The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

sexobon 02-19-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

… lifetime warranty (except for human damage) …
Blame it on the dog.

Undertoad 04-19-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1019983)
Late Friday afternoon I was trusted to change the address (the A record) for the domain name of the largest potato chip brand in the USA.

This week I created the DNS records for a new domain name that combines a top snack food brand and a top Marvel character.

~ maybe not "a" top maybe "the" top ~

One reason this sounds more impressive than it is: around the group, people refer to screw-ups in these highly visible processes as "resume-generating events"... :eek: So it still fits in this thread, some apprehension is still part of my days.

The gig is kind of 99% boredom, 1% terror. A lot of jobs are like that. Piloting, I'm told, is like that.

xoxoxoBruce 04-19-2019 11:45 AM

Skydiving, it's all fun and games until you get to the ground. :haha:

Gravdigr 04-19-2019 11:51 AM

Skydiving: It's not a race. The guy that gets to the ground first does not always win.

BigV 04-21-2019 05:08 PM

My enthusiasm for this stage of the project is flagging. Perhaps some breakfast will help.

Carruthers 06-10-2019 05:17 PM

The rain has been incessant today and it's still raining now.
It's just after 2300 and the wind is starting to howl.
The conifer in the bank of the stream at the bottom of the garden is no doubt swaying back and forth.
It's about 50' tall and doesn't seem to be very deep rooted.
Equally worrying is the row of Ash and Sycamore trees on the opposite bank.
They must be about 70' tall and they're fully in leaf so susceptible to damage in high winds.
If any of these were to fall they wouldn't reach the house but clearing up the resultant mess would be a real pain in the fundament.
Still, there's nothing I can do about it...

Goodnight all.

BigV 06-10-2019 05:23 PM

Shelter in place.

Good luck to you and your trees.

Carruthers 06-10-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1033825)
Shelter in place.

Good luck to you and your trees.

Thanks!

I've just shone a torch down the back garden and nothing has fallen over...

... yet.:eek:

limey 06-11-2019 03:59 AM

How's it looking this morning, Carruthers?

Sent by magick

Carruthers 06-11-2019 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1033847)
How's it looking this morning, Carruthers?

Sent by magick

It's still there as are the Ash and Sycamores t'other side of the stream.

The trouble is it also has a large covering of ivy which doesn't help matters and the last few yards of the garden, where it grows, slope steeply.

It leans towards the slope and the light as well.

What will be, will be, I suppose!

Griff 06-11-2019 06:09 AM

Yeah, there is no stopping gravity,.. but if we could...

xoxoxoBruce 06-11-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Yeah, there is no stopping gravity,.. but if we could...
Playtex and Maidenform would be bankrupt.

Carruthers 06-11-2019 08:02 AM

As we all know, gravity begins at home. ;)

Carruthers 06-11-2019 09:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These aren't the best of photos but they at least outline the situation.
As you can see, the conifer leans slightly to the left but it also leans towards the camera.
That's a yew at bottom left which is less of a worry.

Attachment 68059

I clambered down the bank in an attempt to illustrate the problem from the ground up, as it were, but it wasn't easy.
I couldn't get any further away from the tree due to a fence behind me and the ground on the other side is mostly covered by ivy which is very wet at the minute and I didn't want to slide down into the stream.

Attachment 68058

This is why I worry!

BigV 06-11-2019 10:14 AM

That English Ivy is the devil.

It's considered a noxious weed around here. I've ripped out miles of vines. It kills trees from above and below, strangling the roots and crushing the canopy.

Kill it on sight.

Carruthers 06-11-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1033865)
That English Ivy is the devil.

It's considered a noxious weed around here. I've ripped out miles of vines. It kills trees from above and below, strangling the roots and crushing the canopy.

Kill it on sight.

There's a crab apple tree out on the road which has been almost completely smothered by ivy.

Only a few branches ever see the light of day and they are only apparent when there's blossom.

The ivy is so dense around the trunk that you can't actually touch it.

I know, I've tried!

Griff 06-12-2019 06:49 AM

It's fun to saw that yew has a yaw. (sorry)

Gravdigr 06-12-2019 12:37 PM

That yew told me to say "Fuck all yaw."

monster 10-14-2019 11:30 PM

I have both 2018 tax returns in envelopes to take to the post office tomorrow. I think they're right :/

After getting over the emotional planet-sized roadblock of doing the taxes by myself ....this was always me and beest against the world (especially the last few years as we did them during chemo) ......and I just couldn't hand it over to someone else because I promised him we'd be OK and I could so it and this was part of it.....

I then had to address the incredible complexities introduces by the various incomes related to his death and my actions with those.....

