The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #31
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Different sorta thing all to gather , shape charges you the The monroe affect , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munroe_effect
not a copper slug persay , but the cavity is lined with copper to help it slid THRU the armor plate , from what I know
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge
Old 05-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #32
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, first it gets blasted into white heat by the hollow-charge explosive -- it's all an improvement on the antitank hollow charge missile of Panzerfaust and bazooka fame, and PIAT too. WW2 tech. In that time, they found a thin copper cone lining the business end of the hollow charge increased its piercing ability; this just seems an advance upon that.

Once formed, it torches its way in. Once it gets in, it sets absolutely everything on fire inside as well as busting everything to fragments, and also burns up all the oxygen. So I suppose the first stage of the fire is brief, but the crew by then is toast.

A DU projectile does a lot the same as far as fire and smashing goes, just by a different launch mechanism: not only is the entire interior hosed, not just showered, with white-hot bits of metal, you've got this nice heavy penetrator ricocheting around inside slowly dispersing its MV, striking more sparks and pretty much cutting up crew, munitions, and machinery into mixed junk, while either burning or exploding the high explosive from the main gun's shells. No wonder burning tanks throw glowing lumps out the hatches, or blow their turrets off.

Returning, somewhat, to thread: Fobble, that's what I should do, thanks. The quote-boxes tend to swallow the contrasts otherwise, and I've got otherwise... hmm, that's for IE, and I'm on Firefox...

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 05-29-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #33
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Oh the humanity!!! Turns out this hog wasn't so wild after all!

The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred.
The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Story linked here.

Dude, I can't believe the dad would let a story go out like that knowing full well the story wasn't exactly true. Heck, anyone can eventually shoot a 1,050 lb hog trapped on a 150 acre fenced property. I grew up on 26 acres...150 aint very big.

Liars...I hate liars. Exposes a big whole in all of those news outlets, doesn't it???
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The only difference that I can see, is that the kid might have been able to get closer for the first shot with a farm raised boar. Once it's wounded, it's wild. Farm raised doesn't negate the fact that this animal is capable of killing a man in a heartbeat.

Look at the picture and figure out how you could get through that undergrowth in the background, without making enough noise to alert any critter on the whole preserve.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #35
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Yea, good point, but knowing that big fella is out there, I'd probably change tactics. I know that he can't look up, so if I climbed a tree and just waited for him, I can shoot down. kablam. or in his case: kablam, kablam, kablam, kablam, kablam, kablam, kablam, kablam
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

As long as you're up there, just clamp a knife in your teeth and tackle him.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #37
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
As long as you're up there, just clamp a knife in your teeth and tackle him.
ROTFLMBO The mental picture just won't go away. Good 'un!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #38
rkzenrage

Told you it could not have been too far from the farm.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #39
lizzymahoney
Major Inhabitant

This doesn't surprise me either. I'm not generally into hunting for sport, but wouldn't a pig raised on a farm be considerably more docile and approachable? I know that farm pigs can easily kill the unwary, and that some have nasty dispositions. I'm just having trouble accepting that these people and the 11 year old kid didn't know the pig was an easy mark.

I also understand that 'easy mark' is relative. Something this size would not come down easy.

One thing that has been bothering me since I first heard about this particular beast's felling by a pre-teen is how do we know Dad didn't take any shots? Yeah, it's huge, but would it be as big a deal if an adult felled it?

It's just a human interest story. As such, it strikes me as a bit of a tall tale. Now why would I think that? It's believable to me that a kid could hunt big game with skills comparable to an adult's. When it makes the news, it's probably adults pushing it forward. As far as what they would have to gain, most people love being in the newspaper.
lizzymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #40
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm confused... they bought it, and released it into their own fenced farm, just so they could hunt it?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, they hunted it at a hunting preserve that had bought and released it.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #42
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So someone bought it and released it into their own fenced area so that someone else could pay to hunt it? People are so weird.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There are lot's of hunting preserves in Texas.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #44
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
There are lot's of hunting preserves in Texas.
And they are Fenced in at that, designed to keep the trophy bucks on the inside and closely control the herd. I may go hunt in one in the near future. I just want it to be big enough so it feels less like a pen and more like the natural landscape. Some awsome bucks are raised in these places.