View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 12:11 PM   #4
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

With three kids two years apart, I went through each of those early stages concurrently -- and I can tell you, it's not the stage, it's the kid. After my second was born I had the requisite little happy family; one boy, one girl. They were as different as night from day. After the third, I kept wondering if she would be more like her brother or sister in various behaviors and traits -- well, let me tell you, it isn't a two-dimensional continuum! The third was different from the other two in ways I had not previously even considered possible!

Each behaved differently from the others in each "stage." Even though we're not supposed to feel this way, and certainly NEVER supposed to admit it, each has been my "favorite" at different times.

Right now, my 14 year old son is the most entertaining and interactive he has ever been, despite occasional periods of sullenness. My formerly cheerful, compliant middle daughter, soon to be 12, has become very "sassy" and less willing to play that perennial negotiator role. My ebullient youngest daughter, just 10, has become much more shy and self-aware.

I love 'em all, but as my very reserved friend (with two exteremely well-mannered children) just confided in me "don't you just want to beat the shit out of them sometimes?"