The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Harmony the 17 yr old badass chicka. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31032)

classicman 07-10-2015 02:21 PM

Harmony the 17 yr old badass chicka.

2 Attachment(s)
Harmony was our badass. She was the uncontested leader of the feline contingent in our home since the day we rescued her 17+ years ago. She loved very few people other than our family. She loved curling up with me on a cold winter's night.

A neighbor (guy I didn't know) came knocking on my door around 11am today. He says I think something is wrong with your cat. Huh? Its out back howling by a tree. I run out back and find Harmony lying in the mulch with her head face down resting on her paws. Immediately I knew something was wrong. I thank him and scooped her up and brought her home.
She hasn't been well the last 6 months or so. She had a tough time walking with arthritic hips. She'd lost a lot of weight - was down to 6 lbs as it turns out. Her hair was shedding uncontrollably too. She was kinda hard of hearing and her sight wasn't so great anymore either.
I poked and prodded her a bit to see if she was just tired. Maybe it was too hot out for her. yeh, thats it, she needs to cool down inside and then everything will be ok. Lemme get her some water and some canned food (a treat). Thats when I noticed she couldn't hold her head up. She had no interest in food from a bowl, but tried to eat when I gave it to her on a spoon. She couldn't walk - just took a few steps in a semi circle and laid back down.
I took her to the vet with Dan. She never came home. I made the toughest call I've ever made as a pet parent.
She's now running free chasing butterflies and birds in kitty heaven. Good bye ole girl, rest easy. I loved ya more than either of us knew :'(

lumberjim 07-10-2015 02:23 PM

sorry,bro

glatt 07-10-2015 02:29 PM

Sorry!

Griff 07-10-2015 02:35 PM

:(

xoxoxoBruce 07-10-2015 02:57 PM

Tough to think of something harder to bear than losing a loved one who's been through thick and thin with you. Sorry Cman.:sniff:

Undertoad 07-10-2015 03:00 PM

Sorry to hear of this - and the final act of love.

fargon 07-10-2015 04:03 PM

Sorry Classicman.

DanaC 07-10-2015 04:10 PM

Oh, that's so sad. You did right by her. *hugs*

Pamela 07-10-2015 05:27 PM

My heartfelt condolences on the loss of a true family member.

Gravdigr 07-11-2015 05:13 PM

Dang. Got something in my eye...:sniff:

Gravdigr 07-11-2015 05:15 PM

Very sorry Classic.

She wouldn't have lived this long without you.

it 07-11-2015 05:50 PM

I am sorry :(

My neighborhood cat by the exact same name died two years ago. She was a badass mofo who had over a decade of battle scars to prove it, unfortunately the last one got to her. She was found dead with a big bite on the side of her back. She lived a good life, and her litters have since become the dominant cat breed in the town I grew up in.

May they both rest in peace (Or, you know, at least enjoy fighting over the good sofa spot in cat heaven).

Sundae 07-12-2015 06:51 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.
What a beautiful girl.

BigV 07-13-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 933237)
Harmony was our badass. She was the uncontested leader of the feline contingent in our home since the day we rescued her 17+ years ago. She loved very few people other than our family. She loved curling up with me on a cold winter's night.

A lovely picture...
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 933237)
I took her to the vet with Dan. She never came home. I made the toughest call I've ever made as a pet parent.
She's now running free chasing butterflies and birds in kitty heaven. Good bye ole girl, rest easy. I loved ya more than either of us knew :'(

A massive understatement.

My heart goes out to you and your family. :cry:

classicman 07-14-2015 02:37 PM

Thanks all. I still feel a lump in my throat every time I think of her, which is frequent. I lost pets as a kid, but this is awfully hard.
I told Lucky, Dan's 3 legged wonder, that she better hang around at least through Christmas as I couldn't deal with this again so soon. Then I remembered shes deaf as a doorknob. Sigh...