The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Unemployment Benes

Well, they cut benes for the unemployed right before the holidays and now they say they won't budge on anything until tax cuts are across the board - including cuts for the uber-wealthy.

When the revolution comes I will be knitting by my fireside, and like madame Defarge, I will see nothing.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You will be unraveling what you've knitted.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
... they won't budge on anything until tax cuts are across the board - including cuts for the uber-wealthy.
Whereas most people pay 22+% taxes - the lower incomes pay a higher percentage. According to Sen Alan Simpson (the retired Wyoming Republican who is blunt angry about this grid lock), the upper 1% are paying only 16%.

Meanwhile, jobs are not created by that upper 1%. They are only protecting their wealth and incomes; create no new jobs; take no risks; create no innovations. The job creators are lower income people who strive to become that 1%.

Republicans want to protect tax cuts that only enriched the richest 1%. People who are living freely off the fat of the land and past accomplishments. Tax cuts for those who strive to become rich, basically, never existed.

Republicans stated they want to harm America - so that Obama will not be relected. Sen Mike McConnell basically said that. Screw what America needs. Enrich only those who contribute mostly to the Republican party.

Limbaugh says it is good. Therefore we should all believe it.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
freshnesschronic
Professor

I am a 2010 college graduate and I am SO discouraged with my job search, it almost hits me in my core.

I was supposed to hear a final answer back today from an interview I had Monday (they were looking to fill spot very soon) but it's well past business hours and have not heard anything.

I'm not expert on government, on anything really...I just hope those guys in the big offices create jobs for the college graduates who still have to live at home at work at the mall now...
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
I'm not expert on government, on anything really...I just hope those guys in the big offices create jobs for the college graduates ...
You know what to expect. This recession - the worst of three types - is created by overt and grotesque economic mismanagement. On schedule, the recession ended earlier this year. And jobs continue to be lost for another 18 months.

Government cannot create jobs. It can temporarily save jobs. Only innovation creates jobs. And that happens mostly in industry. History says it takes about 18 months after the recession ends for jobs to be created. Expect things to continue to be bad until maybe next spring.

Again, this is a recession created by economic mismanagement at the highest levels in the 2000s. We have it in America. Also ongoing in Greece, Ireland, and elsewhere. Classic examples of how money games by the corrupt and protected (tax cuts without spending cuts, bond market fiascos, Wall Street types doing what they do best - lying, Enron accounting, etc) years previously means everyone must be severely punished now. Same thing happens when Nixon lied about Vietnam in 68 and 70. No jobs throughout the second half of the 70s.

That concept should be taught in Economics. And is not. Appreciate why things will be so tough. Its not you. It is extremist politics that still say tax cuts create jobs. An obvious lie that could may prolong job losses. Jobs are only created after fiscal responsibility starts paying the bills - ie for Misson Accomplished. And are not created by the richest people who get all those tax cuts. Remember where you were when our leaders in 2003 were mortgaging your job prospects. And when these disasters were being predicted by some here in the Cellar in 2003.

Expect the job market to be bad until at least next Spring. A lesson from history and economic analysis of this type of recession. Companies that lead with new jobs will be ones that innovate.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Expect the job market to be bad until at least next Spring. A lesson from history and economic analysis of this type of recession. Companies that lead with new jobs will be ones that innovate.
Then expect inflation to kick in as a result of the QE2 program of the Federal Reserve Bank.
Oh joy
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #7
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

hell as far as the economy goes...i don't even know where to begin on this. i used to make over 100k a year in electrical design for the oil & gas industry here in houston. now? 10 bucks an hour at a go kart track. c'mon man. bring on the spring time! all cloudy days give way to bright and sunny.....right?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
i used to make over 100k a year .... now? 10 bucks an hour at a go kart track.
Those who control the wealth like it just fine that way. You'll try to make the same amount by working 10,000 hours this year, and someone benefits from your additional productivity.

I've done my part as a taxpayer, when the government used my money to help businesses in trouble, and didn't complain. I did my part as a consumer, spending every cent that I earn, and didn't complain. Corporate America is sitting on huge cash reserves. It's time that that they do their part and hire people and pay those people a wage that can support a middle class family.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Then expect inflation to kick in as a result of the QE2 program of the Federal Reserve Bank.
The irony of this recession. Because so much wealth was created by inventing assets. By converting paper (ie mortgage backed securities) into assets. By inventing higher housing prices using money games. Therefore massive liquidity has simply disappeared. The average citizen was financially raped. Even with stimulus (ie $700 billion TARP), the amount of liquidity has diminished. Nobody realized how massive our fiscal corruption was. Bernie Madoff only an example of what was acceptable.

As a result, we are not suffering inflation. A fear (using Japan as a learning tool) is of deflation.

