The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Airport is one of my favorite books and favorite movies.

It is often in power rotation on Encore movie channel, so sometimes I'll see it on the channel guide and just flip it on to see where it is, just to catch some of my favorite parts (like Mrs. Quonset explaining how she gets onto planes or the dad in the development off the end of the runway freaking out while he's saying grace). I grew up in Chicago and flew out of O'Hare more times than I can remember, so there's a lot of nostalgia in the movie for me.

I thought it was a watch instantly on netflix, but I can't find it now.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Link

Yeh it worked real well. Please tell me she really isn't this stupid.

By fellow passengers, not anything that our system did.
She was our governor. Yes, she really is that fucking stupid.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
chrisinhouston
Professor

I hope I don't sound too idealistic but Roosevelt had a point when he said "all we have to fear is fear itself." The terrorists win whether they blow up a plane or just disrupt things which is what they are doing now. And their return on investment is pretty good when something like this happens, not much happens but they make the powerful very afraid, so in their eyes they have succeeded.

News reports say this guy had been in contact with a well known fanatical cleric in Yemen I think and possibly the same one that the nutjob in San Antonio at the army base was in contact with prior to shooting up thing there. Blowing up Yemen is a bit to simplistic but it seems like some kind of joint international pressure is needed.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Our powerful aren't afraid! They fly on private jets.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #20
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Our powerful aren't afraid! They fly on private jets.
Or on military jets when Congress wants to cavort in Scotland.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
Cloud

what no one is saying, and what I really want to know is . . .

did the guy actually blow his dick off?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
TheMercenary

I think he just burned it really well. Well done.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Well done" as in, no pink left in the middle?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #24
TheMercenary

Ok this is just getting stupid. What kind of idiot is in charge of TSA?

Quote:
WASHINGTON – Some airlines were telling passengers on Saturday that new government security regulations prohibit them from leaving their seats beginning an hour before landing

The regulations are a response to a suspected terrorism incident on Christmas Day.

Air Canada said in a statement that new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace. The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carryon baggage or to have any items on their laps.

Flight attendants on some domestic flights are informing passengers of similar rules. Passengers on a flight from New York to Tampa Saturday morning were also told they must remain in their seats and couldn't have items in their laps, including laptops and pillows.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_airlin...ck_regulations
Old 12-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #25
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Uh wrong thread - try this one . . . Link
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
chrisinhouston
Professor

"Ok this is just getting stupid. What kind of idiot is in charge of TSA?"

I fear the same idiots that got the TSA where they are today! For instance, I've seen several reports that TSA in some airports are not allowing any unmarked bottles of liquid in 3 oz or less size through security in carry on luggage, only commercial name brand bottles. So the TSA previously approved clear bottles sold by travel companies like Magellan and others or the ones you get at sporting goods stores like REI are now obsolete. If the bottle says Pantene Shampoo it is ok because a terrorist would never figure out that they could buy those and replace the contents with chemicals that could be used to make a bomb. This is the same TSA that made sure that anyone buying a one way ticket got extra rigorous searches because anyone with any sense would realize that would be terrorists only need a one way ticket and can save a few bucks on the ticket and not buy a leg they won't ever use.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
I don't understand why everyone else has to suffer. Make the terrorists suffer.
I'm glad you know how to identify them. Sell the secret to governments worldwide and you can make a fortune.
Quote:
Already, I find the security to be overbearing to the point that I don't fly commercial unless it is really necessary. I'm driving to more places that I would have flown to and rented a car before the advent of airline security.

I'm tired of prescreening my luggage. I'm teed off that I can't bring a snack or drink on board with me. I'm sick of ditching my lighter. I don't like moving all metal items to checked baggage prior to the flight. Taking off my shoes is just silly. The delays are onerous. Why in the world should I wait in a two hour line just to get on a plane? Punish the bad guys without making life miserable for everyone.
Yay! You also know how to identify the bad guys! Sell the secret to governments worldwide and you can make a fortune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
In addition to the inconvenience of the security screening [snip] I want the TSA to profile the heck out of people ... by behavior as well as demographics.
Funny, profiling by demographics is usually regarded as fascist. I know it fuelled unrest during the Troubles in Northern Ireland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
When we're so afraid someone might get their feelings hurt, at the expense of a boatload, um, planeload of innocent people...well, eff that.
You can be all for it, but it doesn't work. Targetting anyone coming into England with an Irish passport/ accent/ name only raised tensions. My friend's husband - a British Citizen of Pakistani parents - was held for hours at US Customs and questioned on everythign from his income to his bank statements. Both are decent Westernised Muslims (she has US nationality) but both were very shaken by the ordeal. I'm not saying check no-one. I'm just saying over-zealous targeting marginalises and potentially crimalises people. And is a far cry from American standards as I have learned them here.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #28
SamIam

I think the new rules are just stupid and they wouldn't have stopped this most recent nutter. He didn't get up, but remained seated, and the bomb was in his undies, not a copy of Reader's Digest. Just how unpleasant are they going to make flying, anyhow? You can't use the restroom and you can't even read a book. I'm glad that I no longer have the need to fly anywhere. I'd rather spend 8 hours in a car than 15 minutes on an airplane with these new and ridiculous rules.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

There's a bunch of Arabs or Iranians or whatever down at registration, talking furtively. They're probably not terrorists. But how do I know?

I just have to walk by and hope for no bombs. *shrugs* I never used to feel this way about anyone.

Being shaken by an ordeal is a small price to pay, for the safety of those who are just minding their own business in their own homes and places of work.

Like I said, I'll expect the same when I start running around Nigeria or Iraq.

So, deal with it, or don't fly. These are the times we live in. There is a choice, just not that one you all would like.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

:
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote