The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Vindwyn
I love carbs!

Old(er) Movies on TV

I was a child of the 80s, and I grew up watching the Saturday Specials on ABC. I just wanted to know if any of you guys remember watching any of them.

Here are a few titles:

Wind in the Willows: Came out in 1987 or so. It was a wonderful animated tv movie with both haunting and funny songs. I'd love to find it on DVD. I think there is a VHS out.

The Secret Land of Og: A bunch of little green men who are responsible for all the things that we lose. The only word they speak is "Og."

There were a few others...something about a family who ended up in a time machine in prehistoric times. Not Land of the Lost.

Then there were the Ralph S. Mouse things.

Anybody remember those?
Vindwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

By the time those came out I was more likely sleeping off my hangover on Saturday mornings, although I did make a point of watching the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Vindwyn
I love carbs!

Well, if we're just going to delve into cartoons...I loved the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. Cartoons today suck in comparison to the ones from my youth.

I especially liked one called The Gummy Bears. Also, I know everyone makes fun of the Smurfs, but I really liked that. Winnie the Pooh, The Flintstones, The Jetsons...those were all good.

We don't even have cartoons anymore. Reality television has infiltrated Saturday mornings!
Old 06-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I saw a very interesting program called "Bibleman" yesterday morning. It featured a superhero and his superhero buddies who can approach children in either their cool superhero armor or street clothes to help them resolve moral dilemmas. The superheroes themselves are subject to the foibles of temptation and sin. Good triumphs in the end, and appropriate bible verse references abound.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Vindwyn
I love carbs!

I would hope that parents would be able to instruct their children in morals without the use of some propaganda-based cartoon called Bibleman. I'm sure its intentions are good, but there is no way I would allow my children to watch it.

I'm also the kind of person who will not be buying my chidlren little books of Bible stories or other religious propaganda. I hate seeing people making a quick buck on religion.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindwyn
I'm also the kind of person who will not be buying my chidlren little books of Bible stories or other religious propaganda. I hate seeing people making a quick buck on religion.
You'd really hate these guys.
Quote:
NEW YORK, NY, December 07, 2003 — Despite Sunday sermons urging Americans to exchange shopping at the mall for rest and reflection, fewer and fewer people are taking a break. Recently, the country's largest Christian retail chain began opening its doors on Sundays. WNYC's Fred Mogul went shopping.
Quote:
Corporate officials in Grand Rapids, Michigan, anticipated receiving criticism for the move - and possible objections from employees. The company produced a video for workers.

Hi, I'm Dave Browne, president and CEO of Family Christian Stores God truly wants us to be both a world-impacting ministry and a world-class business.

In the video, Browne - the former CEO of LenseCrafters -- describes praying and fasting over the decision to open Sunday afternoons. He introduces a theologian who explains that while the Fourth Commandment does enjoin believers not to work, the Christian Bible effectively supersedes that commandment. Dave Neff, senior editorial writer at Christianity Today, says he's no theologian, but he thinks a holy day of rest is more important than a holy day of commerce.
I have a lot of respect for the owner of Chick-Fil-A for not being open for Sundays, even while his stores are in malls which usually insist on it. I have no respect for these guys. How come a chicken franchise understands the concept of the Sabbath better than a Bible store?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #7
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

And now for a little crossover goodness.

The Willie Aames Worship Page

Not only did he voice Hank in Dungeons and Dragons, but he both produces in, and stars as Bibleman.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I've watched a few Bibleman episodes, and was underwhelmed.

However, truly entertaining Christian animation can be found here at Big Idea. By the way, I really prefer the CG to the "cartoon" style, but SonofV likes 'em all.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

I dug Davy and Goliath. It was the miracle of claymation, though, that really moved me.

I used to love Kukla Fran and Olie. They would have these kid movies on the weekend. Adventures and travel things. a break from the cartoons.

I also loved the wonderful world of disney on sunday nights- movies and such for kids.

Oh, and Big, Blue Marble.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I have a lot of respect for the owner of Chick-Fil-A for not being open for Sundays, even while his stores are in malls which usually insist on it. I have no respect for these guys. How come a chicken franchise understands the concept of the Sabbath better than a Bible store?
synchronicity...
Old 10-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I love watching movies from the 30s and up and if I can I want the earliest VHS copy I can get (1977-1981) as its mostly likely to be the original analogue print and the best!

So many movies have been ruined on VHS... Either digital crap or flattend out garbage,neither do I wanna see..... If I wanted to experience digital,I would get a video CD!!! -- I dont like it,I prefer analog

I finally got the earliest VHS copy of THE AFRICEN QUEEN (1951) and its goregous (1979)

I also have the earliest release of CASABLANCA (1942) I can get..... Before they used thier stupid filters and flattend it like a pancake!!!!!! (1981)

Its just sad how many GOOD movies were ruined on VHS.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
If I wanted to experience digital,I would get a video CD!!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I feel your pain.