Thread: Amish Folk
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 08:16 AM   #9
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

I am indifferent towards them.

It's not my place to judge them.

Yet I feel that letting supersticious beliefs(aka religion) guide your life is wrong.

As is cutting yourself off from the world.

The reasons are as follows:

I feel that by letting religion rule your life one makes him/herself merley a thoughtless sheep following the "rules" set down not by god but by another man for god never wrote a word in the bibile.

I also feel that refusal to adopt technology as quickly as possible is an insult to mankind. It's technology that sets man appart from the lesser animals.

Furthermore I feel that it's wrong for the Amish to live in the US, count themselves as citizens and yet try to cut themselves off from the world. They pay miniscule taxes and refuse to take part in wars. In a way, they might as well not exist - they're of no benifit to the country.

Finally, last time I paid a visit to the Amish community in PA I felt that it was more like a theme park than anything else. The Amish were gladly selling whatever they made for ludicrous ammounts of money and the visitors were stupidly buying it. "Ooh its bread that looks exactly like the bread from (insert local grocery store here) but costs three times as much! I must have it!" Half the time I wonder if these Amish are just posing. I had one of them ask me FIVE times if I wanted to ride in his stinking cart.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote