The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The upcoming Flint ban (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35379)

Undertoad 10-09-2020 08:48 AM

The upcoming Flint ban

When do you figure it'll be, tomorrow or next week

Griff 10-09-2020 09:33 AM

Tap the brakes, we all have our moments and triggers.

Undertoad 10-09-2020 10:30 AM

So next week?

Griff 10-09-2020 10:37 AM

followed by tw then myself?

Undertoad 10-09-2020 10:42 AM

Sure, if you suggest other dwellars should be purged with rat poison because you don't like them

Griff 10-09-2020 02:24 PM

We agree that threats are out of bounds.

Flint 10-09-2020 03:36 PM

oh for christ-pearl-clutching-sake. nobody but metaphorical "rats" have been "threatened" --I may well have said "close the screen door so flies don't get in"

Undertoad 10-09-2020 04:04 PM

One, she's an actual 82 year old person, invited here by another dwellar. And two, you don't get to throw people off the boards.

Only the mods and I get to do that.

monster 10-09-2020 05:49 PM

I'm Flint

Rhianne 10-09-2020 05:54 PM

I'm Flint. And so is my wife.

sexobon 10-09-2020 06:25 PM

I've always suspected they were sockpuppets.

Undertoad 10-09-2020 06:45 PM

It's fine. If I can't stop someone from acting abusively to an 82 year old woman, I will just hit the off button. Your choice.

sexobon 10-09-2020 06:58 PM

OLD LIVES MATTER

Exile to Coventry... away with the mutineers!

Flint 10-09-2020 07:14 PM

In retrospect they might not be a malicious sock puppet. Perhaps just a naive wackadoodle who is peddling dangerous conspiracies upon which *literal life and death* rests on a razor's edge.

I'll ask my friends in the service industry about the angry, spittle-spewing, anti-mask bullies with loaded machine guns that are congregating in force outside their places of business, and coming into their completely unprotected personal spaces after pushing past huge signs that say "masks are state law, and here's a free mask," and whether it matters to them if their behavior was enabled by a Russian bot or a kindly 82yo spokesperson for the end-of-times death cult. Oh and also if angry machine-gun men come knocking on their door, like they are literally doing in my town, is it "okay" if they're just the victims of rampant disinformation, and WHEN people start getting shot was it all just a harmless misunderstanding.

That being said, I don't have any illusions of free speech, I'm happy to conform to the rules of the Cellar. I don't even disagree with UT, so stop making it into a thing.

BigV 10-09-2020 07:34 PM

Flint is my friend *and* my huckleberry.

There was no threat in his post about rat poison.

Your false choice about being "unable" to stop someone from actively "abusing" an 82 year old woman is kind of petulant. Of course you can stop him, on the cellar that is. And of course you can "just hit the off button", at any damn time. You might do it, you haven't yet. *shrug* But saying those are your choices, your binary XOR choices seems a bit melodramatic.

Even I can think of other less dramatic, equally effective controls already built in. Like the ignore function. Hey, I'll do it now.

jaminhealth--

If you notice a given dwellar consistently posting things you don't like, there's a function of this board called "Ignore". Choosing to add a given username to your "Ignore" list will simply and effectively block that users' posts from your view. It's like putting them on mute. And it's reversible so you can switch back (and forth) at any time. The other user doesn't feel a thing, just ask the people on my Ignore list. You'll have to repeat their answers to me since I won't see what they say here.

There. That's done. I hope this reaches the affected parties before anybody hits the big red button.

Gravdigr 10-09-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1059670)
I'm Flint

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianne (Post 1059672)
I'm Flint. And so is my wife.

If I might be so presumptive:

I am The Cellar.

Flint 10-09-2020 07:59 PM

you're as Cellar as it gets, Gd

Undertoad 10-09-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1059689)
And of course you can "just hit the off button", at any damn time.

Actually I can't see having the place much longer. It has brought me zero joy this year. Why should I continue it if it doesn't make me happy.

How about the end of the year. Give people some time to... whatever.

