The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pedophilia Irish Style (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22314)

tw 03-19-2010 06:48 PM

Pedophilia Irish Style

I am amazed how nobody is commenting about widespread and condoned pedophilia by the Catholic Church in Ireland.

Lynn Abraham, the District Attorney for Philadelphia, tired of obstruction by the Church. So she subpoenaed their files. Uncovered (and later published) hundreds of Priests only in the Philadelphia diocese know by the Church - that did virtually nothing to protect children.

It was widespread in Boston, Seattle, Rhode Island, California, and who knows how many other dioceses. There are multiple dioceses in the Philadelphia area. Lynn Abraham only subpoenaed the diocese in her jurisdiction. Why are subpoenas not served to every Catholic diocese? We don't want to make waves?

Well it was going for maybe 100 years in Ireland - and they just covered it up. How widespread is pedophilia in the Church especially when church employees magically have no sexual desired - according to the church. But moreso, why so much silence here?

jinx 03-19-2010 08:27 PM

I agree, it's disgusting.
Why are there any Catholics left at all? No excuse for it...

Nirvana 03-19-2010 08:28 PM

What do you mean doing nothing?

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/84730832.html

TheMercenary 03-19-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 642006)
I agree, it's disgusting.
Why are there any Catholics left at all? No excuse for it...

Yea! and the fucking Jews and Muslims too. Kill them all....:cool::neutral::o:p:

Griff 03-19-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 641999)
.., why so much silence here?

For my part, I'm trying to leave the Church behind without the bitterness and anger I often see in ex-Catholics. The Church is practically dead with the quality of new priests way down and right-wingers holding sway. The only folks who seem to have a positive mission are the nuns and they're under pressure from Rome. The Church is over, they just don't know it yet.

The German ped scandal is the one to watch, it could reach the Vatican. It is interesting how little credence the folks left in the Church give to these scandals attributing it more to a leftist atheist agenda in the press than the upside-down nature of the Churches stance on sexuality.

squirell nutkin 03-19-2010 10:54 PM

I don't see it as a sexuality issue any more than rape is about sexuality. IT is a power issue. The church has always been about power, the interpretations of the bible are such to ensure the power of the church. If the church really was sincere about their gospel, they would forgive in their hearts the pedophiles after defrocking them, handing them over to the authorities, making restitution to the victims, and then taking steps to be sure this thing never happens again.

In other words, The church is full of shit.

tw 03-20-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 642007)
What do you mean doing nothing?

Why has the District Attorney in South Bend not subpoenaed church records from that diocese? After so many well proven revelations in Boston and by the DA for Philadelphia - every name and church published in the Philly Inquirer - why is that not sufficient for most DAs in every city to issue subpoenas? We literally have a nationwide organized crime ring. Except is can hide behind robes and religion?

And some people call the mullahs in Iran evil.

Ireland implies the sex crime ring is international in scope.

squirell nutkin may have hit the nail square on. The powers that be are complicit in minimizing prosecution. In the Philly diocese alone, some 200? clergymen were known sexual deviates according to the church’s own records. How many hundreds are lurking in South Bend? Does law enforcement know? Why not considering this problem appears to exist in every church diocese. If this was the mafia, the feds would have raided diocese cathedrals long ago (smashing kegs of wine Elliot Ness style).

And this problem can be explained (in part) by a myth that justifies celibacy.

But then who was supposed to be dealing with this problem when John Paul II was the Pope? The current Pope. He rejected an appeal from and when most all American bishops went in mass to the Vatican to beg John Paul to address this problem immediately.

