View Single Post
Old 07-26-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Local Author/Artist - G. Garfield Crimmins

A few months ago I picked up a strange book in the discount bin. I think it was Borders, but it might have been Barnes & Noble.

The title was 'The Republic of Dreams'. The author is G. Garfield Crimmins, who is described as 'an artist living in Pennsylvania'. In his picture in the flyleaf, he is bald with a mustache and goatee and looks a little like Vladimir Lenin.

The book is interesting in that it about a place reachable in ones dreams, where a person can lead a double life. This theme has been in other books, but the Republic is interesting because of its French and art-deco style. It also has props built into the book, like a pocket with a removable passport, postcards, envelopes built into the binding with removable telegrams, and an actual 'artistic license', which supports the books premise that, since the Republic is built of dreams, artists are a highly respected professional class there.

There are lots of sepia-colored photos including a lot of tasteful nude photographs in a 1920's style. The book itself is a sort of travelogue-spy thriller. The plot is lame and serves mostly to take the reader through the Republic.

It's a cute concept and a very odd book. I think Crispin wrote himself as the books protagonist, because one of the photos is of him in a Panama hat, dark jacket, Bermuda shorts and cane arm-in-arm with a beautiful topless woman in a sarong with a shawl draped across her shoulder and neck and fringes or beads dropping down to her chest.

It looks like part of the book was paid for by an NEA grant.

The book listed for $22 but I think I paid $4 or 5 for it.

I have two questions about the book and author.

1) Does anyone here know Mr. Crimmins?
2) In real life does he come across as an eccentric person? Did he write/design the book sober?
3) What is the procedure to have the NEA fund a project involving an individual taking pictures of himself next to partially or totally nude beautiful women? Inquiring minds want to know!
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 07-26-2003 at 06:09 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote