View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #125
dave

I would recommend the GBA SP (folding one). We have two of those, as well as one of the original.

The biggest reason I would recommend it, honestly, is because the original GameBoy Advance has no lighted screen, meaning that you need a very good light source to play games. The GBA SP, on the other hand, has a side-lighted screen, so you can play it very comfortably in the dark (or in a dimly lit room, or in the car when slang is driving). I find the original GBA nearly impossible to play unless I'm sitting directly under a light. Rather inconvenient.

Also, the battery situation should be considered. The GBA SP has a built-in rechargeable battery and comes with a charger. Battery life is excellent on the built-in battery, and can be extended by turning off the light (a single button push). The original, by comparison, uses two AA batteries. It gets pretty good battery life, but it's one more thing that you have to worry about.

The buttons on both models are comfortable, but I find the GBA SP to be a bit better in this regard. I don't particularly care for the shoulder buttons on the original GBA; I feel that the unit has to be held somewhat awkward to comfortably rest my fingers on them. And awkward and comfortable don't go together. Whereas on the SP, my fingers naturally rest on the triggers, and all is right with the world.

The only knock against the SP I can think of is that it does not have a headphone port proper. You need to buy a fucking adaptor to use headphones. It's not even included. How fucking retarded is that?