The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #406
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

First known cases in Montgomery County were all from travel, and by their locations ("...Lower Merion couple, and residents of Lower Gwynedd, and Worcester Township") I am wagering they have mad buckage.

https://www.theintell.com/news/20200...ts-to-covid-19

Quote:
Montgomery County Commissioner Chairwoman Dr. Valerie Arkoosh confirmed a cardiologist, who works for CHOP at its King of Prussia outpatient center, tested positive for COVID-19. The patient acquired the virus during a trip outside the U.S. to a country where the virus is active, according to Arkoosh, who did not identify the country.

Four other Montgomery County residents who have tested presumed positive have mild symptoms and they are self-isolating at home, Arkoosh said.

They include a Lower Merion couple, and residents of Lower Gwynedd, and Worcester Township who also contracted the virus during either overseas or out-of- state travel to places where the virus is active.

Arkoosh pointed out that so far all the Montgomery County positive cases were travel-acquired, rather than community-acquired allowing health officials to trace contacts to the original source of infection.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #407
Griff
still says videotape

I think it's been reported as fact that this is a rich people first virus. Early cases in Mexico were rich folks who vacationed in Colorado. If you fly you have a higher chance of picking this up.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #408
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #409
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
… 3 -- Wear a mask or a bandanna to help you become aware of your hands moving to your face. It does not need to be a medical mask. The mask will not prevent the disease, it helps you stop carrying the disease from your hands to your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon
This needs clarification:

Bandanas and non-medical masks won't prevent the disease.
We're literally saying the same thing. Perhaps you didn't watch the video, that's ok. The point of the masks, as I have summarized from the doctor's video, is to help make the wearer aware of the practically inescapable subconscious tendency for people to touch their faces. Ol' one eye has documented this, Ol' bandanna helps highlight this habit in real time.

Your points about aerosols are well taken, but the video talks about the difference in risk between carrying the virus from your hand to your face versus aerosols and the difference is overwhelming. If a bandanna keeps me from carrying the virus from my hand to my face then it's doing the job it's designed for.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #410
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I did watch the video and found some of what the doctor had to say disconcerting. I wanted to ensure that no one would take away from your summarization that the primary point of all masks used by non-healthcare people was to help prevent hand to face transmission. No harm in that.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #411
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ok, what remarks did the doctor make that you find disconcerting?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #412
sexobon

I can start with the title saying how easy it is to not get infected. If it were that easy, few would be getting infected. My experience as an instructor-evaluator with ol' one eye says that even with knowledgeable people it's not so easy. This doctor seems to be trying to convince himself (and others) that it is; so, he doesn't have to fret about it...a self prescribed placebo. He said he used to be afraid; but, now he's not. Only dead people have no fear.

He thanks people for donating medical masks; but, says it's not yet enough and downplays their intrinsic value to others while emphasizing the tangent value of non-medical masks. Conflict of interest.

He mentioned distancing by 2-3 feet when others are on the 6 foot distancing sheet of music. He's mixing healthcare worker compromises with recommended practices for non-healthcare people.

The gist of it is, teaching standards can fall by the wayside when subject matter experts go rogue. I believe this to be the case here.

As a senior instructor, I've been a course quality control NCO. I used to formally evaluate instructors by watching their presentations (in person or via classroom cameras and a monitor in my office). The assessment is standardized and I've evaluated presenters from EMTs to orthopedic surgeons. I have a practiced eye and recognize that even the best of intentions can yield questionable results if not presented properly. That's where I'm coming from.

Last edited by sexobon; 03-29-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: autocorrect can bite me
Old 03-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #413
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Field hospital opens on the soccer field just north of Seattle.
Another field hospital opens up at Century Link Field, in downtown Seattle, y'know, where the Seahawks and Sounders FC play.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #414
sexobon

It looks like this country's vacation has been extended through the end of April. I expect that Governors and Mayors who have issued Stay At Home orders will follow suit and extend them.

Quote:
Trump says coronavirus 'peak in death rate' likely in 2 weeks, extends social-distancing guidelines through April 30

… President Trump declared that "the peak in death rate" in the coronavirus pandemic "is likely to hit in two weeks," and said the federal government will be extending its social-distancing guidelines through April 30. …

… Saying his earlier hope that the country could reopen by Easter was "just an aspiration,"...
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #415
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Delaware County has a similar map and it's Radnor and Haverford where all the rich folks are... but then, Upper Darby where there are no rich folks at all, so it broke the streak.
You have to establish an account to see them, but Upper Darby is where the help lives.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #416
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Quote:
… President Trump declared that "the peak in death rate" in the coronavirus pandemic "is likely to hit in two weeks," and said the federal government will be extending its social-distancing guidelines through April 30. …

… Saying his earlier hope that the country could reopen by Easter was "just an aspiration,"...
I love those two quotes together...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 PM   #417
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Another field hospital opens up at Century Link Field, in downtown Seattle, y'know, where the Seahawks and Sounders FC play.
And Central Park.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #418
robertca
Kinda New Member

Coronavirus Origin Theories

Source: (link on first post removed)
robertca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #419
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hello robertca, welcome to the cellar.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #420
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Tripped across this, surfing:

Name:  Histroy Will Remember.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  93.4 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote