The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Is there a Tea Party kind of thing in England or elsewhere?

Yes, I guess Nationalists or Nazis of Facists but can I send my fu-cking Senator Ted Cruz to your country????
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Well we have UKIP. Who describe themselves as libertarians.

They're generally considered a protest vote though.
I can't think many people believe they could govern.

I have a horrid feeling they will do well in the local elections (today.)
And an even horrider feeling that the 'rents have voted for them. Lib Dems are our middle party, and are in a coaltion with the Tories. Said Conservatives are the major power in Govt and so blamed for everything wrong at present, especially the cuts. Labour left the country in a right old state (few people seem to have noticed that the rest of the world was in the same situation) and so are reviled for taking us to the brink of disaster.

So the UK Independence Party, who want to send furriners back where they came from, get out of the European Union, repeal all Health and Safety laws, cancel the European Convention on Human Rights, bring back the death penalty, stop overseas funding, kill all hommasexshuls etc etc are mopping up votes here there and everywhere.

Some of the above is conjecture.

I don't just object to them politically - although I do object to them, vehemently - but they are a disorganised mob. They play on people's fears but have few policies and little cohesion. They are a party formed in protest. They haven't yet realised that the UK does not stand alone in this world, cannot exist in isolation and needs neighbours and allies. Oh and it's not the 1950's. Which were a dark and bloody time in their own right, as Grandad and my Dad's older brothers told me.

It trades on hate. Well fine. I hate it back.

And no. You keep Ted Cruz.
We have Nigel Farage (UKIP) and he's bad enough. Americans generally do things bigger, so Cruz is bound to be worse. Hang on, didn't he have a run-in with Piers Morgan recently?
Now I'm am no Piers Morgan fan. But I'm still naive enough to consider him right-wing. Different worlds...
Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think the Piers Morgan thing you're thinking of might be Alex Jones:

And even if it's not, the Alex Jones video is highly entertaining.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

yeah, I thought UKIP and Farage when I read the question. Though, they are a separate party, rather than a loonytunes movement within a wider mainstream party. There is a bit of a nutty Christian group within the larger Conservative party, who seem to have quite a lot of sway. That's where a lot of the pro-life and homophobic noise is coming from.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Tea Party started out as separate, but the Republicans bought them out.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

My wife tells me to not worry about the TP. At the rate they are going they seem to be more of a problem for Republicans getting elected. A few get voted in like my new crazy senator but they helped flip a few races last year towards Democrats or more central Republicans. And Senators are much more vulnerable to loosing in future elections as they are not protected by the convoluted system of redistricting that makes it so hard to vote out House members. They are like little kingdoms.

FYIW, I am an independent and won't just vote based on a party but more on the candidates position.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A tea party? England?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote