The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

orthodoc 07-15-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks, Bruce (x0x0x0). The least I can do for the techs is to make gas along the way, although considering I can't seem to eat anything it's probably not an issue.

Sundae 07-22-2013 08:05 AM

Off to my first official work meeting tonight.
Not worried about that per se. Just the dress code.
Smart/ casual.

What is this smart/ casual?
Is it office wear? Is it what you would wear on a date? Is it what you would wear for a lunch out with your family?
It's set to be the hottest day of the year so far. Smart/ casual can kiss my arse. I'm wearing cropped office-style trousers (see Thame thread for similar.)
It's not denim, they have no holes in them and you can't see the crack of my arse.

Possibly a plain, fitted t-shirt top with a little jewellery to dress it up.

Smart/ casual.
Tcha.

orthodoc 07-26-2013 04:24 PM

Packing for another trip - didn't even have time to do laundry after getting home late yesterday. :right:

I hate packing; it makes me anxious. I am the person who will end up at a medical conference with three ball gowns, a red t-shirt, and no underwear. So I overpack and still end up without necessary things.

Going to just throw lots of stuff in the cases and get out of Dodge before the Pittsburgh/weekend traffic gets too ugly. If I end up in Michigan with nothing but ball gowns and a red t-shirt I'll take pics. :p:

Nirvana 07-26-2013 07:03 PM

Have fun and take pics anyway! :)

glatt 07-29-2013 07:17 PM

Earlier this year a small group of attorneys left my firm. It was a loss. I liked them, and they brought business into the firm.

I just got an email that another small group of attorneys is leaving. They were all assholes, so I won't miss them. But it can't be good for the firm.

It's still a big place, but I'm not feeling so confident about its health. I'm wondering how marketable I am.

Lamplighter 07-29-2013 07:46 PM

Once the second group is out the door, send a email to the first group:

"They're gone. It's OK to come back now"

Griff 07-29-2013 07:50 PM

...or tell the first group you may be available.

orthodoc 08-06-2013 09:00 PM

I have an all-day interview tomorrow for my old job. However, it has to morph into something very different from its current structure to have a chance of success. So my multiple interviews will consist of selling that concept to those who matter.

BigV 08-07-2013 10:17 AM

good luck, that kind of thing stresses me the hell out.

orthodoc 08-07-2013 09:12 PM

Thanks - the interviews went very well today. It looks like it may be possible to work out a different practice structure; everyone was enthusiastic. I hope it all works out.

xoxoxoBruce 08-07-2013 09:24 PM

Very good, go get 'em.

Clodfobble 08-08-2013 08:41 AM

The kids are about to have three days in a row out in the sun doing water activities. This is great for them and all, but pale, blonde little Minifobette burns if she stands too close to an incandescent bulb. I can slather on the sunscreen every hour like I always do, but I think what I really need to do is go buy her a giant sunhat with a string to keep her from losing it.

BigV 08-08-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 872751)
The kids are about to have three days in a row out in the sun doing water activities. This is great for them and all, but pale, blonde little Minifobette burns if she stands too close to an incandescent bulb. I can slather on the sunscreen every hour like I always do, but I think what I really need to do is go buy her a giant sunhat with a string to keep her from losing it.

I strongly recommend a surf shirt (also known as a rashguard for protecting the wet skin from rash from lying on the board all day). They come in every color and pattern that swimsuits do, from solids to patterns. One nice element for your situation is that some of them come with high necks, like a turtleneck, and with long sleeves. You'll get far more protection for her (and his) torso with such a shirt than you would do with a sun hat. Plus, you can't lose it and it works equally well in the water. There are lots of designs, loose, tight, long and short sleeved. We used these in Hawaii and I loved them. Very effective.

Of course, it offers no protection for her face and ears and scalp (yes, I've had my scalp sunburned through my hair, it's very very uncomfortable) and only some protection for her neck, depending on the shirt. For that, a big hat is a good idea. Failing that, getting some of the industrial strength sunscreen is your next best bet. Back in the day, I used zinc oxide for my nose. Go on, laugh. It was not clownishly unfashionable then for the lifeguards to have white noses. And it blocked 100% of the sun, it was water-proof, *and* you could tell when it was time to reapply due to wiping, not water or sweat. But you do have the white clown makeup appearance factor. There are other invisible products I've had good success with since then, like Bullfrog. I know there are others. I liked the Bullfrog because the beeswax in the formulation really gave it staying power.

orthodoc 08-08-2013 02:38 PM

Big hat, spf 30 fabric shirt and preferably leggings (maybe a wetsuit?), and tons of sunscreen even under the shirt etc. ... it's frustrating, but pale, blond people are more prone to skin cancer from UV exposure than others. A bad burn in childhood sets you up, as you obviously know, Clod, since you're concerned about the sun/water activities.

Living where you do, this is tough. Maybe encourage her to start horseback riding (shameless plug here for the benefits of horse activities for all ages :p: ) - you have to cover up except +/- for arms, and you wear a hat ... it saved my skin back in the day when everyone slathered themselves in oil and lay in the sun.

Clodfobble 08-08-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
(yes, I've had my scalp sunburned through my hair, it's very very uncomfortable)

We are very familiar with this type of burn. We already put sunscreen right on her scalp (makes her hair look ridiculous,) but it's hard to get all the nooks and crannies. I found her a big straw cowboy hat at a sporting goods store this afternoon that somehow fits her tiny head. Keeps her face and shoulders completely shaded, and it stood up to being soaked with water during today's activities, at least. Day one = burn-free. Two more to go.