View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 04:33 AM   #81
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Well, the three main props of the "Leave" campaign have now been kicked out from under them and exposed as lies.
But people still voted because of those lies. Some intelligent people had their own reasons for wanting Brexit, but many voted because of ridiculous soundbites.

I remember when I was in my early teens, first taking an interest in politics, and it became apparent someone in a very high position of power had lied. I don't even remember who it was or what he'd done. I just remember being so confused. When people were "exposed" in Enid Blyton books, or even on Scooby Doo, no-one ever believed them again and they were officially Bad People. Then I learned how the real world was much more broken than that.

I don't know the facts about the above post re Trump. But I do believe he is a liar. Okay, it helps that his politics are pretty much opposite mine - you always want to believe the worst of those people. But I find him scary.

Bit of British politics:
I do not approve of Theresa May's politics. I would not vote for her as Prime Minister - although we don't vote for party leaders here. But if we have to have a Conservative in Government, she's probably the best of a bad bunch. I don't think she's corrupt. I admire Jeremy Corbyn (Labour) for his vision, but he's the wrong man at the wrong time. Far too divisive. And I'm not sure I trust him either. I think he's been sneaky. I was right about Keith Vaz. Nothing wrong with rent boys and drugs if that's your bag. A lot wrong with lying and hypocrisy. Bring back Tony Benn (RIP).

It's sad that the true visionary MPs are the real constituency MPs and don't make it off the back benches.

And a quick shout out to Greg Mulholland (Liberal Democrat), for whom I voted. He holds a surgery here in the library, which drives me crazy because of the noise, but I see a great many people walking out happier and more reassured than then they walked in.