The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #76
King
Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
American and European farm subsidies should be abolished because they do nothing more than perpetuate inefficient farming practices and shut out cheaper products produced elsewhere.
I agree. The EU currently pays farmers millions to NOT produce food. The Common Agricultural Policy needs revising.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #77
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Affirmative action levels the playing field, it does not give minorities an edge.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #78
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

people are too quick to take what authorities say as the truth and not question other motives.

europe and america desperately need people power (protests, marches etc.) to demonstrate a world-wide display of displeasure at the way things are being handled.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #79
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Affirmative action levels the playing field, it does not give minorities an edge.
That is why someone who had half my GPA, with no community service or student government involvement received a scholarship to Yale instead of me? Level playing field?
Not even close.
You should have heard the distain the woman had when she told me about it, something she was not supposed to do.
At my office if someone was promoted with less education, less experience and less training they received how much respect? I bet you can guess.
It harms the minorities it does not help them.
It furthers the idea that they cannot do it on their own.
The club that I was involved in in college that is, predominantly, about helping blacks in school and after they get out of school feels this way as well. Affirmative action is harmful and degrading.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #80
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
That is why someone who had half my GPA, with no community service or student government involvement received a scholarship to Yale instead of me? Level playing field?
In admissions, affirmative action was really "improve the predictive validity of GPA, SAT, and other scoring systems used in the admissions process". The idea was not that colleges needed to correct racial percentages (although it was noted to be a positive side affect), but that the standardized testing methods used prior to college, when viewed statistically, held a bias that created errors and did not correctly predict university performance for certain populations of students. Your GPA and SAT scores predict how well you will do at a university and the concept is that, statistically, someone from a specific population set will perform better than you in equal classes despite having the exact same GPA and SAT score thanks to those predictive errors. The awarding of scholarships followed the same logic.

Is there evidence to support this is true? Well...

The study could easily be done, so there might be. Students that were enrolled under affirmative action test score correction had to take the same courses in college that their classmates did. If affirmative action at universities was truly flawed, then graduation and dropout rates should be very telling.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #81
Pie
Gone and done

Am I too late?

Marriage should not exist. The government should be in the business of enforcing contract law, not what people do in their bedrooms or with whom they choose to affiliate.

There is no god and man should stop deluding himself.

No amount of nurture can make up for a lousy nature.

Interstellar space travel will never be accomplished by live, grown human beings.

We should all sign up here. [vhemt.org]

We should re-introduce wolves into urban environments.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #82
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Affirmative action is racism, and it's worse than the racism it was created to make up for. It harms those it was intended to help, and it perpetuates racism and even attempts to legitimize it by giving it a government sanction.

All who support affirmative action are white supremacists.

They believe minorities aren't as intelligent, strong, or as good as white people and they can't make it on the same measured performance and merits as white people.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #83
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Damn those black white supremacists.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #84
monster
I hear them call the tide

Tea is better than coffee
Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #85
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Damn those black white supremacists.
Strange, but true.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #86
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

One's opinion on non work matters should be stifled in corporate America because it may offend someone. In addition to the challenges associated with performing the tasks of the position you hold, you must always speak and think through a filter that completely sanitizes every idea and action so as not to actually express a true belief of society, current events and politics.

Once someone becomes very good at this process they seem uninteresting and robotic. They are perceived as an appliance of the company and not a human.

After you leave your company owned working environment you are then free to drink Victory gin and express some emotion. You may then also imagine what it's like to be free.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:50 AM   #87
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
All who support affirmative action are white supremacists.
Not just supremacists but supremacists of the worst variety: racists who have convinced themselves and others that they are not racists. This enables their racist behaviour to perpetuate and propogate under the guise of compassion.

To me, this is much more damaging than unrepentant and flagrant racism because in this case, the victim is participating in his own discrimination.

In addition, affirmative action takes the focus off the source of the problem and therefore, removes the pressure to solve it at its source by addressing the consequences of the root problem instead of the source of the root problem. This is not unlike the doctor opting to treat a disease rather than innoculate you for it.

Its time to stop treating the symptoms and cure the disease. If the medical community thought like this we'd all be catching smallpox.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #88
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Tea is better than coffee
I also hold this unpopular opinion
Old 03-21-2007, 05:04 AM   #89
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
I also hold this unpopular opinion
me too.

coffee houses are pretentious and smell bad.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #90
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

"life" didn't begin at birth and doesn't end with death.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote