Thread: Election 2012
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #95
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
snip--

"Out of touch rich guy mantra" which is a cornerstone of the Obama campaign.

The election should be about jobs & the economy, not how wealthy a candidate is or isn't and certainly NOT about their tax returns. YMMV.
Ok, let's talk about this point. Wealthy? Whatever. But he touts his wealth (I have friends who own NASCAR/Pro Football teams, only the two Cadillacs, let's wager $10,000, etc etc etc) as abundant and irrefutable evidence of his skill as a businessman. Ok, mad fucking skills, skyhighstacks of skillz, yo.

The thing is, our government isn't a business. It's very very different from business. The skills he has in business, I think some will apply, but lots will not and most especially his talent for making profit, the very reason for existence for a business.

What is profit in government? It's practically a non sequitur. The measures of success in business don't apply in government. The tools that work in business don't apply in government. I don't want my government run like a business.

Now before you pop a vessel straining to disagree with me, I know that there are actions and ideals contribute to success in both realms. But he doesn't talk about his ability to lead by inspiring those around him, he talks about how he loves to fire people. He's king of making profit. He's got lots of friends who are business owners. How will those qualities make him a good president?

He's been governor of Massachusetts. That is a real qualification. But he's *running from* that, sadly, especially because of the "albatross" of "RomneyCare". Really sad. Being President is hard. Practically no one has any experience at it, only presidents, eh? Other chief executives. I don't get any whiff of megalomania coming from Romney, thankfully. I think he's sincere. I just strongly disagree with is positions about the primacy of businesses.

I don't want my government run like a business. Done well, that would be a catastrophe.