The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Wildlife, living next to nature (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29992)

xoxoxoBruce 11-04-2015 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Northern Hawk Owl gives no fucks...

glatt 11-04-2015 07:24 AM

of course not. It can levitate.

Gravdigr 11-09-2015 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 54095

glatt 11-10-2015 07:43 AM

I love it.

Gravdigr 11-10-2015 04:08 PM

Squrl jail.

xoxoxoBruce 11-18-2015 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She said the bear was calm, but they drugged it anyway. Good idea, a bear that size will fuck you up.

xoxoxoBruce 11-22-2015 02:52 PM

Bald squirrel in Britain. See why they're called tree rats.
http://cellar.org/2015/treerat.jpg
Quote:

A bald squirrel that has evaded capture by animal experts concerned it could freeze has been caught on camera.
The unusual creature was spotted in Grove Park, Dunstable, where Bedfordshire Wildlife Rescue has spent the past fortnight searching for it.
Dr Helen McRobie, a lecturer in biomedical science at the Anglia Ruskin University, said its lack of hair is probably caused by a genetic defect.
"This is very rare, I have been studying squirrels for years but I have never come across one without any hair," she said.
"Sadly, the squirrel is probably not going to survive the winter if it remains at large. It needs to be kept in the warm once the temperature drops."
A fortnight? I wonder how money and resources was spent on this one critter to save it from natural selection? :eyebrow:

Clodfobble 11-22-2015 05:54 PM

It doesn't look like a baby, which means it's already survived a winter or two without their help, right?

sexobon 11-22-2015 06:11 PM

I've seen squirrels with major hair loss before. They probably want to capture it to definitively diagnose whether it's a mutation, poisoned; or, diseased without alarming the public.

The latter two could be recent.

Carruthers 11-23-2015 09:29 AM

Stop press! They've caught it.

Quote:

Dunstable bald squirrel 'safe and alive' after capture

A hairless squirrel which had evaded attempts to catch it after fears it would not survive the cold weather has been caught, a rescue centre has said.

The unusual creature had been spotted in a park in Dunstable, Bedfordshire.

Bedfordshire Wildlife Rescue, which had been searching for it in Grove Gardens, said "the animal is now safe" in a post on its Facebook page.

A centre volunteer confirmed the animal was alive, but would not reveal its whereabouts.

It had teamed up with the RSPCA after receiving several calls from the public and concerns the squirrel could freeze to death.

Temperatures at nearby Luton Airport fell to 0C on Saturday.

A centre spokesman confirmed to the BBC the squirrel was "safe and alive" but could not reveal any further information about what would happen to it now.

'Genetic defect'

The RSPCA said under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it was generally illegal to release grey squirrels back to the wild once treated by a vet.

Dr Helen McRobie, a lecturer in biomedical science at the Anglia Ruskin University, said she had never heard of a bald squirrel before but it would "need to be kept in the warm once the temperature drops".

"This is very rare. I have been studying squirrels for years, but I have never come across one without any hair," she said.

"If the skin was patchy I would say that it was more likely to have been caused by a disease like mange, but the squirrel is completely bald, suggesting it is probably a genetic defect."
FWIW There's a short video of the creature at this link: BBC

One of the less endearing habits of squirrels, is their persistent looting of the bird feeders in the back garden.

Dad seems to spend a good chunk of his time shouting to scare them off.

It doesn't work, but the occupants of the nearby churchyard have been known to complain about the noise.

Lamplighter 11-23-2015 10:07 AM

Send someone over to Limey's for a couple of knitted sweaters.

sexobon 11-23-2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 946193)
Quote:

... A centre spokesman confirmed to the BBC the squirrel was "safe and alive" but could not reveal any further information about what would happen to it now. ...

Meh, the squirrel probably just got exposed to some radioactive waste from a containment breach during transport through the area.

Nothing to be concerned about unless the neighborhood children start losing hair.

Gravdigr 11-24-2015 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think Bruce mighta been right about those blood-thirsty wabbits:

Attachment 54264

xoxoxoBruce 11-24-2015 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They picked it up from NYC rats. :eek3:

Gravdigr 11-24-2015 04:15 PM

Forced perspective re: the photo.

A 41 lb rat would be as big as a fair-sized beaver, much larger than this bad boy.

That's an awesome rat, don't get me wrong...

Sundae, what do your boys weigh (I sad 'boys', not the girls, I'm talking about rats, here;))? A pound, pound and a half?

Clodfobble 11-24-2015 04:59 PM

A 41-lb. rat would be as big as a 5-year-old child.

Sundae 11-25-2015 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 946292)
Sundae, what do your boys weigh (I sad 'boys', not the girls, I'm talking about rats, here;))? A pound, pound and a half?

Never weighed the little chaps. And I am completely rubbish at estimating weight.
I just know that when I came back from staying at Mum's, and picked up Otis, he was skin and bone. Broke my heart, especially after what happened when I gave Diz into someone else's care.

Duncan was still fat as butter though.

FTR - Otis has put weight back on. He's looking healthy and climbing around as before. But his breathing is still like someone sawing a log. But I made the decision NOT to take him back to the vets. He's better off with Duncan, with me. Time away from us is punishment in his ratty brain.

But back to the O/P - wow, that's a big-arse rat, forced perspective or not!

Griff 11-25-2015 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 946298)
A 41-lb. rat would be as big as a 5-year-old child.

...and wouldn't taste half as good.:eek:

Clodfobble 11-25-2015 07:57 AM

:lol:

xoxoxoBruce 11-25-2015 08:00 AM

Doesn't it depend on whether it a 5 year old boy or girl? I mean sugar and spice vs snakes and snails? :blush:

fargon 11-25-2015 01:28 PM

I can't say it.

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2015 06:51 AM

Beetles be wildlife, and the closer you look the wilder they be, especially in slo-mo.

Carruthers 12-04-2015 04:40 AM

Giant goanna gives Australian man a shock after climbing across his house
Eric Holland heard a banging noise and emerged from his shed to discover a five-foot goanna splayed across his side wall

http://s9.postimg.org/cfxz07ucv/Goanna.jpg

A man who discovered a five-foot goanna climbing across the side of his house in Australia said he “couldn't have been more shocked if a Martian had landed”.

Eric Holland, 80, was working in the shed in his back garden when he heard a banging noise and emerged to discover the giant reptile splayed across the side wall of his house.

He said the creature’s claws “had to be bloody 40 millimetres [1.6 inches] long at least".

"It blew the cobwebs out of me," he told ABC News.

"He climbed up the bricks and got under the eve and his tail was twitching and hitting on the pipe... My yellow streak started to show and I jumped back in the shed."

This goanna was thought to be a lace monitor, a native Australian reptile, which can grow to up to about seven feet in length. For the most part goannas are wary of humans, but are considered dangerous on account of their sharp teeth and claws.

Mr Holland, who lives in Albury in New South Wales, said the goanna quickly left the property and has not been seen since.

He took a photograph of the creature and was surprised when it made the local paper, though the image has since gone viral on social media.

"I couldn't have been more shocked if a Martian had landed," he said.

"I'll be wearing my long pants and my big boots outside, that's for sure.”

Daily Telegraph

Incidentally, the original text said that '...goannas are weary of humans'. I think they meant 'wary'.

I dunno, though...

Griff 12-04-2015 06:33 AM

Damn Australia...

Gravdigr 12-04-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 947184)
Damn, Australia...You crazy!

Fixed it.

Also::3_eyes:

If I walked outside and saw that thing on my house, I'd u-turn between steps, go back in and start packing a fucking bag to GTFO.

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 947184)
Damn Australia...

Well, to be fair, there are 30 species of goanna, but only 25 of them live in Australia. :rolleyes:

Carruthers 12-04-2015 10:53 AM

Friends of mine emigrated to Western Australia a few years ago.
Initially they rented a house before buying their own.
They visited the dwelling, in the later stages of construction, while the kitchen was being painted.
The painter opened the pantry door and retreated at best speed having found a Dugite in there.

The world's first formation laundry moment was narrowly avoided. :eek:

Gravdigr 12-04-2015 11:03 AM

Dugite? See? I haven't even heard of that one!

Quote:

The venom of P. affinis is potentially one of the most lethal in the world...
Fuck you Australia. You are beautiful, but, fuck you.:lol2:

Gravdigr 12-04-2015 11:06 AM

Quote:

A dugite can grow up to 2 m (6 ft 7 in) in total length (including tail).
Aren't snakes nothing but tail from, like, the eyes on back?:eyebrow:

Clodfobble 12-04-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Dugites are protected under the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 and to kill or injure one attracts a fine of up to A$4000.
Welp... thar's yer problem.

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2015 12:57 PM

The Aussies all live clustered along the coast. It's easy to see why. :eek:

Griff 12-04-2015 02:44 PM

Just waiting for a boat big enough to get by the sharks and crocs...

Carruthers 12-04-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 947226)
The Aussies all live clustered along the coast. It's easy to see why. :eek:

My friends live on the northern edge of Perth.