Unfortunately, too many economists believe money games can fix an economy. It did not work in Japan for 20 years. It never works. And still some economists are calling for 'healthy inflation'. Or something similar. Price increases. As usual, some economists that can see history also refuse to learn from it.

2000s is when all Americans were extremely wealthy (while the average American saw his income drop 2%). Wealth because tax cuts 'improved' the economy. Our political extremists told us so – even citing the Kennedy tax cut. Now learn from history and Kennedy’s tax cut. Money spent in 2000s means economics must take greater revenge in 2010s.

Massive government debts (ie tax cuts for the rich) meant everyone was wealthy (how good was it for you?). George Jr called that returning wealth to the people. Economics now takes a predicted revenge. All Americans must suffer today for tax cuts and other money games in the 2000s. Since this recession was created by financial games stealing from the public, deflation also exists.

We could start paying the bills and fix things. But wacko extremists want the richest Americans to only pay 16% while all others (including those who create most jobs) pay 22% or higher.

That is where your jobs have gone. Money games because "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter". If you do not know who said that, then you must be an ostrich. Deflation – not inflation – is another symptom of massive wealth squandered by the richest 5% Americans. So they need more welfare - more tax cuts - so that economics will take more revenge in 2020.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
I am a 2010 college graduate and I am SO discouraged with my job search, it almost hits me in my core.

I was supposed to hear a final answer back today from an interview I had Monday (they were looking to fill spot very soon) but it's well past business hours and have not heard anything.

I'm not expert on government, on anything really...I just hope those guys in the big offices create jobs for the college graduates who still have to live at home at work at the mall now...
I've been applying for any number of low-grade jobs since I got mine (Teaching Assistant). I've had one interview. For those who don't know, I have a job, but can't start until my enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check comes through; I have a normal CRB, but this is not adequate for staff, only volunteers.

So every week I go to the Job Centre, sign on, and prove I am actively seeking work. Some weeks I bother, and apply right left and centre. Some weeks I scramble around on Monday morning applying for anything available at the last minute before my appointment. It doesn't seem to make any difference. I've been passed over for retail work, bar work, waitressing etc. I think the only way I'd be successful is if I was still applying for work with children - but for obvious reasons it's the one field I'm avoiding. FTR - if I applied for a position similar to the one I've already been offered in another school I'd still have to wait for the same paperwork.

The whole thing is a waste of the Government's money, but it's a Government check I am waiting for.

But I guess I'm lucky to still be receiving benefits.
The hour or so I spend looking for work and attending the job centre is hardly worth the money I receive. But honestly, I'd rather apply for all the part-time work I see advertised and make my own way. It's just it's not worth it, knowing my "real" job will come through any day now, and I'll waste the time of anyone who employs me. And pretty much everyone offering part-time hours are small businesses. Still, who's to say I'd even get those jobs when I've been passed over for so many others!

Honestly, there's not a lot out there. And when people come on the radio (the bathroom radio is tuned into a talk station) and say "I'd do anything to work if I was unemployed!" I don't think they realise that their perceived sacrifice might not even be available. And if it is, it's only available for such limited hours a week that the main family breadwinner cannot possibly survive on it.

The right wing tabloids love to bleat on about scroungers and dolescum and benefits-Britain, but it's not all council house tenants with 13 children and immigrants in five bedroom houses. From my experience I assume there are many people genuinely looking for work that isn't there. People who were previously happy in office or factory work and are now at their wit's end.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

People being at wit's end - that's why I'm going to knit for the revolution.

We are punishing these people here in the US AND giving the millionaires/billionaires tax relief. We will reap what we sow.

The French idea is looking better and better...../radical/devil
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Sundae, what you say is true here, too. At least from what I can see. My husband has been applying everywhere. He has had a few call backs, but mostly nothing. He had one interview, in which he was told he needed a college degree to work there. Company policy. Unfortunately, he doesn't have one. Just 10-12 years experience in his field.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
He has had a few call backs, but mostly nothing.
I still do not see people complaining about a bottom line problem. This recession was created because extremists have been enriching the super rich years (and other self serving lies). Tax cuts to those who do not create the jobs.

As Limbaugh said, extremists want Obama to fail. Extremists will do anything to continue the misery. For example, extensions of unemployment benefits were terminated. The working man is being too lazy – according to extremists. Sen Mike McConnell said the Republican agenda is only to make Obama a one term president. So extremists are stifling all legislation - everything - until the wacko extremists get super rich tax rates restored to 16% or less. So how is that job search going?

