The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I remember them well, although they had been shut down for years. My grandfather supplied much of the wood, but he called them coke kilns.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My brother sent me this clipping from a paper published by the Hampden County Improvement League which was a state agricultural extension agency of U-Mass.
We done good. My 2 year old that won first in the state also was Grand Champion at the Eastern States Exposition. She had a purty mouth.
Showmanship was a spotless animal groomed with shiny hooves and horns. Led by a person with white shirt, khaki pants(creased), shiny shoes and combed hair. Not my bag.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #63
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Go Bruce!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Aunt Dot is a genuine badass.
My grandfather built on the mountain with lots of woods to harvest and sell for firewood. His cousin built a couple miles away in the lowland by the river and farmed. This article is about my mothers cousin, Aunt Dot. She always wore men's cloths, like bib overalls and a flannel shirt, never married, and took no shit from anyone. She worked in Smith&Wesson's factory custom shop (the Wessons lived close by), and shot on the company pistol team in competitions.

I last saw her at year ago at my mother's funeral. Now in her mid-90s she managed the rough terrain and side hill of the cemetery pretty quickly with no assistance. Genuine old New England Yankee, and genuine badass.

Sorry the end of the article was clipped off but you can make out what they are saying.
I found out yesterday that Badass Aunt Dot decided 99 years was enough of this shit and headed off to the Happy Hunting Grounds. I'll post her obit when I get it.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #65
Griff
still says videotape

99 is pretty solid.

I have an aunt in her early nineties. Lovely woman but she seems tired.

I have zero aspirations in the longevity department unless health sciences develops to the point where I can avoid the rocking chair. Even then, I know the world is changing too fast for my ape brain.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:44 AM   #66
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...headed off to the Happy Hunting Grounds...
She's coming to Kentucky?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They left out so very very much...
Quote:
Dorothy E. Dickinson, 99, of Hampden, passed away peacefully on Friday, November 30, 2018 at Baystate Medical Center. Born in Springfield, to the late Earle and C. Blanche (Bailey) Dickinson, she lived in Agawam until 1933 when the family moved to Hampden. She attended school in Agawam and Hampden and graduated from Springfield Trade School. It was a hard time to find jobs, so Dot waitressed in Springfield then worked at the Putney School in Vermont. When things were brighter in the labor market in 1942, she came home and went to work at Smith & Wesson, staying 30 years. Dot then went to Dan Wesson Arms for 11 years. She retired in 1983 to her home and enjoyed life. Dot always had animals to keep her busy and for the kids in the family to enjoy; ponies, horses and chickens. On her 95th birthday, she was still doing her “chicken chores.” Throughout the years she was always active in the local 4H clubs. At the Eastern States Exposition, she worked in the 4H building doing whatever was asked of her. For example, at age 90 she worked polishing apples and loved it when people would remember her from previous years’ fairs. She was also a member of the Hampden Federated Church for many years. In addition to her parents, Dot was predeceased by her twin brother Donald, sister Roberta Johnson and her lifelong friend of more than 75 years, Polly Hayden. She is survived by her brother Robert and his wife Barbara of Enfield, CT, many cherished nieces and nephews and many great and great, great nieces and nephews. Dot always said she was so lucky to have so many friends from all walks of life, and the best neighbors you could find. She would sit in her chair and look out the window, down through the fields, over the river to the woods, and the world was ok. The family is grateful to John Hayden for the years of care and concern he has shown to Dorothy. To honor’s Dot’s wishes, a Graveside Service will be held in the Spring in Prospect Hill Cemetery. Wilbraham Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements. Memorial contributions in Dot’s name may be made to Hampden Federated Community Church, 590 Main St., Hampden, MA 01036.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #68
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think I would have liked to have known Aunt Dot.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #69
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Me too.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #70
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Somebody defaced your old copy of The Hampden.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #71
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's the commies, they quit the cold war and ruined everything, no more full employment, strong unions, high tax rates, nor a chicken in every pot.
Now they skulk in alleys frightening urban foxes and defacing mid century communications mediums. Oh, the humanity.

At least they caught the perp that burned the outhouse. Took six months but there was no police force.
There were three selectmen, one was up for election every year, and the one up next was the Chief of Police for that year which means he got any mail addressed to the police. Oh, and he had a Chief badge. Only saw Pop flash it once, at an asshole hunter too close to the house. They had two part time uniformed cops that directed traffic by the two churches on Sunday, and kept town meetings and elections orderly. I think that was a legal requirement but I doubt if either cop was legal. The State Police covered the town.
I suspect they just listened and waited for somebody to brag or talk, then have a chat. We know you did it, pay for the damage and it will go away, or we can call the staties to lock you up and go through the courts and newspapers. Much rural law and order worked that way up until the mid 60s.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #72
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

You can't toss a kid's salad! At school, nor anywhere else!

Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #73
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Found a picture of my Mother's parents. It's their wedding photo in 1908 when she was 18 and he was 28. Both made 92.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #74
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

xoxoxoGrandma was a looker.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #75
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's remarkable hair for 1908
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote