online

Germany's highest court decided that a man convicted of murder in 1982 has the right to be forgotten, meaning his name can be removed from online search results.

Also known as the "right to erasure", the "right to be forgotten" rule gives EU citizens the right to request that data about them be deleted.

In a statement released on Wednesday, the judges said that while it was allowable for search engines to provide news reports on current crimes, "the justifiable public interest in reports that made perpetrators identifiable decreased over time."

The man hoping to be forgotten was part of a major news story in Germany in 1982. As a crew member of a sailing ship named Apollonia, the man shot and killed two people and severely injured another following an argument on board. …

… Germany has a long history of data protection, dating back to the 1960s. In 1977, Germany enacted the first Data Protection Act at the federal level. They also have what one newspaper described as "one of the world's toughest laws around hate speech." ...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #317
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Fuhgeddaboudit.
The only thing that ought to be in the Memory Hole is the Memory Hole.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #318
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
The only thing that ought to be in the Memory Hole is the Memory Hole.
True.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #319
monster
I hear them call the tide

Meanwhile in California

Penis fish
Old 12-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #320
sexobon

Meanwhile in Dallas, Texas...

Quote:
SEAL Running for Congress Violates Rules by Showing Up in Uniform, Launches Campaign in Wrong District

It wasn't the best way to start a Congressional campaign. Retired U.S. Navy SEAL Floyd McLendon wore his Navy dress whites to his campaign kickoff in Dallas, Texas in November. Unfortunately, it's against regulation to wear his uniform to such an event—which was held in the wrong district.

His choice to wear his Navy dress whites uniform violated a Department of Defense policy which prohibits members of the Navy and Marine Corps from "wearing uniforms of the naval service while attending or participating in a demonstration, assembly, or activity knowing that a purpose of the demonstration, assembly or activity supports personal or partisan views on political, social, economic or religious issues."

That regulation also applies to retired Navy SEALS, such as McLendon.

McLendon, who is running for a seat in the 32nd Congressional District, kicked off his campaign in the 30th Congressional District.

"I don't know if I can think of a time where somebody kicked off their campaign in some place that wasn't in their district," Lone Star Project Democratic strategist told Business Insider. "And then it would be really outrageous is when they didn't realize it was in their district. They need to have a pretty darn good reason for kicking off their event in a district in another one they're running in." ...
Old 12-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #321
Griff
still says videotape

not the best launch
Old 12-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #322
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My guess is the R movers/shakers/strategists picked him out and talked him into running. I can hear them saying we'll handle everything you just show up when and where you're told and we'll get you the job... and chicks for free.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #323
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

With gerrymandering, sometimes you can be in the wrong district when at the wrong house on a block.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #324
sexobon

Meanwhile in the UK...

Name:  Inclined Toilet.jpg
Views: 4008
Size:  80.5 KB

Quote:
The toilet, as a technology, has been steadily improving. Indoor plumbing is far superior to chamber pots and outhouses, and automatic-flush sensors beat pulling a grimy handle manually. But a design concept that rapidly attained online notoriety this week brazenly suggested that the way to make toilets better is to make them worse.

The concept, called the StandardToilet, has a seat that’s set at an incline and lightly strains users’ legs, making it unpleasant to sit on for longer than five minutes or so. The discomfort is intentional: The toilet gets people, especially workers, out of the bathroom (and off their phones) and back to whatever it is they’re supposed to be doing. To this end, according to the StandardToilet website, “the optimum angle of the gradient shall be between 11-13 degrees.” Its patent, though, covers everything from a gentle 5 degrees to a perilous 35, which would be like perching on a playground slide.

The makers of the StandardToilet declined a request for a phone interview, but explained to me over email that the toilet’s angled seat accomplishes two goals: On top of getting employees back to work in a timely manner, its design, the makers claim, reduces the risk of hemorrhoids. “We see it as a win/win situation for both employers and employees,” said a representative handling press inquiries.
theatlantic.com

standardtoilet.net

btaloos.co.uk
Old 12-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #325
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They grossly underestimate the ability of the bear to shit in the woods.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:29 AM   #326
Griff
still says videotape

That must be the crapper Orange Lad is whining about.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #327
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

From the letters column of this morning's edition of The Times...

Quote:
SPIKED SEAT

Sir, Reading about the mechanical process that discourages lounging on the lavatory (report, Dec 18, and letter, Dec 19) brought back the painful memory of the steel spike that jutted from the wall behind the place of blessed repose in the Appelby Frodingham steelworks in Scunthorpe.

Leaning back to savour a moment’s blessed respite from the blast furnaces brought you up sharply and with considerable pain.
I immediately joined the union but the spike of Scunthorpe steel, which had been put there by management, remained in place until the 1970s.

Steve Pound

MP for Ealing North 1997-2019; London W7
Old 12-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #328
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At Westinghouse Steam Turbine they took all the doors off the stalls.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #329
glatt

Meanwhile in Harpers Ferry, the Appalachian Trail is going to be closed for a while.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #330
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll bet it was the PTA.