The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #2581
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well goldarnit...now I'm getting a Homer Simpson quote, after I posted in the 'learned today' thread, invoking Homer.

Cellar Cookies gots the googly eyes.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #2582
infinite monkey

OK, Tony. Now you're just messing with me! A two-fer:

"Ya know, one _needs_ beer to work on a VW. Its enough to make you WANT to get drunk."
- Corey Renner, VW lover/hater

Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #2583
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
and back to the DeLorean being impractical, or course it's impractical. I didn't say it was terrible or that it should be banned, just that it was impractical. It's basically a Chevy, so you can probably find a lot of parts to keep the engine, transmission, suspension, etc. going, but what are you going to do if a meth head smashes a window to look for spare change in the glove box? It's a very rare car from a company that's out of business, and I can imagine that all the exterior and interior body parts would be extremely difficult to source..
Why not go to the DeLorean company since every fucking part is still made.
Quote:
And it's low to the ground, so getting in and out will be just a little harder for most people. The doors open upward, so you have to stretch way up in order to pull them closed. If you are shorter than average, you may even have to sort of kneel on the seat as you reach up in order to grab the door handle and pull it closed. All that is doable, but I think 99% of the population would find it impractical.
Everything you've stated applies to every car on the road for "some people".
The only thing you can say for sure is it does or does not fit your wants/needs.
Quote:
I actually knew somebody who was considering buying a used one, but he decided against it when he thought about how hard it would be to maintain it. This was back when they were common enough that you would occasionally see used ones for sale for an affordable price.
Knowing someone who made an uninformed decision is not unusual.
Quote:
I think there are lots of impractical cars out there, but I'm glad they exist because they are interesting. Just because I think something is impractical doesn't mean I want to ban it.
So every coat that isn't your size is relegated to the impractical rack.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #2584
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Why not go to the DeLorean company since every fucking part is still made.
Wow. I'm impressed. Never heard of it. I take it back. I don't think it's impractical any more.

Quote:
So every coat that isn't your size is relegated to the impractical rack.
Absolutely. Why would I want a coat that I can't wear?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #2585
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Why would I want a coat that I can't wear?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #2586
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You should get rid of your car, it's impractical because I can't carry 3 ton of hay in it.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #2587
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
here, they tell you to call 911
For non-emergency calls? That's odd.

Around here, we're almost bombarded with ads on tv, radio, and billboards not to call 911 unless it's an actual emergency. They even use 'fender benders w/o injury' as an example of a non-emergency situation.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #2588
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Walkin' man.

Every day. I'm the walkin' man.]
♪ ♫The walkin' man walks on by♪ ♫

Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #2589
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

On today's episode of walkin' man, walkin' man sees yet another impractical vehicle. Takes a sloppy picture of it. Parked in front of the field office of the FBI.

Name:  armored.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  82.8 KB
Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #2590
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Damn!! How many lugnuts is that?! Not counting the ones inside the field office...

Old 04-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #2591
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
On today's episode of walkin' man...
Glatt, I think that would make an excellent thread.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #2592
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Glatt, I think that would make an excellent thread.
Good idea. I have a small backlog of photos. Nothing super interesting. Just walkin' man stuff.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #2593
infinite monkey

Quote:

On today's episode of walkin' man, walkin' man sees yet another impractical vehicle. Takes a sloppy picture of it. Parked in front of the field office of the FBI.

...on a very special "walkin' man" (music swells, then fades...and...we're out.

I was having lunch with sis in law and my great niece and sis in law noticed on her phone that a nearby Wifi connection was: FBI Surveillance Van. At first I was like "HERE? Why?" then my dumb self realized that the actual FBI probably doesn't have open WiFi nor would they name it as such. Too funny. It made me think about the Simpson's episode with the surveillance van disguised as "Flowers By Irene."
Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #2594
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

...on a very special "walkin' man" (music swells, then fades...and...we're out.

I was having lunch with sis in law and my great niece and sis in law noticed on her phone that a nearby Wifi connection was: FBI Surveillance Van. At first I was like "HERE? Why?" then my dumb self realized that the actual FBI probably doesn't have open WiFi nor would they name it as such. Too funny. It made me think about the Simpson's episode with the surveillance van disguised as "Flowers By Irene."
First of all, good to see you again manymonkey.

Second of all, I am totally stealing that idea. That is funny as hell!