The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #76
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Everyone knows, weight is bad in airplane design.
But, when they were designing the Boeing 777-200ER, a plane that weighs something like half a million pounds, they calculated for flying a 3,000-mile flight, cutting 2,500 pounds could save about 23,250 gallons of jet fuel.

At an average price of $1.66 per gallon, that's almost $39,000 saved on one transcontinental flight.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:47 AM   #77
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
My last x-gf is from Wyndmoor; we stayed at her parent's place a few times. So, I had to lookup Jeffersonville, I guess for old time's sake. Today, I learned where Jeffersonville is.
That one I already know.

Maggie's out of the borough, but she is in Norristown. Being out of the borough, though, makes all of the difference.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:17 AM   #78
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Today I learned that the best way to make the assistant in the Mens Dept. uncomfortable is to look him in the eye and say "I'm not gay, but I'll learn.".

The wife hates shopping with me.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #79
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
limey,
zippyt, you get on over here and I'll buy you that Guinness!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #80
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Maggie's out of the borough, but she is in Norristown. Being out of the borough, though, makes all of the difference.
Most of it. I'm protected from the effects of the lame borough government, but not from the school district.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:25 AM   #81
Kozmique
Pirate Queen

I thought I was kicking butt in dance class and learning the choreography but then the teacher injured her knee, so she sat in a chair and we did it without her in front, and it turns out no one in class can remember sh** without watching her. Now she's going to make a point of making us dance without her every week.
Kozmique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #82
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Everyone knows, weight is bad in airplane design.
But, when they were designing the Boeing 777-200ER, a plane that weighs something like half a million pounds, they calculated for flying a 3,000-mile flight, cutting 2,500 pounds could save about 23,250 gallons of jet fuel.
Cutting 2,500 pounds from "my" airplane would make it lighter than air; it's not allowed to fly if it weighs more than 2,500lbs.

Only seats four, and there's no lav. Would take several hops to go transcontinental too.

That said, weight is even more of an issue for a little airplane...

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Another airplane tidbit.....
The Kevlar band made to encircle the engine fan is about three inches thick and two feet wide.
This containment ring is so strong that it can absorb the energy equivalent to stopping a ten-thousand-pound automobile traveling at 70 miles an hour in five inches!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #84
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

During the development of the engine for the 777, there were a series of shows about its design, development, testing, etc. There were many shows and one of them, on the engine, had a segment that featured that retaining ring. It showed in extreme slow motion the result of many different insults. They fired a frozen turkey into the spinning turbine blades (sliced frozen turkey, in case you were wondering), they tried to drown it with enough water to simulate storm that dumped 22" of rain (boring. wet.) and they showed what happened when a designated turbine blade came loose. That was interesting. It was painted white, and when it came out, it moved outward from the center of course. But the clearance was so slight that it immediately collided with both the inside of the shroud and the turbine blades following it. Several broke and the whole mess of them continued their outward path. One camera angle was from outside the engine looking at the spot where the blades would have come out (in the absence or failure of your band) and all we could see was a little movement under the fabric, as if something were moving under a sheet. Then nothing.

Until now I hadn't understood what was going on there that produced the effect I saw. Now I know more, but I'm just as amazed.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #85
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What I learned last night:

If a recipe doesn't specify what heat to have your grill at, start off on Low. Aubergines go from well-done, to burnt, to ON FIRE!!!! in the time it takes you to cross the kitchen.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #86
lilMarduk
Fresh Meat

Today, I learned how to experimentally determine the rate constant and law of a reaction. And that undergrad chemistry is great fun!
lilMarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #87
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Technically, I learned this yesterday but whatever...

Pontiac Grand Ams make a weird crunching noise when a semi runs them over.

Phila drivers are INSANE!

This guy is one of the dumbest drivers on the planet! How do you not see a semi the size of a small house, lit up like a cruise ship at night, on a well-lighted street, flashing THREE sets of turn signals, making a turn at less then five mph and then try to get past it on the right???

Wish the pics had come out better than black with a shiny thing on it so I could show you the wages of stupidity.

And I barely felt it (felt like a curb to me). Damage to truck: a scuff on a tire, a small scratch on the lower rail and nothing else.

I'll find out what safety dept has to say in a few days. Could be anything from "Oops!" to "You're fired!". I'll let y'all know.

Brian
Old 02-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #88
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
I'll find out what safety dept has to say in a few days. Could be anything from "Oops!" to "You're fired!". I'll let y'all know.

Brian
Yikes. Good luck with that.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #89
monster
I hear them call the tide

I learned just how much the other half and I laugh. Which is nice.

My hubby had thyroid surgery yesterday and now it really hurts when he laughs. We didn't realize how often that was before. And of course not being able to laugh make you want to.... I'm staying out of eye contact for now. He's literally in danger of laughing his head off Poor thing.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #90
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Today I learned that there's a preservative in a lot of bread which sends kids loopy (apparently).