The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #76
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hey, it's plausible!

Mr. Burns had a million dollar bill!

(but, sadly, Castro tricked him out of it)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #77
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #78
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Don't know when this made the rounds, but this idiot is in dire need of a brain douche.

Name:  jimmcneishisanasshole.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  153.8 KB

What a fucking dick.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #79
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I get what he's saying.

Those of us outside America who had regularly experienced terrorism did have this kind of reaction. The Police, the Armed Forces , the taxi drivers and builders and fast food delivery people who died during The Troubles didn't seem to impact America.
The children, the shoppers, the school-aged musicians didn't excite much disgust.
The veterans lined up to acknowledge their fallen comrades and then bombed by their own countrymen didn't get enough attention - because how much could ever be enough?

11 September was a horrific act of terrorism. Like any terrorist act, it hit and hurt people who had nothing to do with the politics or situation that inspired it. Innocent people died, and died horribly. People who are sworn to serve did serve. And many went above and beyond. And even those that didn't, and lived, have terrible memories to live with.

I had a friend who used to volunteer with the Red Cross. She witnessed the aftermath of a plane crash. Even though she knew her input on that day helped immensely, she quit after that. She simply could not live day to day in the knowledge that she might face that again.

So on review, I don't agree with the article above.
He lives in Iowa City.
He lives in America.
I can't send him back in time to Belfast as it was. But even if he went now, and interviewed police, ambulance drivers, firemen, builders, taxi drivers, pizza delivery people, school children, etc etc he'd understand what it is like to live in fear of your life. And to do that and still keep on in your average wage job makes you a fucking hero in my mind.

If he wants to use the term pathetic and spoiled for his countrymen then that is his right.
I'd respect him far more if he went somewhere dangerous enough to juxtapose that.
Otherwise it's just whining.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #80
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'd agree with that Sundae. Though, I think what made 9/11 so shocking was the scale of it as well. Had something of that magnitude happened during the Troubles I think the whole world would have looked on in horror and shock. Instead it was the drip drip of constant smaller scale attacks across decades.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #81
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

True dat.
But I suggest it made day to day life appalling.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #82
Griff
still says videotape

I don't know how you guys stood up to that. The assholes over here who funded them didn't get it until 9/11. I still remember going out the Saint Patricks Day after 9/11 and the band refusing to play a rebel song. We make such a media circus out of everything over here that things cease to be real. Remembering how over-blown the Beltway Sniper was vs the Belfast bombings when both are pretty remote from me leaves me looking for perspective.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #83
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I still say he's a fucking dick.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #84
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

He's still single, I should hope? The way Michael Newdow is single, though preferably without issue?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #85
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Not checked for truthiness...

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  140.3 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  83.4 KB
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  88.1 KB

Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #86
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Id10T of the Day - Apr 25, 2012

from Yahoo!News

Quote:
A Florida couple was on a weekend camping trip that ended in an airlift to the emergency room.

Steven Egan, 52, was hunting with his girlfriend, Lisa Simmons, in the northern part of the state when he mistook her for a hog and shot her.

"He saw a hog and thought he shot it and went to look for it," Maj. Steve Clair of the Flagler County Sheriff's Office told ABC News. "He heard her and thought it was a hog and just shot."

The mistake was not actually related to her appearance. Rather, Egan had earlier shot at a hog that continued to evade him. He reportedly instructed Simmons to stay at their campsite while he pursued the evasive animal, according to the Flagler County Sheriff's Office However, Simmons ventured away from the campsite, apparently searching for oranges that had fallen from nearby trees.

When Egan heard rustling in the woods, he fired in her direction without first making visual confirmation with his intended target. Instead, Simmons was struck in the legs by a .30-caliber bullet from Egan's gun. She was airlifted to the nearby Halifax Health Medical Center where she is listed as being in serious condition.

Authorities say they aren't planning to charge Egan in the accidental shooting.

"He was very sympathetic that he'd shot his girlfriend," Maj. Clair said. "It was an accident. I think it was just a violation of one of the cardinal rules of hunting which is you never shoot what you don't see."
Idjit.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #87
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
When Egan heard rustling in the woods, he fired in her direction without first making visual confirmation with his intended target.
That is beyond idiot. We need a new word.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #88
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Here is a story about creative, young, desperate idiots. Drinking hand sanitizing gel? You're kidding, right? Nope, not kidding.

Quote:
The California Poison Control System has received 60 reports of teenagers drinking hand sanitizer since 2010, showing the dangerous trend is not unique to Los Angeles.

Hand sanitizer, which has 62% ethyl alcohol, produces a potent drink that can cause alcohol poisoning. Some of the cases involve teenagers who used salt to separate out the alcohol.

There were also 147 cases involving children ages 6 to 12 and 2,180 cases ages 0 to 5, believed to have accidentally ingested the gel, according to poison control service, part of the UC San Francisco's Department of Clinical Pharmacy.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #89
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

from RT.com

Quote:
An Indiana police chief’s day ended with a bang when he accidentally shot himself in the leg on Saturday – the second time in his career that he’s turned his own gun on his body.

David Councellor is running to become Fayette County’s new sheriff, but he chose the wrong way to make headlines when he unintentionally discharged his 40-caliber Glock handgun while perusing other firearms at a local gun shop.

A 33-year veteran of the Connersville Police Department, Councellor had taken his Glock out to compare it to another gun in the store. When he tried putting the gun back into his holster, he found himself shooting his own thigh.

“I need to pay more attention,” Counceller said to the Palladium-Item. “I know what the dangers are. It was pure carelessness on my part.”

“It got tangled in my clothing,” Counceller added. “I was wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. I felt (the gun) go in the holster and I pushed it, but it was tangled in the material which caused it to discharge. The bullet went into my leg and then into the floor.”

Councellor suffered a flesh wound and was able to drive himself to the hospital for treatment. He said that he would be back to work on Tuesday.

Although Connersville Mayor Leonard Urban called Counceller “an excellent marksman,” this isn’t the first time the police chief has shot himself. About 15 years ago, he accidentally discharged his gun into his hand.

Despite his accidents, Councellor is hoping to draw some lessons from the unfortunate situation.

“If anyone says this could never happen to them, they’re mistaken,” Counceller said. “You have to keep your guard up at all times. Some candidates are out there doing things for kids to try to get elected. Me, I shoot myself. What a way to get publicity.”
I'd say that the criminals in Connersville, and Fayette county are prolly pretty safe. Anyone in line next to Chief Councellor, not so much.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #90
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  counterfeit40dollarbill.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  170.4 KB