The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #91
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Looks like y'all got all our snow, GOOD!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #92
Griff
still says videotape

We're cool with that... as long as I get the parts I need for my snow-blower.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #93
Griff
still says videotape

Parking is limited though.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #94
glatt

Looking nice there, and that trail looks inviting.

It's above freezing today and was sunny, so we're melting. The roads are finally in good shape today. Still have significant snowplow created hills blocking all the parking spots on the streets, but if you have a driveway like we do, you're all set. (If a little sore still from shoveling.)
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #95
monster
I hear them call the tide

The white snow on the black snowbanks this morning was prettier..... but it can stop now mmmmkay? We're all out of icemelt and the stores don't have any ....three flakes is enough to make it slippy all over again.... and the melt/freeze fun is about to begin/continue as the temperatures hover around freezing for the next week. I predict icicle wars in my yard (It's school break)

...I wonder if we can find away to illuminate them like light sabers.....
Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #96
Pamela
Deplorable

try rock salt for water softeners. It will kill the lawn but you won't have ice.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #97
monster

HFS they underestimated this one.

Pam -they're out of salt for softeners, pools, fishtanks and also any cat lit that will have any grip! I'mm'a start using crumbled own-brand Goldfish snacks and other such items. Coming this spring, I will be asking for help with my Rat Roach and (R)ant problems......

Hoping we at least get a snowfall record out of this crap....
Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #98
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

If we'd known, we could all have ordered Blizzaks and plenty of sand. As it is, it should be a record winter.

Coming from the Great White North, my thoughts are: TIRES. SNOW TIRES. All else pales in comparison, except for true 4-wheel drive. That will let you get going, but you need your tires (and the ability to gear WAY down) to stop.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #99
Griff
still says videotape

Yeah, I had good snows for my Nissan pickup and it was a goer in the deep stuff. My Toyota needs some upgrades, tires being number 1.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #100
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Okay, so like, you people who live in the north, explain this snow tire thing to me.

You have a second set of tires that you keep in your garage for the winter? And twice a year you load them in your trunk, and take your car to the mechanic to switch them out? And what about snow chains? Do you put those on snow tires, or regular tires? And why not just leave the snow tires on all year, if they're so much better?

Also, do you have "storm windows?" What are those, exactly?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #101
glatt

If you own a second set of wheels, you can keep the snow tires on the spare wheels and just do the switching yourself. Otherwise you drive them to a mechanic and pay like $75 for each season's switch and balancing. Fall and Spring. And you have to store them somewhere, like in your garage. Snow tires have deep tread and are designed for the snow. They don't perform as well as summer or year round tires on the dry pavement, and the tread wears down quickly, so you would be wasting money to keep them on year round.

I've always viewed chains as emergency equipment, to pull out if you are getting stuck during a snowstorm. They are frowned upon in many locations because they chew up the road.

All this is based on childhood memories, so others may have better input.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #102
monster

you don't use snow chains on regular roads. You get crappy gas mileage on snow tires. Some places will store snow tires for you. We just use all season tires all year, but we live in a city and hope that we only drive on bad snow a few days of the year. I carry a snow shovel.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #103
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
We just use all season tires all year, but we live in a city and hope that we only drive on bad snow a few days of the year.
After running over 100,000 miles on original Michelins, I first tried two all weather tires. Figuring I may sell that car before these tires wore out. However, handling (especally in rain) was seriously inferior with those all weather tires. But they were not Michelin - which might explain the bad handling.

Also interesting was less vibration with Michelins (a tiny shake in the steering wheel). Some tires have minor variations in belts that cause a tiny shake or shimmy only at highest speed.

In early days, I would buy two rims to leave snow tires mounted on. So that I could mount snow tires without remounting and balancing tires. I made a mistake one day. While rolling both tires to the garage, one got away. Once a rim mounted tire starts rolling, it cannot be stopped. I kept kicking it to knock it over. Due to momentum created by a steel rim, that tire would not fall over and stop. Eventually the tire was going faster than I could run. Fortunately it hit a tire, climbed up the trunk about ten feet, and bounce back at me. Then I could kick it over.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #104
waiting
Banned

Nice..
waiting is offline   Reply With Quote