View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm only speaking with experience of the laws in Texas, but I can't imagine they're that drastically different from NC.

First off, don't give her ANY more money until a child support order is in place. In Texas at least, such payments DO NOT COUNT even if you have cancelled checks and utter proof that you gave her that money--the money must go through the system for it to count, and that's explicitly stated in the standard child support order. Money given before the courts step in can be counted in some cases, but once they're involved they want control of all money that passes hands.

Secondly (again I'm only sure about Texas) there is a cap on how much of his income they can take, and they can't consider yours at all--30% of gross is all they can take, and he can argue for the right to deduct them as dependents on his taxes.

Third, check out www.fathers.org. They're a legal advocacy group for men being screwed by Bitches (TM). I think they're local, but they may have links to a group closer to you. Sometimes they have lawyers who will take cases pro bono.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote