Thread: Are you ready?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm happy to relieve any tension, if'n I get a free pass...?

ETA, Glatt - many of the scenarios they suggest would indeed give you the three day notice period, assuming you had the means to get there. In other words the rich would have access to private planes and helicopters and even the middle incomes would be able to ride or off-road in a way that would beat gridlock.

Wars give a reasonable amount of notice - of course in the case of unprovoked nuclear attack you're stuffed. But anarchy (however unlikely) grows more slowly than a four minute warning, Solar Flares can be predicted, as can Killer Comets (snigger) and Super Volcanos.

I'm not fully buying into this (in a non-literal way; everyone here knows I couldn't afford to really buy into this) but there are some situations in which the super-rich could use facilities like these to protect themselves. We used to have a family plan back in the 80s in the case of The Bomb dropping. Which basically amounted to stay where you are and die, unless it was a weekend when it was stay together and die. I honestly believed what with The Bomb and the IRA I wouldn't live to see the 21st century.

But hurray! I did! And it didn't cost me any extra money to do so!

Last edited by Sundae; 08-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote