The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #1621
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,964
I tend to switch off when actors and the like start with the polemics. Regardless of whether I agree with them.

I don't find myself not watching/liking them for it as actors though. I'm happy to separate the actor from their views when they star in a movie. Otherwise I'd never watch anything with Tom Cruise or Kelsey Grammar in it.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #1622
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,486
I probably wouldn't listen to 80% of the music that I do if I based my listening on whether I actually liked the artists as people.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #1623
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 39,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
So - it's ok for an actor to tell everybody what they should think about guns as long as they're pro-guns, but not if they're anti?
Where did I say that? Where did anyone say that? Just because a statement is made, that does not mean that the counter-point to that statement is automatically true.

Heh...I don't like anybody telling me how to think, about anything.

If I like something, it's because I like it, not because someone told me to. Likewise, if I don't like something, it's a decision I've made, no one made that decision for me. In general, I'm not influenced a great deal by external forces.

I am a critically endangered species.
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #1624
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 39,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
...I watched K-19 the other night and it was pretty fecal.

Yeah, I love submarine movies, but, that one wasn't too hot.
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #1625
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Where did I say that? Where did anyone say that? Just because a statement is made, that does not mean that the counter-point to that statement is automatically true.

Heh...I don't like anybody telling me how to think, about anything.

If I like something, it's because I like it, not because someone told me to. Likewise, if I don't like something, it's a decision I've made, no one made that decision for me. In general, I'm not influenced a great deal by external forces.

I am a critically endangered species.
I didn't say you listened to them. But you switch off whatsisname because he started trying to tell people what to think about guns. And criticising Heston is like sacrilege when he has tried to do the exact same thing - tell people what to think about guns.

So - you don't dislike whatsisname because he tried to tell people what to think about guns. You dislike him because he tried to tell people to be anti-guns, unlike Heston who you like and who tried to tell people not to be anti-guns.

It's a minor point.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #1626
BigV
Goon Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
snip--

How is it that being an actor suddenly adds weight to a person's opinion?
I reckon it's because they're easier to notice/harder to miss. It's kind of part of their function, getting noticed "... there *is* no bad publicity."
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Does it work in both directions? Should pundits show up on sets and start telling people how to act?

--snip
I think they already do that, but they're not showing up on the set, they're doing it from where they write/speak (which is often a television set).
__________________
Be Just and Fear Not.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #1627
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Posts: 18,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Yeah, I love submarine movies, but, that one wasn't too hot.
I know, despite the nuclear reactor meltdown!
__________________
The internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously. - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #1628
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
That's because it was water cooled.

It's still in theaters, but when it comes around I'd highly recommend Jersey Boys . I wasn't a big Four Seasons fan, I'd listen on the radio but didn't buy their records. Too hard to sing along with Frankie Valli, although late at night alone in the car, I'd sound bad trying.

I saw this movie on a "yes dear" and was very pleasantly surprise... very. It's much more than singing group hits big time, fades, and hits nostalgia trail, that I expected. The story of the group, the music business, and well, Jersey, is well told and only embellished within artistic license, I think.

I may have been fooled because I'm not up on the real Four Seasons' story, but I was sure entertained. Three thumbs
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #1629
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 13,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
How is it that being an actor suddenly adds weight to a person's opinion? Does it work in both directions? Should pundits show up on sets and start telling people how to act?
Most pundits usually are just acting like they know something anyway. Actors and pundits have weight added to their opinion for the same reason - a TV camera is pointed at them.
__________________
_________________
|...............| We live in the nick of times.
| Len 17, Wid 3 |
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #1630
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Posts: 18,449
DAMN! All those years wasted on the wrong side of the camera. So close, but so far.
__________________
The internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously. - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #1631
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Hoosierland
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I tend to switch off when actors and the like start with the polemics. Regardless of whether I agree with them.

I don't find myself not watching/liking them for it as actors though. I'm happy to separate the actor from their views when they star in a movie. Otherwise I'd never watch anything with Tom Cruise or Kelsey Grammar in it.
Yup, me too. I've been seriously disappointed by the conservative 'righty-speak' of some actors, but I've never really banned myself from watching them.

(Tom Cruise is just a bit looney in real life, but I still him in his movies.)
__________________
Jesse LaGreca in 2012

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #1632
BigV
Goon Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Yup, me too. I've been seriously disappointed by the conservative 'righty-speak' of some actors, but I've never really banned myself from watching them.

(Tom Cruise is just a bit looney in real life, but I still him in his movies.)
May I have a verb, please?
__________________
Be Just and Fear Not.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #1633
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Posts: 18,449
She means she hits the pause button, she stills him.
__________________
The internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously. - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #1634
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,486
My son has been watching My Cat from Hell, which features a cat whisperer with an awful name that he gave himself. But it's actually a cool show.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #1635
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 39,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
And criticising Heston is like sacrilege when he has tried to do the exact same thing - tell people what to think about guns.
So, I can't like and respect someone who likes and promotes guns, just because they like and promote guns? It's not possible that I thought Charlton Heston was a badass long before I knew shit about guns or politics? Is it possible that I can think the same thing as a famous person and my opinion not be a product of that person's political influence?

I respect you, despite your stated position on any number of issues. Should I rethink liking and respecting you? Because, you aren't shy about letting it be known you don't like our gun laws, or guns in general, and I like guns. (Sidenote: Why do you give the first happy damn about our politics? Srs question.)

I'm sure not feeling respected. But, then, I rarely have, here.

Also, you might try looking up and watching the damn videos.

It's not ok for anybody to tell anybody how/what to think. That includes you and me. I'm not out here saying you have to like guns. You can dislike them all you want. But don't turn into a gorilla and climb up on my back if I happen to mention something about guns.
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
movies


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.