View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm a weird mix. There are two things that I do not care what they cost, and I do not even look for the most part, because they are chosen priorities and it's better not to think about it: food and medicine. If I happen to see good meat on sale, I will buy it, and when the organic produce is on sale I might buy extra and freeze it, but if it's not on sale I'll still buy everything I was planning to buy without a second thought.

But we "do without" in most other areas, in order to subsidize these two. All the kids' clothes come from consigment/thrift or are hand-me-downs from friends with older kids. Mr. Clod and I don't generally get clothes for ourselves unless something gets a hole in it. We drive our cars into the ground as a general rule, and we've had one vacation (not counting car trips to the beach that other people paid for) in the last 5 years. We only eat out 2-3 times a year.

On the other hand, Mr. Clod is a technology whore, and there is a certain amount of the monthly budget set aside that he gets to save/spend on new tech that we completely don't need, because it's the one thing he splurges on to stay sane. He doesn't go over his budgeted amount, and I don't get to point out how he doesn't really need whatever it is.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote