View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #48
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post

Now, luckily, the new SENDCO is the Deputy Head. I adore her. She's the reason I got into this in the first place. She's a teacher, and a bloody good one, as well as being a kind disiplinarian. She knows the time constraints. She's also been through all the files in detail and communicated to the teachers. "He'll have to learn..." has been replaced by "How can we help him with this?"
This is precisely what I'm trying to show her. This is a woman who took a child's schedule (best practice btw) away from him because it was too distracting... for her I think. She doesn't understand typical children of this age group let alone my guys. I may have had a small break through with her last week when she watched as I guided an undiagnosed but obviously somewhere on the spectrum girl through a couple pieces of playground equipment that terrified her preventing her from being with a girl she's bonded with. It took maybe ten minutes of really focused support to get her jumping up and down on the bridge with her friends and accepting that others would do the same. It isn't rocket surgery, you just have to look at the world through that child's eyes.