And then the stupid Federal tax form is all changed so I couldn't follow our ritual of 20 years of working from the last year's......

but I think I'm good to go..... right up to the wire.... :D :cry: it might be OK...

Griff 10-15-2019 06:14 AM

Often a job that's done imperfectly is better than a job not done. Essentially the story of my life.

Undertoad 10-15-2019 07:52 AM

This is true of the IRS in my experience

Clodfobble 10-15-2019 08:11 AM

Go monster!

monster 10-15-2019 05:55 PM

Thanks. The fuckers are mailed. fingers crossed any bad things I might have done accidentally were not criminal or expensive.... I just followed directions to the best of my ability but it really is a total crapshoot. I realized as I was inking the final version last night, there were two forms that didn't get mentioned anywhere, so I researched some more and found out what schedule I needed and did all that malarkey....and it did reduce my liability further, except that I was aalready maxed out on that avenue. Oh well. Every form I was sent is mentioned somewhere so..... (there were about 30)

limey 10-15-2019 06:49 PM

Attamonster!

Sent by magick

lumberjim 10-15-2019 06:58 PM

Wish I had known you were struggling. That's what Amanda does for a living. I think she does a good amount of Michigan too. If you get a notice from the IRS , let me know.

monster 10-16-2019 12:36 PM

Thanks, I didn't want help. Except from beest :/

monster 10-16-2019 12:39 PM

Grief has the weirdest ways of making itself known and this was one of my unwelcome grief guests

Gravdigr 10-16-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1039993)
Grief has the weirdest ways of making itself known...

Girl, you done said a mouthful.

monster 10-16-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1039977)
Wish I had known you were struggling. That's what Amanda does for a living. I think she does a good amount of Michigan too. If you get a notice from the IRS , let me know.

The struggle was mostly emotional. math and following instructions, I got. I think. but thanks. And i will :) Hopefully I won't need to. It was the Federal that took some time. Michigan basically just takes the figure off the Federal form and wants to know your school district number

lumberjim 10-16-2019 08:39 PM

Whatever it is, I'm trying to be there for you.

People die. Purple live. The dead have the easier path. The survivors have to keep waking up every day and get on with life. Anything I can do to share your load, just ask.

BigV 10-16-2019 08:46 PM

?

Griff 10-17-2019 06:06 AM

I think my last purple shirt went in the trash a while ago. I'll tidy my beard in support.

monster 10-17-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1040008)
Whatever it is, I'm trying to be there for you.

People die. Purple live. The dead have the easier path. The survivors have to keep waking up every day and get on with life. Anything I can do to share your load, just ask.

<3

I will, thanks

Gravdigr 10-17-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1040008)
Anything I can do to share your load, just ask.

I'm about to drop a load. Wanna share that?

I'm trying to get the level below my eyes...

:p:

lumberjim 10-17-2019 06:12 PM

I think you're talking shit

Gravdigr 10-17-2019 06:38 PM

Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

:lol2:

monster 10-17-2019 07:43 PM

You wanna talk shit? Here is my current problem.......

Thunderboy goes to U of M Dearborn. It's technically a different University from The main Ann Arbor Campus. (And U of m Flint) but students may join U of M teams on any campus and use the facilities etc. We live in Ann Arbor so it has been very easy for TB to join the Men's Water Polo Team which practices here in Ann Arbor.

But.... Canham Natatorium has has a cryptosporidium outbreak. So the team is "quarantined" and may not travel to the tournament in indiana this weekend unless they pass a poop test. He went yesterday morning, they said they needed him to come back in the afternoon to see a doc to get the requisition. he got stuck in traffic and missed it by a few minutes, they sent him to the 24 hour lab. they found a requisition in the system, did the test, the results are ready but no-one will give them to him. he has to return to the requisitioning body .... which just says U of M labs on the order. The people on the phone told him to go back to the 24 hour lab who told him to call the people on the phone...... There is no time to start over :(

sexobon 10-17-2019 09:15 PM

Even if he didn't see a doc, someone authorized the requisition. Call Michigan Medicine Laboratories (MLabs) @ 800.862.7284 and have them pull up the requisition to give you the doctor's name and phone number. The results should've been sent to the doctor's office. Call that office for the results and have them faxed to whoever needs it.

It's worth a try.

monster 10-17-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1040045)
Even if he didn't see a doc, someone authorized the requisition. Call Michigan Medicine Laboratories (MLabs) @ 800.862.7284 and have them pull up the requisition to give you the doctor's name and phone number. The results should've been sent to the doctor's office. Call that office for the results and have them faxed to whoever needs it.

It's worth a try.

thanks, he did -MLabs were who told him he could get the result from the 24 hour lab ...who gave him the MLabs number...... they gabe him the non-freephone number too

I have his GP trying to help now. So lucky she had a baby the same time who ended up in the same class at the same schools so is now a friend too.... she's going to get her hoard of nurses on the case first thing in the morning. Prob is, they mostly work with the other Non U M hospital, but any port in a storm, right?

What do we think the collective noun for nurses should be? hoard seems rude.... A "Caring" might be accurate but pukey.... A Swab? yes, I kinda like that. A Swab of Nurses

lumberjim 10-17-2019 10:26 PM

Rack of nurses

sexobon 10-17-2019 11:16 PM

staphylonurses

(staphylo = cluster)

Gravdigr 10-18-2019 12:05 PM

A hosiery of nurses

Know how to tell which is the head nurse?

She's the one with dirty knees.

fargon 10-18-2019 01:12 PM

"Hark a herd of nurse" Hawkeye Pierce

monster 10-18-2019 08:43 PM

well, we got the result, he's clear, but they're not going anyway. Indiana doesn't want them

sexobon 10-19-2019 06:43 AM

They might've got stuck in traffic and missed their start time anyway.

monster 11-19-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1039973)
Thanks. The fuckers are mailed. fingers crossed any bad things I might have done accidentally were not criminal or expensive.... I just followed directions to the best of my ability but it really is a total crapshoot. I realized as I was inking the final version last night, there were two forms that didn't get mentioned anywhere, so I researched some more and found out what schedule I needed and did all that malarkey....and it did reduce my liability further, except that I was aalready maxed out on that avenue. Oh well. Every form I was sent is mentioned somewhere so..... (there were about 30)

....and one (the smaller) refund is in the bank...maybe I didn't fuck up....

Gravdigr 11-20-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1041862)
...maybe I didn't fuck up....

Don't jinx it!

monster 11-20-2019 05:16 PM

lol. I have a feeling the Feds are not liking their return....

sexobon 11-27-2019 08:46 PM

President Trump pardoned the Thanksgiving turkey.

It's rumored that the Rear Admiral (2 stars) commanding the Navy SEALs wants to board the turkey before Thanksgiving; because, he wants it kicked off the turkey farm and stripped of its feathers even though it was already planned for the turkey to go into retirement. Despite the Presidential pardon, the Rear Admiral wants the turkey on the table.

The Secretary of Agriculture, who oversees poultry, is believed to have tried make a deal with the President which would allow the Thanksgiving turkey to be boarded; but, taken off the table and retired with all of its feathers while the alternate Thanksgiving turkey took its place. The Agriculture Secretary did not; however, apprise the Admiral (4 stars) who is Acting Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration which oversees sea food and who had no comment regarding SEALs. The Agriculture Secretary is expected to be fired this weekend.

xoxoxoBruce 11-27-2019 10:03 PM

That one it didn't write itself or just roll off the tongue, you had to work for one.
Thanks.

Griff 11-28-2019 08:02 AM

Just a tempest in a stewpot, nothing to see here.

monster 12-04-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1041932)
lol. I have a feeling the Feds are not liking their return....

w00t! The Fed return is in! I did it! I did it!

I also learned -as the boys did their FAFSAs this weekend- that I put my ss wrong on the state return -I transposed two digits. Didn't seem to bother them, though.... they still gave me my money back :/ this is what happens when you do it manually without a second pair of eyes. get your mind out of the gutter. yes, you.

glatt 12-04-2019 08:03 PM

Rock on!

fargon 12-04-2019 09:24 PM

Good Girl monster.

Luce 12-12-2019 08:18 AM

Sometimes Jeremy Corbyn looks almost like he's alive. It's kinda creepy.

glatt 12-14-2019 10:20 AM

Sitting in the waiting area at the gas station. My 24 year old car is next in line for safety inspection and emissions test.

Clodfobble 12-14-2019 11:52 AM

Did you pass?

glatt 12-14-2019 04:22 PM

Yes! They came with my car and I jumped in a drove away instead of updating you all.

And then I fixed my dome light that hadn't worked for a year or so on the door setting. I spent like 2 hours cleaning contacts and checking continuity and voltage and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Finally a Google search told me that I needed to fix a loose rivet, so that's when I noticed a loose rivet was actually the problem. An awkward maneuver consisting of a center punch in a vise and holding the dome light over the punch while holding a nail set with the same hand and whacking it with a hammer with the other hand fixed it perfectly. Replaced the old dim bulb with a bright LED and it's better than new.

Gravdigr 12-14-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1043075)
Yes! They came with my car and I jumped in a drove away instead of updating you all.

Heh, get away quick before they change their mind.

glatt 12-14-2019 07:47 PM

Exactly!