The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

orthodoc 10-15-2014 09:35 PM

Seven-hour exam tomorrow on which my career depends ... so I'm grilling a steak 5 hours before I have to get up, because I can't sleep. Hopefully will sleep after this.

Undertoad 10-15-2014 10:56 PM

You're supposed to grill for an exam!

Griff 10-16-2014 05:50 AM

Just breathe Ortho.

DanaC 10-16-2014 06:56 AM

Good luck Ortho!

orthodoc 10-16-2014 06:15 PM

It's done. I'd better have passed, because I never want to have to do that again. So tired I can't think straight - just crawled into bed and don't have to move again for 11 hours! Thanks for the good wishes, they're much appreciated.

BigV 10-16-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 912067)
It's done. I'd better have passed, because I never want to have to do that again. So tired I can't think straight - just crawled into bed and don't have to move again for 11 hours! Thanks for the good wishes, they're much appreciated.

Excellent. Good work, enjoy your rest.

glatt 10-16-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 912067)
It's done.

Good! I'm sure you did well.

Gravdigr 10-16-2014 10:34 PM

:cheerldr:

orthodoc 10-17-2014 07:53 PM

Love you guys. :hug:

Starting today to taper off a med that has played havoc with my mind and mood for the past two years. I finally get to be rid of it! Cancer-related ... Just one more reason to be so grateful for where I am now, and for all of you.

monster 10-28-2014 09:53 AM

daughter's SAT subject test results due today. She wasn't pleased with how one of them went, but it was a one-shot deal to get them taken in time so it is what it is.....

orthodoc 10-29-2014 09:09 PM

I suppose I could start a thread titled 'What are you finding difficult today?', but it seems self-serving. Many of us are finding parts of our lives difficult.

I'm finding it a challenge coming off this med, with its predictable issues of brain zaps, incredibly loud (much louder than my normal) tinnitus, sudden vertigo, sleep disturbance, and irritability. I've gradually reduced doses with predictable effects, and today was my last dose. The next week(s) may be tough. All of this for a med that was only supposed to treat tamoxifen-induced hot flashes, and didn't even do a good job of that.

I will NEVER take another medication without overwhelming evidence of need or benefit. That said, I'm taking Femara instead of anastrozole (which gave me a fracture), but I refuse to take an anti-osteoporosis injection - urged by my onco because of Femara's side effects - that could give me necrosis of the jaw. I will deal with the osteopenia/osteoporosis, and if it becomes too big an issue, I'll stop the Femara (letrozole). Honestly ... the treatment truly can be worse than the disease.

Clodfobble 11-06-2014 04:42 PM

I'm just so tired.

Routine blood test from the neurologist showed relatively high blood sugar. "Probably because you had just eaten," says they. Except I hadn't. So I picked up a test kit at Target and have been monitoring myself. Currently my averages seem to be hanging out in the "pre-diabetic" range, which isn't terrible but on the other hand I don't eat a whole ton of carbs in the first place, so maybe I'm only accidentally/barely keeping it in check. Meh.

But THEN, Minifob sees what I'm doing and asks if we can test his. Sure, why not... Oh look, it's at 147 when he hasn't eaten in four hours. That ain't good at all. More important is the post-meal spike, so I let him eat his normal (pretty high-carb) snack and will test again in 2 hours.

Anyone want to reassure me that I bought a cheapo blood monitor that gives consistently inaccurate readings? Anyone?

Gravdigr 11-06-2014 05:21 PM

Clod, give this page a try. It compares different meters, and has some guidelines for how accurate a meter should be.

Shouldn't you check first thing in the morning, also?

Clodfobble 11-06-2014 06:06 PM

Yeah, first thing in the morning is the next thing to check... thanks for the link, it's actually very reassuring. Ours isn't listed, but the sheer number of products that are wrong more than half the time means I'm not sold on this thing.

Undertoad 11-06-2014 06:17 PM

Welcome! I got my diagnosis Tuesday!