Flint 10-09-2020 11:15 PM

any thoughts of selling it?
or just going full Howard Roark? *kaboom*

monster 10-09-2020 11:28 PM

That's sad and disappointing. I suspect lack of joy in teh Cellar is just a symptom, but I know my opinion is not of value in this matter and wouldn't cure the root problem if it was. I hope you find joy somewhere else and hope that you can find another caretaker rather than 86ing it. Thanks for all that you did.

sexobon 10-10-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1059737)
Actually I can't see having the place much longer. It has brought me zero joy this year. Why should I continue it if it doesn't make me happy. ...

Wishing for a thing does not make it so.

Quote:

... How about the end of the year. Give people some time to... whatever.

Make it so.

The Cellar: Make it so.

footfootfoot 10-10-2020 09:15 AM

I'm assuming Flint will play drums and UT will play bass, but I've no idea who else will fill out the upcoming Flint Band.

Gravdigr 10-10-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1059745)
Thanks for all that you did.

Yes sir, thank you!:notworthy

Clodfobble 10-10-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Actually I can't see having the place much longer. It has brought me zero joy this year. Why should I continue it if it doesn't make me happy.

How about the end of the year. Give people some time to... whatever.

You don't owe anyone anything, and you deserve happiness. But still, I am very sad at this prospect. :(

sexobon 10-10-2020 10:22 AM

I'll miss you most of all, Scarecrow.

jaminhealth 10-10-2020 01:26 PM

Well closing Dec 31, I've had a great forum yrs ago that closed as the owner could not afford to keep it up, tried to sell it but no buyers. There are many forums out there, some thriving and some just hanging on. Just coming here and who knows maybe it would not have gotten better for me, I just say that is LIFE....

It must have worked for a lot for a lot of years. Thanks. jam

lumberjim 10-10-2020 01:46 PM

This site is my diary for the last 16 years. Yours for way longer. Feels bad to think of it closing down.

monster 10-10-2020 01:57 PM

Are you willing to let someone else take over? You weren't the original Cellar Master were you -although you are certainly responsible for it's longevity and evolution into the current format

Undertoad 10-10-2020 02:15 PM

I was co-creator with a friend, from whom I bought out the hardware and setup for $2700 in 1991 dollars.

I told her of the closing this morning, and she logged in for old time's sake; and to her dismay, the first thing she saw at the top of Home Base was the thread asking Cellar women to post their tits.

monster 10-10-2020 02:16 PM

fair.

Undertoad 10-10-2020 02:17 PM

Oh and the answer is no. The site will remain intact and closed for new posts, until an operating system won't support the PHP level needed. It's cheap to do that

lumberjim 10-10-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
I told her of the closing this morning, and she logged in for old time's sake; and to her dismay, the first thing she saw at the top of Home Base was the thread asking Cellar women to post their tits.

Can I get a link?

Undertoad 10-10-2020 02:26 PM

I deleted the thread.

lumberjim 10-10-2020 03:14 PM

You.... grumpy... bastard.

Stop feeding that feeling.

Dude111 10-10-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
One, she's an actual 82 year old person, invited here by another dwellar. And two, you don't get to throw people off the boards.

Only the mods and I get to do that.

A very nice reply......

Please dont take the site down Undertoad..... Just block those who attack other members....

We love it here buddy!!!!

lumberjim 10-10-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Maybe because it brings us together. I'm sorry that isn't in focus right now, and I'm sorry that it seems like we're at each other's throats. I have not contributed content like I'm capable of that might weigh on the positive side of the joy scale much lately.

We've taken this place for granted and forgotten to be kind to each other. To not judge.

sexobon 10-10-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Actually I can't see having the place much longer. It has brought me zero joy this year. Why should I continue it if it doesn't make me happy. ..

That puts you in an awkward situation... dwellars, you can't live with them and you can't shoot them... at least not without having to ban yourself.

Dude111 10-11-2020 12:38 AM

People are so mean now lumberjim its hard to find nice people.......

:(

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2020 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1059662)
One, she's an actual 82 year old person, invited here by another dwellar.

So what?
82 and invited means they are allowed unrestricted ability to spread rumors, lies, and misinformation risking peoples lives?
:crone: OK whippersnappers, drink the Clorox and make Undertoad proud. :facepalm:

footfootfoot 10-11-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1059928)
So what?
82 and invited means they are allowed unrestricted ability to spread rumors, lies, and misinformation risking peoples lives?
:crone: OK whippersnappers, drink the Clorox and make Undertoad proud. :facepalm:

You left out smug and sanctimonious.

Dude111 10-11-2020 01:02 PM

She isnt lying Bruce..... The trouble is you only listen to mainstreanm sources and they will not tell you this stuff buddy!!

keryx 10-11-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1059689)
Your false choice about being "unable" to stop someone from actively "abusing" an 82 year old woman is kind of petulant. Of course you can stop him, on the cellar that is. And of course you can "just hit the off button", at any damn time. You might do it, you haven't yet. *shrug* But saying those are your choices, your binary XOR choices seems a bit melodramatic.

Even I can think of other less dramatic, equally effective controls already built in. Like the ignore function. Hey, I'll do it now.

jaminhealth--

If you notice a given dwellar consistently posting things you don't like, there's a function of this board called "Ignore". Choosing to add a given username to your "Ignore" list will simply and effectively block that users' posts from your view. It's like putting them on mute. And it's reversible so you can switch back (and forth) at any time. The other user doesn't feel a thing, just ask the people on my Ignore list. You'll have to repeat their answers to me since I won't see what they say here.

There. That's done. I hope this reaches the affected parties before anybody hits the big red button.

Oh how I love a post with rational solutions.

jaminhealth 10-11-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keryx (Post 1060036)
Oh how I love a post with rational solutions.

Thanks and I know about the Ignore button and I can read what I want to and Ignore too..and why can I not be able to defend myself somewhat not that it should be necessary....... If I were a young person and not have decades of skin I could be devastated....

BigV 10-11-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1059676)
It's fine. If I can't stop someone from acting abusively to an 82 year old woman, I will just hit the off button. Your choice.

Apparently she has a long established history of talking health-ish babble and disregarding community standards. She sounds like a Karen (apologies to mrs glatt).

Clodfobble 10-11-2020 05:14 PM

Actually, I suspect in all honesty that she has a mild cognitive deficit. Might be illuminating to ask yourself why she and Dude111 know each other...

jaminhealth 10-11-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1060070)
Actually, I suspect in all honesty that she has a mild cognitive deficit. Might be illuminating to ask yourself why she and Dude111 know each other...

Is it your business why Dude and I know each other?...

Actually anyone's business?

BigV 10-11-2020 05:29 PM

I think that is plausible. I have definitely noticed similarities in their styles. Her arrival and the (inadvertent?) spark that lit the fuse on the cellar dynamite ... causation, correlation... One of them is annoying and avoidable, the other is a tragedy and also avoidable. just... fuck.

sexobon 10-11-2020 06:00 PM

Nobody expects the Cellar Inquisition!

monster 10-11-2020 06:21 PM

It's the Drax Factor

Flint 10-11-2020 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1060092)
It's the Drax Factor

I haven't heard that name in a long time. What even was the deal?
:::foggy memories:::

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 1060009)
She isnt lying Bruce..... The trouble is you only listen to mainstreanm sources and they will not tell you this stuff buddy!!

You may be right, she's not lying if she honestly believes the false information she spews. However that doesn't make her less dangerous.
I only listen to mainstream sources? What are mainstream sources and how the fuck do you know what I listen to?
Because I'm not buying the misinformation she spreads I must be listening to your definition mainstream sources?

Hey I'm a wild and crazy guy, sometimes I read results that aren't peer reviewed. Wait for feedback before fully buying it though.
Even the best and most validated facts are only facts until somebody proves them wrong or more likely incomplete.
However doing that is by validated scientific research not some fool making wild claims and accusations on the internet.

Mainstream... the part of the stream where the vast majority of the water moves forward making progress.
Unlike the backwaters and eddies that remain stagnant scum collecting mosquito havens that kill so many people.
Luckily the Gates are spending Billions of their money for clinics, sleeping nets, and vaccines to save millions of people.
Conspiracy theories are created by people who can't believe a person would give their money to save the lives of people they don't know.
I guess that's why the vast majority stick with the mainstream for their safety and live to reproduce.

jaminhealth 10-11-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1060096)
You may be right, she's not lying if she honestly believes the false information she spews. However that doesn't make her less dangerous.
I only listen to mainstream sources? What are mainstream sources and how the fuck do you know what I listen to?
Because I'm not buying the misinformation she spreads I must be listening to your definition mainstream sources?

Hey I'm a wild and crazy guy, sometimes I read results that aren't peer reviewed. Wait for feedback before fully buying it though.
Even the best and most validated facts are only facts until somebody proves them wrong or more likely incomplete.
However doing that is by validated scientific research not some fool making wild claims and accusations on the internet.

Mainstream... the part of the stream where the vast majority of the water moves forward making progress.
Unlike the backwaters and eddies that remain stagnant scum collecting mosquito havens that kill so many people.
Luckily the Gates are spending Billions of their money for clinics, sleeping nets, and vaccines to save millions of people.
Conspiracy theories are created by people who can't believe a person would give their money to save the lives of people they don't know.
I guess that's why the vast majority stick with the mainstream for their safety and live to reproduce.

Keep trusting maintream and you could end up a stat too:

https://mymedicalscore.com/medical-error-statistics/

lumberjim 10-11-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1060070)

I thought everyone knew who brought her in. I mean....

And this will sound age-ist..... But I only feel it's ok to mention because she does in every other post.....

He's got a fascination with old things..... Maybe it extends to people.

She's from a better time when people weren't so vulgar, buddy.

Yeah?

BigV 10-11-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaminhealth (Post 1060098)
Keep trusting maintream and you could end up a stat too:

https://mymedicalscore.com/medical-error-statistics/

I don't have any idea about who those people are or what they're selling.

But the CDC, which I trust, minus the political puppet in the communications office, now on medical leave after saying the bad part out loud, says this about the top ten causes of death in 2016:

Quote:

In 2016, the 10 leading causes of death (heart disease, cancer, unintentional injuries, chronic lower respiratory diseases, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, influenza and pneumonia, kidney disease, and suicide) remained the same as in 2015, although two causes exchanged ranks. Unintentional injuries, the fourth leading cause in 2015, became the third leading cause in 2016, while chronic lower respiratory diseases, the third leading cause in 2015, became the fourth leading cause in 2016 (Figure 4) (1). The 10 leading causes accounted for 74.1% of all deaths in the United States in 2016.
Ambiguous "medical errors" is not present on the list.

You're gonna need to present better evidence to persuade me.

monster 10-11-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1060101)
I thought everyone knew who brought her in. I mean....

And this will sound age-ist..... But I only feel it's ok to mention because she does in every other post.....

He's got a fascination with old things..... Maybe it extends to people.

She's from a better time when people weren't so vulgar, buddy.

Yeah?

snorted, buddy. waste of organic chocolate milk.

Dude111 10-11-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble

We have known each other along time.... One of my first friends when I sailed ashore city-data .. A wonderful site but horribly run....... Mean staff members (Most of them) and if decide they dont like you THERE IS NO ONE TO HELP!!!!! (The ppl running the site dont care what they do which is sad)

monster 10-11-2020 10:26 PM

wonder why they didn't like you? What do you do for a living?

Flint 10-11-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 1060157)
We have known each other along time.... One of my first friends when I sailed ashore city-data .. A wonderful site but horribly run....... Mean staff members (Most of them) and if decide they dont like you THERE IS NO ONE TO HELP!!!!! (The ppl running the site dont care what they do which is sad)

It's not a website's job to make people like you. Just like Kindergarten teachers-- moderators can't make people be friends with you.

When I arrived on this site everybody hated me instantly because I spammed the boards, was totally self-centered and used the site like my own personal amusement park. Basically I told everyone to suck it because I'm having fun, and neener neener. Turns out people got used to my shenanigans even though I constantly push things too far, and suck at apologizing when I accidentally explode something. I don't think there's a moral to this story.

Time and familiarity is what makes friends.

limey 10-12-2020 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1060164)
Time and familiarity is what makes friends.

That’s the moral right there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slang 10-12-2020 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this?