The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
afrayedknot
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Employment Personality Profile Testing

Anyone ever take one of these? I took one for the first time on Monday. It was a set of 50 statements that you had to place a positive or negative value on and then rank in order from good to bad. This in turn has generated a 40 page report on my behaviors, motivations and works styles. They gave me the entire report to review. It is SCARY. 99% is right on target. Tell me your experiences.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

I've walked out of many a job interview that attempts that on me. I just don't want to work for companies that think like that.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

They're total crap, along with drug testing. They're just the first step an employer takes to make sure you know that you're not entering a formal agreement, but rather that you are submitting to them before you're even hired.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
primal muse
ive been mad for fucking years

i usually just tell them what they want to hear on those types of things. theyre stupid.

Blasphemy Forums
primal muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've done the test with the 500+ T/F questions. That one is scary accurate.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
afrayedknot
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
They're total crap, along with drug testing. They're just the first step an employer takes to make sure you know that you're not entering a formal agreement, but rather that you are submitting to them before you're even hired.
This was sort of interesting the way it went down. I interviewed with them back in January and was CERTAIN I had the position. It ended up dead in the water after 4 weeks. They just contacted me again this weekend. This is when I took the test, but after they knew they wanted me to join the organization. I asked them if they saw me differently now that they have the profile but wanted me before I ever took it. The impression I got was that they knew what would be in there before the results were ever in hand. I do know that some employers use it as a tool for hiring purposes. This was not the case here. I do feel incredibly violated. Especially since it was so accurate. I knew what was going to be in there, but I didn't want THEM to know. As far as the drug testing, I recommend synthetic products. I am a satisfied consumer.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I am a firm believer that you do not know how any employee will work out until they have been in the job. I also believe that companies should celebrate diversity, though that is so often not the case. If they want to know my strengths, my weaknesses, my foibles, my regrets, they only need ask. I know myself better than anyone, and am very honest and up front about who I am. If that's not what they want, then to hell with them.

Having said that, I am reminded of Steven Wright who said when he was asked in a job interview if he had any questions for them he said "Yes, I do. If you were travelling in a car at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on, would anything happen?"

The interviewer replied he did not know.

"Then I don't want to work for you."
Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Afrayedknot, your 50 question personality profile was as accurate as your astrological chart and birth reading, and you think it is for exactly the same reasons.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I had to take one after working for a company for several years. It said I was the ultimate team player, whateverthehell that means. I believe it was used to identify those employees that would be black-balled. I should have taken it when I was stoned, just to fuck with them.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I really hate those types of test. Just another hoop to jump through.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Posturing. Letting you know that "we dont need you nearly as much as you will benefit from our position" and otherwise setting the tone.

It has always seemed to me that an incoming employee should also have the benefit of having those same items from management that they demand from the employee, drug test, credit report, criminal background, etc, etc.

Doesnt it make sense that an employee might be harmed in some way by an employer that doesnt have all those items in good standing? Who has all the control within the office? It's not the employee. Who has more ability to damage the other?

We should have them fill out the same silly effing BS that they would like us to.

The interview might go something like.....

Slang: Ok, looks like we've gone through your BS systems and processes to make me think that I'm not truly worthy of working here and that you are the best thing since night baseball.....(unwinds the clasp on a large manila file as seen in the Matrix )....Let's review some of YOUR personal stats.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #12
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

another great reason why I am self employed.

when I "interview" a prospective employee, I always feel intrusive and control/authorative when asking the basic questions, like yrs of experience, special skills, drug/alcohol abuse, reference employers, etc.
I can tell within the first 24 hours of employment whether or not the person is a 'keeper'. So I avoid the 20 question thingie and put them to work on a trial basis. That is what really provides the accurate skill/personality info anyway IMO. Anyone can B/S anybody on paper. Person to person interaction will tell the tale. If the prospective employee doesn't pan out, you've lost the wages paid. And you don't have the burden of calling him a lying bullshitter of a fucktard when you terminate him. Also you don't have to spank yourself about the old 'damn, this cat really had me fooled' deal.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
Kitsune
still eats dirt

A friend of mine that recently got a job with local government was warned to not have any alcoholic drinks 48 hours prior to his drug test. Yes, they flagged for it and it was a determining factor in employment that screwed over several other people before him that decided to celebrate getting the job after the offer letter was mailed out.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I took one of those damn fool things to get this office management position. If you can't figure out what answers they are looking for, you probably shouldn't take one, because t'aint hard.

They didn't show me my results, but they gave me the job. I'm still trying to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not starving and we have insurance and I live indoors. Guess its a good thing.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #15
rkzenrage

I've taken several of the personality tests and always come out the same.
Basically, I have no soul. The testers always look at me as though I just grew antenna and my supervisors never treat me the same.
On the one with the colors I came-out 97% Green. The tester said she has never heard of anyone with a score over 93% anything.
I hated taking the tests and considered lying on them to avoid the "look", it was very hurtful.