The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-12-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I thought we did away with this sort of thing?

Got the following in my Leftist e-mail today. Anyone know whether or not this is on the level, or is it just the usual bullshit?

Quote:
"EPA WILL USE POOR KIDS AS GUINEA PIGS IN NEW STUDY ON PESTICIDES
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), led by Bush appointees, plans to launch a new study in which participating low income families will have their children exposed to toxic pesticides over the course of two years. For taking part in these studies, each family will receive $970, a free video camera, a T-shirt, and a framed certificate of appreciation. In October, the EPA received $2 million to do the study from the American Chemistry Council, a chemical industry front group that includes members such as Dow, Exxon, and Monsanto. The EPA's Linda Sheldon says the study is vital, because so little is known about how small children's bodies absorb harmful chemicals. As of press time, none of the EPA's employees are offering to have their own children take part in this research project. The Organic Consumers Association is calling on the nation's citizens to demand the EPA forgo this project before its scheduled launch in early 2005. Sign petition by clicking here and forward this email to family and friends... http://www.organicconsumers.org/epa-alert.htm "
Old 11-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Ohh the things people say...

The whole thing reads like something you'd find debunked on Snopes.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
God
Not half the God I used to be

Poor American kids? No.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
garnet

Can't be true--too much liability if they were to do this in the U.S. I wouldn't put it past them to try it in some third-world country, though.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Elspode

Well, here's what should be a reliable source...

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=2549768

The story is dated today, and says the test has been postponed. Guess the Leftist e-mailing worked, huh?
Old 11-12-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Well, here's what should be a reliable source...

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=2549768

The story is dated today, and says the test has been postponed. Guess the Leftist e-mailing worked, huh?

I don't know if that's a reliable source or not but I swear that the guy on the left in that news crew at the top of the page is Mr. Six from the Six Flags commercials.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2004, 12:37 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh, please ...

Quote:
For taking part in these studies, each family will receive $970, a free video camera, a T-shirt, and a framed certificate of appreciation.
I think they embellished a bit much.

And unless documentation of the study design is presented, I'll take it all with an extra large grain of salt.

It would be reasonable to recruit children/families for the study as described to test the children for possible environmental exposure ... an adjunct to testing for lead levels and so on ... they don't expose children to the contaminent, but test to see if they already have been. It's reasonable to hypothesize that poor children might have been more likely to have been exposed than children of wealthier families ... most McMansions don't get regularly bombed for roaches, after all.

If I'm guessing right about the study, and misinformation killed it, that's a damn shame.

If the story is accurate, villigers with pitchforks and torches should storm the gates of the sponsoring agencies.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:25 AM   #8
Elspode

More likely villagers with obsolete video games and VHS camcorders...
Old 11-13-2004, 06:56 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
It's reasonable to hypothesize that poor children might have been more likely to have been exposed than children of wealthier families ... most McMansions don't get regularly bombed for roaches, after all.
It's more than that. Poor communities don't have much of a voice when it comes to NIMBY. In fact, many lower income communities sprang up around industrial parks to provide the work force. That's not to say that everyone isn't affected by pollution, since we had a superfund site a mile from our last house. It's just that there is a relationship between income and pollution risk.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Poor people generally don't emphasize the environment as a political issue either. If you don't have a job, you don't really care about the state of the air or the river.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:33 AM   #11
TheSnake
Resident President

The problem is, people believe this stuff.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #12
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

I'm not sure that is left or right.... Seems more like the Loony Palace.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
In fact, many lower income communities sprang up around industrial parks to provide the work force.
Quite often that silver lining turned out to be cadmium.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Or radium, if you were in Upper Darby ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote