The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Second Chances (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6064)

richlevy 06-12-2004 02:13 PM

Second Chances

Sometimes when celebrities die we feel we have been cheated. So I will open the floor to nominations. What famous people, currently living or dead, would you bring back for another few decades of life.

BTW, none of this 'reincarnate as an ant' crap. I mean bringing them back in good health to continue their legacy.

I will post some options up for a vote, but make your own suggestions. Who do you think has or had so much to give to us by their existence that they deserve/d an encore?

marichiko 06-12-2004 02:56 PM

My father. OK, I know he wasn't a public figure, so I supppose he doesn't exactly count. But he was an intelligent, compassionate man, with the best dry wit I have ever encountered. I think his marriage to my insane Mother in the 50's when divorce was still heavily frowned upon really held him back in his life. I'd like to see him return unburdened by her. I bet he'd be a force to be reckoned with! As for public figures, my vote goes to Albert Sweitzer.

jaguar 06-12-2004 02:59 PM

Argh, forgot to vote for Lenon as well as Albert.

Nicolas Tesla
Mark Twain
Oscar Wilde

smoothmoniker 06-12-2004 03:12 PM

Jimi Hendrix - to relight the fires of music

Abe Lincoln - to reunite the warring factions

Immanuel Kant - to refute the absurdities of what passes for contemporary philosophy

-sm

lumberjim 06-12-2004 03:43 PM

rich, how could you omit Elvis? for shame.

John Bonham!

Bruce Lee!

The guy from Blind Melon

Janice

Plato

and the number one guy i'd bring back , just so he could see how big an impact he had: DaVinci

Undertoad 06-12-2004 04:21 PM

I'd hafta bring back scientists first because they could build on what work they'd done previously. And I'd hafta bring back physicists first, because their work explains the nature of the world and the universe, and is most likely to benefit from such a building on previous work. And I'd have to bring back Feynman first, just for sentimental purposes, because his autobiographies were so madly brilliant. I think he could not only build on his understanding of science, but also on his understanding of life.

blue 06-12-2004 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
I'd hafta bring back scientists first because they could build on what work they'd done previously. And I'd hafta bring back physicists first, because their work explains the nature of the world and the universe, and is most likely to benefit from such a building on previous work. And I'd have to bring back Feynman first, just for sentimental purposes, because his autobiographies were so madly brilliant. I think he could not only build on his understanding of science, but also on his understanding of life.
No, fuck that. Bring back Belushi!

Slartibartfast 06-12-2004 05:02 PM

if we bring back kurt cobain, can we give him zoloft and therapy so he won't off himself again? The downside is that if we treat his problems, his music might suck.

richlevy 06-12-2004 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim
rich, how could you omit Elvis? for shame.

Well, I only had 10 slots due to the limitations on polls. Tesla is a great choice, and so is Da Vinci. For that matter I'd love to see what Mozart would do with today's technology.

How many people remember Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and the scene with Beethoven in the mall organ store?

xoxoxoBruce 06-12-2004 10:43 PM

Jesus Christ.;)

Lady Sidhe 06-13-2004 02:59 PM

I voted for Einstien, but I have to agree with those who suggested Nicolas Tesla, Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, and Plato.

richlevy 06-13-2004 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Jesus Christ.;)
According to the new Testament, "been there, done that".

Torrere 06-13-2004 08:29 PM

Definitely Mozart. I could see him doing some awesome stuff today. I think that he would have a lot of fun, too.

xoxoxoBruce 06-13-2004 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by richlevy

According to the new Testament, "been there, done that".

What, you wouldn't like him to come back and verify or deny what the fundies claim?;)

Torrere 06-14-2004 12:57 AM

I would also vote for bringing back Martin Luther King Jr., the man who prevented the war.

LSMFT 06-24-2004 10:46 AM

Max Patkin! If I can't have that choice, how about the guy who used to do all the pastries and breads at the old Michelfelder's Deli in King of Prussia. I really miss that bread!

glatt 06-24-2004 12:15 PM

I have to disagree with everyone saying we should bring back Plato.

I mean, she was good in "Diff'rent Strokes" and all, but that's really not much of an accomplishment. Well, I suppose that's the point, isn't it? If she came back, she might do some better work. OK. Bring her back. I'm in.

lookout123 06-24-2004 12:46 PM

CS Lewis - love his work

Thomas Jefferson - so he could say WTF happened here?

Walter Payton - a great player who also knew the definitions of class and humility

Dwight D Eisenhower - intelligent military leadership couldn't hurt

JFK - so he could remind current democrats what the party really stood for

Darth Vader - everybody needs a "good" bad guy - the new star wars sucks.

Deforest Kelly - there weren't enough star trek sequels, uh maybe not.

Cliff Burton - so he could remind the homos in metallica what metal really is.

Chris Farley and John Candy - 2 of the nicest guys i ever met - i wish someone could have taught them discipline.

My Grandfather and thousands of other WWII vets - most of them didn't get fancy degrees and make oodles of money, but held unfathomable knowledge gained from their experience.

ladysycamore 06-24-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Torrere
I would also vote for bringing back Martin Luther King Jr., the man who prevented the war.
Definately King! Also, Mozart (wonder what he'd think of Prince, who is considered a modern day Mozart), Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison.

I'd say Elvis, but ONLY if he came back as black leather clad "comeback" Elvis and STAY that way. :p Oh and NOOOO drugs!

lumberjim 06-24-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ladysycamore

(wonder what he'd think of Prince, who is considered a modern day Mozart) ~snip~
Oh and NOOOO drugs!

why, cuz you want them all for yourself? prince = motzart? :joint: ...eeeeer!

elSicomoro 06-24-2004 08:40 PM

If MLK is brought back, you gotta bring Malcolm X back too. MLK needs some competition.

And yes, Prince is considered a modern-day Mozart by some. I dunno about that, but I'd say he's easily one of the best composers of the past 100 years.

Slartibartfast 06-24-2004 09:14 PM

Ramanujan.
Born 1887, died 33 years later.

Given a second chance, who knows what he would do?

He's sort of like Mozart who died at 35. They're two geniuses who did in half a normal lifespan what most people can't come close to doing in the usual three score and ten years.

richlevy 06-24-2004 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast
Ramanujan.
Born 1887, died 33 years later.

Given a second chance, who knows what he would do?

He's sort of like Mozart who died at 35. They're two geniuses who did in half a normal lifespan what most people can't come close to doing in the usual three score and ten years.

Isn't he the mathematician mentioned in Good Will Hunting?

Slartibartfast 06-25-2004 04:03 PM

I can't give you a definite yes, but it seems likely it would be him.

Ramanujan was a self-taught mathematician. He was born to a poor family, and he lived most of his life in India. In high school, he found an old, outdated math textbook, and he used it as a starting point into advanced mathematics. But then he focused so much on math that he failed to pass college exams. He ended up living on handouts from friends while he went around trying to find someone to support his math studies. By himself he rediscovered what a number of other top mathematicians had already worked out, as well as some discoveries of his own.

Ramanujan eventually did get recognized as brilliant. He spent a few years doing research in universities, but he was never very healthy and he died young. If he had lived ten or twenty more years, I'm sure he would be more than just a footnote in math history.

jaguar 06-25-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

Isn't he the mathematician mentioned in Good Will Hunting?
i love that movie. Nothing more than when he rationalizes that by joining the NSA he would be killing his friend, absolutely fantastic.

cowhead 06-28-2004 04:01 AM

Nikoli Tesla... man that guy was freakin' billiant

Bach or Beethoven ( lMotzart, freakin brilliant and all, but THOSE guys invented 'rock')

Ben Franklin...

Thomas Jefferson

Ghandi (the world could use a respected 'sane' voice these days)

Bing Crosby (man he can sing! and did quite a bit for the 'racial movement.. really!)

the list cuold go on and on... and ya know I think I might finally be tired enough to go to sleep!

so that's it for now

ladysycamore 06-28-2004 01:03 PM

GADS, I can't believe I didn't mention JOHN LENNON! :eek:

Silent 06-30-2004 03:14 PM

Definitely not Einstein. He spent the last years of his life trying to refute Quantum Theory.

Dude111 07-09-2017 02:00 AM

I picked these on the poll

Albert Einstein
FDR
Ronald Reagan
Jimmy Carter
John Belushi

FDR was trying to do the right thing and he was cut down....
Albert was a genius
Ronald was a GOOD president.
Jimmy was fine also
John is excellent!!

Gravdigr 07-10-2017 01:54 PM

These are some of the ppl I'd like to see come back:

Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Sammy Davis, Jr.
John Fucking Wayne

BigV 07-10-2017 08:59 PM

Hey Grav, check these out.

captainhook455 07-15-2017 07:19 AM

Dan Blocker.

fargon 07-15-2017 02:16 PM

Theodore Roosevelt.

Gravdigr 07-17-2017 12:31 PM

Jonathon Winters
Robin Williams
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Lee Hooker
Walter Cronkite (Today is the anniversary of his death, btw.)