Conveniently situated between the snakes and the sharks. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2015 03:22 PM

Perth, over on the dog's chin. ;)

lumberjim 12-05-2015 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 947200)
Fixed it.

Also::3_eyes:

If I walked outside and saw that thing on my house, I'd u-turn between steps, go back in and start packing a fucking bag to GTFO.

I'd lasso it and tame it by feeding it magic mushrooms and boiled chicken. I would name it Sid. Then I would find him 3 female Goannas and name them all Nancy. I'd make him wear a blue and yellow striped knitted sweater and paint his head white. If I lived in Australia. Because I'd be fucking insane to live there, and that's something an insane person would do.

lumberjim 12-05-2015 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 947209)
Aren't snakes nothing but tail from, like, the eyes on back?:eyebrow:

I think the tail starts at the cloaca, actually

Gravdigr 12-05-2015 04:55 PM

No, no, they're just a tail that fell off something.

glatt 12-06-2015 04:11 PM

Buster points out this cute video he saw on FB of a raccoon grooming a kitty.

glatt 12-06-2015 04:15 PM

And he also points out this video.

Deer knows the dog is all bark and no bite.

glatt 12-07-2015 11:57 AM

Matthias Wandel is always coming up with something good. No mice were injured in the filming of this video.

Holy shit, is it easy to post a video twice - once regular and once wide. It took like 2 seconds. Literally.

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

No mice were injured in the filming of this video.
Why not? :eyebrow:

glatt 12-07-2015 12:08 PM

To appeal to a wider audience.

He freely admits that the bucket will normally contain water.

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2015 12:15 PM

If he's not putting water in the bucket, then sulfuric acid so we could watch it dissolve Terminator style. Or take the live mouse out and draw & quarter, burn at the stake, or live vivisection it, for entertainment value. :Flush:

Undertoad 12-07-2015 12:19 PM

Ohhhh when I was in the farmhouse I read about this type of trap. I really should have built one, because I could have left it there when I departed.

Now, the water would eventually dry up...

Gravdigr 12-07-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 947675)
Holy shit, is it easy to post a video twice - once regular and once wide. It took like 2 seconds. Literally.

Wow. How subtle. Better pick up that hint before someone trips over it.:right:

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2015 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or killing next to nature.

classicman 12-14-2015 09:08 PM

sad.

xoxoxoBruce 12-14-2015 09:38 PM

Yet you slaughter those mushrooms without remorse. Tsk tsk tsk. :p:

Gravdigr 12-17-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 936328)
Wow, Momdigr's lucky. Pete's kind love human blood you know, go for the throat. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 946288)
I think Bruce mighta been right about those blood-thirsty wabbits...

He was! He was right about those bloodthirsty wabbits:

Psychologist Called After ‘Bloodthirsty’ Bunny Attacks Animal Shelter Staff

:eek::eek::eek:

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2015 04:41 PM

A psychologist? It's a fucking rabbit, a dangerous rabbit, kill it with fire. How many animals could they shelter with what they're spending on one damn rabbit? :eyebrow:

Gravdigr 12-17-2015 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 54518

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2015 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See, even in the old days this bunny was ready to slice his enemies like hard boiled eggs or cheese.

Undertoad 12-18-2015 07:40 AM

http://cellar.org/2015/fisheatsduckling.gif

glatt 12-18-2015 08:04 AM

Hasenpfeffer recipe

Gravdigr 12-18-2015 12:15 PM

A buddy built himself a pond/waterfall in his backyard, and eventually put a few little bass in there to have something to watch swim around. He got a duckling later. That duck was pretty good size and the little bass would still try to get him. It was kinda funny watching the fish stalk the duck, then grab him and pull him under by one leg. The duck would erupt up outta the water like he was being eaten alive. He prolly thought he was.

His name was Aflac. The duck, not the fish. The fish didn't have a name, he wasn't going to come to ya nohow.

xoxoxoBruce 12-18-2015 12:20 PM

Small Bass, big duck = dog, car. OK you caught it, what now? :haha:

xoxoxoBruce 12-20-2015 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Momdigr dug up an old Christmas card.

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Osprey, I think...

Gravdigr 12-21-2015 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 949176)
Momdigr dug up an old Christmas card.

At least I can be Elvis' friend. I've caught a rabbit.

Quote:

♪ ♫You ain't never caught a rabbit♪ ♫
♪ ♫And you ain't no friend of mine♪ ♫

~"Hound Dog"

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 02:36 PM

Sing it brother, and a handsome lad you were.
One can only imagine the time and effort involved in the transition from there to here. :p: :lol: