View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #197
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch View Post
Aaahhhk.
A great coworker for 8 years is about to get the ax and there is nothing I can do and there will be huge fallout. I know it but she doesnt yet. and I have to play like I dont know cause I'm not supposed to know.
She had the audacity to speak plainly to her supervisor who is now firmly revealed himself to be a dick, as is our big boss. She was very professional, but he was not. Its all infantile. Now my supervisor, a lateral person in the power scheme is also threatened with firing (shes worked here for 20 years) for trying to be an adult and sit all down and talk. And I am in the toxic wake. The big boss is stomping around like a psycho. I have my headphones on, can't really work, so I this is my plea for sanity. Is anyone out there? Why cant people with power be fair and sane?
I'm not the voice of sanity or anything...But when she does get the axe, (8 year co-worker) tell her you are willing to be a professional reference for her. That is one thing you can do, considering that she was the one that did a good job there. When I quit my last job because everyone else was being terrible, I was offered that by the accountant and the other manager who believed that I was the one doing the good job, and empthazied. It doesn't make the situation any more fair but at least she will have the validation of knowing she did the right thing, and when she moves into another position and they want to talk to someone at her last company that she spent a long time working with, they will have someone credible to talk to. In my situation at my last job, I'm not going to actually use them as references, or even indicate that I was employed there (too short term) but it was good knowing that people are there to back me up if I need the ref.

Professional references don't just come from old bosses, they can come from people you worked closely with.

Keep your head low and try to put on your invisibilty cloak for now warch.