The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #6091
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Fucking Bezos.

Amazon is pushing so hard to get me to buy into their Prime racket. They want me to pay the membership fee and shop more exclusively with them, and in return, they offer deals on shipping and stuff.

But the pushing is being done with a carrot and a stick. The carrot I don't mind so much. I can just turn it down. But the stick is annoying me.

I bought a replacement handle for a sink on Saturday from Amazon. It was eligible for free shipping. So they sent me a confirmation email right away that I indeed bought this thing (and they may have charged my card) and now it's Tuesday, and it's like crickets chirping. They have the item in their warehouse, and they can easily pick it up and ship it, but they are just burning time. I'm not a Prime member, so they are deliberately making me wait. When they get around to shipping it in a day or two, they will ship it with their standard two-day delivery. It costs them the exact same amount of money to process and ship my order promptly or wait a few days. But since I'm not a Prime member, they are just parking my order for a few days.

Free market and all that. I could take my business elsewhere. What they are doing is fair. But I also have the right to say Fuck You, Bezos.
We talked about this a while ago. I'm still trying to figure Amazon out and wonder if I should be shopping elsewhere. They make it convenient, all under one roof. But other online vendors have got to be better.

My last order was for over $200. Bunch of stuff. Ordered October 26. A week and 4 days ago. 9 business days total, or 11 actual days. They still haven't shipped it yet according to their display. Nobody is that slow in 2015. Bezos is deliberately making non-Prime customers wait to get their stuff. One of the items was fulfilled by a third party and came a week ago. The Amazon stuff hasn't shipped yet.

The advice I give you is that if you are not a Prime member, and are doing any Christmas shopping on Amazon, order by about Dec. 5th. Or suck it up and pay the $100 for Prime.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #6092
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

They told you delivery would be between Nov. 5-7 when you ordered it, right? Or have they been changing the delivery date as it sits and waits?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #6093
glatt

They have not lied to me. They told me it would take this long.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #6094
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I ran smack into a new stick, looking for something and see a product labeled, "Prime Members Only". It explained the item was in short supply and only available to Prime members until a sufficient supply was available.

Up to this point the stick has been like walking through brush, just little whacks like extra clicks and shit. But if I was seriously attempting to buy that item, that would have pissed me off to no end, the deal breaker, put them on my shitlist... and they wouldn't care.

We're talking about the largest in the world, numero uno, the big kahuna, replaced WW II as the big one. Unlike city hall, where you can't win but you can piss on the front steps and run, you can't even piss on Bezo's steps. Screwing Amazon for thousands of dollars may give you satisfaction, but they might not even notice. We've fed the puppy until it grew into a vicious untamable cur.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #6095
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I ran smack into a new stick, looking for something and see a product labeled, "Prime Members Only". It explained the item was in short supply and only available to Prime members until a sufficient supply was available.
Ooh, haven't seen that one yet. That does smack of elitism. I bet within 5 years they will be a subscription-only service. Which, hey, places like Costco do, it's not unheard of. But that clearly seems to be the direction they're headed.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #6096
glatt

The package was just delivered two minutes ago by a local courier in a minivan.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #6097
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

customers who don't show up on time and don't let you know they're going to be late till you ask them where they are, irritate me.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #6098
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

and then want to stand on the footpath in 1000000% humidity with their fondant covered cake chatting about how amazing their kid is (who is having a $300 cake for their birthday). Meanwhile, the modeled Elsa crown on top starts to collapse. :/
Old 11-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #6099
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Whyso Griff?
I think I misplayed emojos. I just found that an amusing exchange.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #6100
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

People who fart silently in libraries and make the rest of us look sideways at eachother wondering who dealt it.

And NO it wasn't me.
I'm having trouble with my stomach, not my bowels.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #6101
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

IF it was me dealing .... I'd post that in the "Mildly amusing" thread..
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #6102
Clodfobble

Damn credit card number got stolen for the second time in less than a year. Now I have to wait 10 days for a new one. It's my own fault for only maintaining one of them. I need to get a second one just so that when it inevitably goes under, I don't have to buy gas with cash for a week and a half.

The false charge that got flagged and made the card company instantly deny it and then call me? $4,000+ at a liquor store in Pennsylvania. Glad to hear that's still not considered normal, even for Pennsylvania.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #6103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's only normal at PA liquor stores if you're a resident.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #6104
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

i did nothing

they can prove nothing
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #6105
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Damn credit card number got stolen for the second time in less than a year. Now I have to wait 10 days for a new one. It's my own fault for only maintaining one of them. I need to get a second one just so that when it inevitably goes under, I don't have to buy gas with cash for a week and a half.

The false charge that got flagged and made the card company instantly deny it and then call me? $4,000+ at a liquor store in Pennsylvania. Glad to hear that's still not considered normal, even for Pennsylvania.
It's 'cause they checked the security cameras and didn't see you peeing on the floor in the aisle, so they knew it wasn't you.

Tags
mild cheddar