The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #1531
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, familiarity generally breeds a more generous watching of a show. But no, I think it definitely got better.

Some elements remain utterly cheesy:

The gruff cop, makes me laugh quite often. Partly because of some of the lines he has to choke out, and partly because of the way he chews the scenery.

The training scenes are clearly a way to show off some glistening abs.

And the main villain is diabolical in his plans.

But it's good humoured cheese. And often knowingly so. I love it.

[eta] also, the fight scenes a great fun.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #1532
Bloke
Almost normal...

Managed to get the complete first and second series of Green Wing on eBay for a good price. Crazy doesn't even begin to describe it...
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #1533
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh, I loved Green Wing.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #1534
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Watched a little comedy called Butter. It's got Olivia Wilde, Rob Corddry, Alicia Silverstone, Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman, plus that guy from Modern Family... how can you go wrong? I was expecting a Christopher-Guest-style thing where it's only funny because the characters are so painfully awkward, but actually, it was much more of a silly, witty-punchline kind of funny. I liked it a lot.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #1535
glatt

I saw Butter. It was good. I forget the plot details but I remember I liked it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #1536
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I give Butter three stars, we loved it too!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #1537
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Last night, I finished rewatching Six Feet Under. I bought the whole series set, it's in a 'book' of discs, and has a little booklet with 'obits' of the main characters. It's quite nice.

There were a few times when I thought "well, that's enough with the 'everybody's fucking' episode." But I remembered why I think it's one of the best series ever made, and it definitely has the best series finale of anything EVER. I cried as if it were the first time I'd seen it. It's just beautiful. I feel the character depictions were amazing: these seemed like real people...all fucked up and dealing with life and death and love and hate and complex relationships.

I wondered at my decision to watch this series again, with my mom being sick. But it was strangely comforting. There were times when it really hit home, and I would have a good cry (which, ultimately, helps me: I get my crying done at home...so I can be stronger when it counts.)

I fell in love again with the characters: Ruth, Nate, David, Keith, Brenda, Sarah (Ruth's sister played by Patricia Clarkson who I love love love! Watch Pieces of April for another great Patricia Clarkson role), Bettina (played by Kathy Bates) and of course, Claire. And Olivier! He's genius! Possibly one of the weirdest characters you ever couldn't help but love.

Also, I did finally see Termite: The Walls Have Eyes. Don't try to pigeonhole this movie! It's clever, very clever, and I would be hard pressed to categorize it. The film was made by students, under the direction of veteran actor John Walcutt. I highly recommend this film for lovers of indies and fans of films that don't fit the normal (read: ubiquitous) formulas.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #1538
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Pain & Gain" w/The Rock, Anthony Mackie, & Mark Wahlberg. A very quirky, unbelievably true story.

Narrator, at the beginning: "...and, unfortunately, this is a true story."

A little past halfway thru, the movie goes to freeze-frame, and the subtitle "Remember, this still a true story." appears.

You will not believe people can actually be this stupid. But, they were.

Watch the flick first, you'll be well-entertained, then read up on the case. Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it.

The reality is every bit as entertaining as the movie.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #1539
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ultraman. Japanese Rubber Suit Monster goodness.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #1540
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Recently :

Fido
Blackfish
The Way Way Back
RED2
Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #1541
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'm trying to decide if 'RED2' will be worth watching.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #1542
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Watched RED 2, it was entertaining. It was pretty hard to ignore how long in the tooth Bruce Willis is during the opening scene in the harsh and unforgiving light of the Costco. The rest of the film he either had a different make-up person or it was shot several years before the first scene.

I also watched Butter. Surprisingly good, light fare. It wasn't Little Miss Sunshine, but it moved along quickly enough. The best line in the film: "I don't think I want you hanging around with strippers."

Saw Transformers 1 and 3. Very much like what I imagine a 10 year old boy would script if he were organized enough. How can you not love Optimus Prime? and Bumble Bee? and Megan Fox?

Not sure what happens to her between 1 and 3 where she's replaced by some other gal.

just wiki'd it, apparently Fox is not only addicted to her crackberry, she also invoked Godwin's law while talking about her director. Oops.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #1543
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Saw Blackfish not long ago.
Still laughing my head off at Green Wing.
Waiting for the DVD release of GoT Season 3. I know everyone has watched Season 4 already, but DVDs have subtitles and TV doesn't.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #1544
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Yikes. I just got a notice about my roaming charges here in Roatan. I probably won't be online again until early next week.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #1545
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Watched a few minutes of Elysium last night then realized I needed sleep more than a shitty sci fi film.

The movie is supposed to be taking place in 2154 on an overpopulated and devastated earth in the slums of LA that are not much more than rubble, shanties and bad CGI ruined skyscrapers. In the midst of this dusty, dry, no-one apparently has enough water to wash their faces, rubble and trash strewn shithole, a couple of compadres are drinking beer from bright, clean, new bottles WITH PERFECT LABELS.

Where the fuck are the acres of barley, glass works, breweries with billions of gallons of water, fuel to make the bottles, ship them, refrigerate them, and brew the fucking beer?
And that was just the first of several "nails on the blackboard" moments in the first 20 minutes of the film.

Jeezum. Make a fucking effort.

I also watched "Now you see me" which required at least as much suspension of disbelief, but it was about magic, so... and it was pretty well written, and well acted. Lots of good plot twists. In fact, I'd even say there were lot's of good plot twist's.

Tags
movies