Meanwhile, these same extremists (especially tea party) are hyping about the debt. But forget to mention what must be cut due to a decade of unnecessary wars – that extremists invented and love. Same extremists will not mention five things that must be cut seriously due to Saddam's WMDS and other lies: defense, agricultural subsidies (especially ethanol), Medicare, Medicaid (especially the part that keeps drug prices 40% higher), and Social Security.

Karzai of Afghanistan says he needs American troops in Afghanistan for another nine years. Of course. We could have won in 2003 when George Jr instead surrendered. We now protect a most corrupt government – déjà vue Nam – in a country that no longer trusts us due to that 2003 surrender. Extremist Republicans says this is good. More domestic jobs that will never be created. Are you tired of jobs now lost because of Mission Accomplished in 2003? Also Afghanistan for nine years. And Karzai says he needs us fighting a very expensive war on the other side of the world … for another nine years. How much does each gallon of gas now cost us over there? $150 per gallon? $500?

We are there because wacko extremists let bin Laden go free. More jobs lost. That is what wars do. Extremist say this is also good. More reasons for Obama to fail.

When times were best - when American wealth was increasing massively due to the money games. The average American saw his income drop 2%. Thank you George Jr. People who would make the future jobs have less income. Republican extremists say this is good as long as we further enrich the richest 5%. Especially now that the super rich can do unrestricted campaign contributions to those who give them government welfare.

Meanwhile, how is your job search going. Better take anything you can find. Republicans say that is also good. And claim your taxes were always lower the past decade. A tax cut is you with less income - a 2% reduction in the past decade. Therefore less taxes even while paying a higher tax rate. And now a 10% unemployment. More lower taxes. Extremists forget to mention that part when Beck spins the myths.

How big is your Christmas bonus? Wall Street executives took near record bonuses (except where press made them an example). This year, $multi-million bonuses will be smaller. As in 1929 when stock brokers reaped profits as the economy crashed. So they need Republican extremists to keep their taxes lower - government welfare. Strange how they pay lower or near zero taxes to fix the debt. Or is that connection too difficult for soundbyte loving tea partiers?

Republican extremists are even going to war against gays, lesbians, etc. More strategies to subvert Obama. To make Obama fail. As long as they can gridlock government with strawman fears of gays, then you will blame Obama. Not the wacko extremists such as Sen Mike McConnell who is leading a subversion of government – and more tax cuts for the rich. His agenda is to keep things bad - so that Obama will not be reelected. He said so. Wackos extremists (ie Beck, Fox News) say this is good.

So how is that job search going? Many of you will still vote for these wacko extremists. They have you brainwashed into thinking liberal verses conservative. How is that job search going? Asks a moderate who reminds you of violent confrontations here when extremists were vigorously challenged for advocating what has created this economy. We now know the moderate was right. Same people who protected Bernie Madoff, promoted the Enrons, and foolishly got 70% of us to believe Saddam had WMDs. Same extremists who have created today’s job market. So how is that job search going now that extremists fixed the economy starting in 2000? Who publically stated they want the economy harmed so that Obama will fail? You never were important.

Extremists are getting what they want. Who lost most in the last election? Moderates. The people who work for America – not for political agendas. Only moderates and extremists exist. Not liberals and conservatives. Congress will now be more extremist than ever. So how is that job search going – because extremism in the 2000s did so much for the American economy?

Now they want unemployment benefits terminated. Because so many Americans are so dumb as listen to the "liberal verses conservative" rhetoric. Less jobs created because wacko politicians want only to enriched the super rich. And got so many victims to believe their lie – that the rich create the new jobs.

Bill Gates created thousands – maybe millions – of jobs when he was getting rich. How many jobs does he create today? Did extremists forget to mention that part while further enriching the richest? Richest people do not create jobs. If you learn facts, then Limbaugh, Hannity, Fox News, et al are liars - anti-American - your enemy. How is that job search going now that the people who create most jobs are in the same economic malaise as you?

A moderate accurately warned in 2003 that such wars have a history of harming economies four and ten years later. But never figured wacko extremists would intentionally make things this worse. Even my estimate (well beyond what anyone else thought) of $400 billion for Mission Accomplished has now exceeded $1000 billion. Are you being silent about our extremists? Therefore campaigning (by your silence) to make things worse so that Obama will fail? How is that job search going? Welcome to the legacy of extremist that loves wars, welfare for the rich, Enron accounting, and deficit spending (that they blame on Democrats). How is that job search going now that extremists so fixed the economy in the 2000s?

Last edited by tw; 12-05-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Did you all know that the unemployment benefits extension was a tragedy on par with Pearl Harbor and Elizabeth Edwards' death? Christine O'Donnell thinks so, landing her on Cooper's Ridiculist.

Someone stick a fork in this idiot, she's done.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

christine made MY ridiculist a looooooooong time ago.

—James Barrie