Whereas I can appreciate Griff’s attitude. Still, I am amazed how silent virtually everyone has been. Did the vatican (and current Pope) order bishops to continue a coverup? It certainly looks that way.

xoxoxoBruce 03-20-2010 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

glatt 03-20-2010 09:18 AM

My parents are still Catholic, and they are very sad watching their church die. It's quite depressing for them. They had never seen the bad side of the Church, and to see it withering down in size to a tiny fraction of its former self, shutting churches all across town and consolidating services into just one church where there used to be half a dozen churches is quite distressing for them. There are no young families in their church. It's just a bunch of old farts and they keep dying off.

squirell nutkin 03-20-2010 10:26 AM

I have many die-hard Catholic friends (nearly all my parents age) who feel the same way. It is short sighted of any organization that wants to keep its membership strong to rape the potential new members, then deny the accusations, then spend the coffers buying silence.

Just plain old poor strategy.

It is hardly an Irish problem though. There was a big hullaballo a while ago about the Jesuits shipping all their pedos off to extremely remote locations (Alaska, BC, where they were free to terrorize the the locals who were too isolated to mount a defense.) (Hey, let's send send father cuddly to Bumfuck, Nebraska!)

jinx 03-20-2010 10:52 AM

It's like finding out after all these years what NAMBLA is really up to, but continuing to go to meetings and pay dues because the coffee is good all your friends are there.
I cannot abide.

Griff 03-20-2010 11:14 AM

It is largely that very human tendency to look for supporting facts and ignore the rest. A very few false/unproven accusations of clergy abuse come forward so the faithful give a lot of weight to them dismissing the true scope of the problem. Rush, Hannity, and Beck depend on this lack of openness of mind to keep reactionaries running by feeding them enough information to keep new thoughts out of their heads. We all do it to some extent but some of us try for balance, a lot of folks can't afford that unstable a reality. The shear scale of the Irish problem should help shatter some illusions but I don't see people with a 60 + year commitment breaking off a relationship of this magnitude.

tw 03-20-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 642124)
The shear scale of the Irish problem should help shatter some illusions but I don't see people with a 60 + year commitment breaking off a relationship of this magnitude.

I had thought the Catholic church was one of the Christian denominations that was remaining stronger? However that trend may be dated.

I measure people by their actions; not by their feelings. The Pope's message to be read this Sunday to the congregation calls for this action - more prayer. That is it. Just more prayer. Nothing else.

So how large is denial in Rome? Really. Is there any source that can put their views into perspective? Or are we to judge then entire church only by their overt denials and (again) inaction?

Criminally protecting pedophiles has been exposed in Australia, US, and Ireland. How many more countries because someone in Rome says, "Holiness, I think we had a problem." Or did some insider say that. If you thought the Kremlin was hard to understand. It is just hard to fathom an institution this much in denial.

Griff 03-21-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 642198)
I had thought the Catholic church was one of the Christian denominations that was remaining stronger? However that trend may be dated.

They were/are growing in Africa where the old school nonsense looks progressive. Around here Vatican II, which may have been the Churches last chance to be relevant, is retreating rapidly and some in the Church even blame that liberalization for the peds. The local Church is being reduced to old folks and extremists. The rift in the Church over the health care debate might show the problem more clearly. The nuns (and hospitals) who also embraced Vat II because it was empowering for women, are in support of health care reform seeing it as helpful in their real world Christian service missions. The Catholic Bishops who actually have political power in the Church are in opposition to the reforms. The same split exists in birth control and to a lesser extent abortion. The reformers are the ones who actually perform Christ's work while the opposition exist apart from the world.

tw 03-21-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 642273)
They were/are growing in Africa where the old school nonsense looks progressive. Around here Vatican II, which may have been the Churches last chance to be relevant, is retreating rapidly and some in the Church even blame that liberalization for the peds. The local Church is being reduced to old folks and extremists.

Last numbers I had for the church put average age for a priest at above 60 years old. Just wondering what those numbers are today.

And yes, I have also observed that 'liberalization' blamed for the church's problems. So the church ordered its congregation to change America laws to conform to church doctrine? I cannot think of anything more against American principles.

Again, the question. Are they really that divorced from reality? Do they know what is happening? Or is this their solution?

In corporations, bankruptcy eliminates the problem - fires top management. Shame that the Catholic Church has nothing equivalent.