The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

orthodoc 03-24-2014 05:16 PM

Ebola is so virulent, it defeats itself (virally speaking). It kills too fast for it to propagate and really get out into the larger population. That's no comfort for those who succumb, I realize, but it isn't a big epidemic risk. If it became a little less virulent, we'd be in big trouble.

glatt 03-25-2014 08:28 AM

Feel bad for the health care workers who are treating the fever patients before they realize it's Ebola, and wind up catching it themselves.

orthodoc 03-25-2014 11:19 AM

Absolutely. :(

footfootfoot 03-25-2014 12:47 PM

I'm battling a mild case of Ebola Zaire right now. Or possibly it's just the tail end of a cold.

Clodfobble 04-01-2014 10:47 PM

Got some standardized test scores from the school today.

Minifobette is reading at a fourth grade level, and she can answer all sorts of comprehension questions about what she's read. But on the "listening" portion of the test, where they read an equivalent passage *out loud* and then ask similar comprehension questions, she's in the 20th percentile of Kindergarteners, effectively on a preschool level. It's like her ears don't work!

(Actually, what it's really like is the auditory processing portion of her brain doesn't work, which we pretty much already knew, but we didn't realize the discrepancy was quite so large.)

orthodoc 04-01-2014 11:08 PM

If she's a visual learner, good for her. On the other hand, has her hearing been tested? Hearing deficits in kids can escape notice for a long time. If she hasn't had a formal hearing assessment, now is the time. She may hear certain frequencies very well but still have significant loss at speech frequencies. It's also possible that she may have trouble with speech discrimination. Children should have an audiologist test their hearing, to be sure that all relevant tests are done.

After all that, she may hear wonderfully but not process instructions. Before assuming that, however, it makes sense to check whether she isn't hearing the instructions in the first place.

monster 04-02-2014 07:26 AM

:corn:

Clodfobble 04-02-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc
If she's a visual learner, good for her. On the other hand, has her hearing been tested? Hearing deficits in kids can escape notice for a long time. If she hasn't had a formal hearing assessment, now is the time. She may hear certain frequencies very well but still have significant loss at speech frequencies. It's also possible that she may have trouble with speech discrimination. Children should have an audiologist test their hearing, to be sure that all relevant tests are done.

Oh yes, she's been tested repeatedly. It's a requirement, first to enter ECI (state-run special needs program for kids under age 3,) then to enter PPCD (public special needs preschool program when they turn 3,) then to be in public school with an IEP. If anything, she's got hyperacusis across the board.

There's a strong possibility, however, that it's not an actual neurological processing problem, but rather an attention problem. She may just be getting impatient listening to the teacher talk more slowly than she'd like, and letting her mind wander. When I read chapter books to her at night, she interrupts me all the time to ask questions about words halfway down the page from where we are. She's really just using me as a lap to sit on while she reads the book herself.

Anyway, it's in the "tad apprehensive" thread because I'm not really worried about it. As long as she's given a textbook, she'll always be fine. But if she gets a teacher who conveys lots of information verbally, it could turn into a problem later on.

BigV 04-02-2014 09:51 PM

plus, it could be a problem when you get tired of writing notes to her for family communication.

xoxoxoBruce 04-02-2014 11:22 PM

Mother's have ways of making themselves understood... even the family pets know what Mama wants... of course the cats don't care.

Sundae 04-03-2014 06:51 AM

I'm seriously considering relocating.
Again.
But I have nothing to live for right now, and can't afford to live here (Aylesbury) so it might save my life for a while.

Halifax, Dani suggests.
Bradford also a possibility as a (rival) supermarket has their Head Office there.
Unlikely to be able to stay with the company I work for, just because they follow the money ie the places they have branches have property prices out of my range.

Wages will be lower if I move North, but the wage to rent ratio would still be far easier to live on. Rent here is grossly inflated by being technically within commuter range of London. It's a trek - and an expensive one - but my bro does it after all. And there's been a ripple effect outwards from previous commuter towns.

I shouldn't complain - Ste & E will pay off their mortgage in the next few years so will be sitting pretty, and the inflated market is what will fund the 'rents for the rest of their life; they bought at £18k and will sell at over £170k. Good for them, they sacrificed a lot early on and have provided a haven for me for the last few years.

So.
Basically Mum & Dad will help me move financially. Not even as a loan, although I'd do everything I could to pay them back when I am settled - up front fees like bonds, moving costs, deposits, acting as a guarantor, travel costs for scouting for properties/ jobs etc.

But.
I really do need to have a job in place first.
And jobsies is hard to come by.
And I already have one I really enjoy (apart from Thursdays, and even that is getting easier, if not actually enjoyable).
And it's all going to be SO tight, time wise, because the 'rents can't bankroll me (loan me) really until their house sale goes through, but the money will literally go into their account on the day the keys are exchanged. The day Cherry is literally homeless.

Argh.

But if this is the path I choose, it's one Mum is really, really keen on.
And if she has to borrow to make it happen she will, in the full and certain knowledge that she has money coming in.
And although she brushes off my assurances that costs and rent and admin fees and all will be paid back, I really would.

Oh, just for comparison - I can rent a room in someone else's house for £400pcm in Aylesbury. I can rent a one bedroom flat in Bradford for £295.

limey 04-03-2014 05:44 PM

It's going to be a big change however you slice it. Life a little further away from London, with its big prices is just as full of opportunities and challenges (and I know you know that already, Sundae). I've already said to you if I can help on anyway,then please let me know. The Limey household is rooting for you! xxx

Sent by thought transference

Sundae 04-04-2014 03:40 PM

Thanks hon.
You and Dani are my lifelines as ever, especially in terms of emotional support and practical advice.

If I won the Lottery tomorrow (yes, my age-old refrain) I'd stay in Aylesbury. I love being near the 'rents as it happens. Even if I only had enough to live mortgage/ rent free then I'd stay in my little supermarket job quite happily, griping about Bakery and lack of communication from Managers and playing the Who Had the Stupidest Customer game (which I win because I made the game up OF COURSE).

I can cope with a provincial town.
I can live with a low salary, although you wouldn't get me turning down a pay rise...
But right here and right now I can't afford to. Not long term and keeping my sanity.

So I'm going back to the Doctors next week to explain my situation - re currently being under stress - and see if I can get them to give me an upgrade on my anxiety meds, and a couple of months for good measure, while my pre-pay card is valid.

Luckily I never told any healthcare professionals about my suicide attempt the other week, so there shouldn't be a reason for them not to allow me tablets. Not that I would try with those meds anyway, I looked them up and it's almost impossible, but GPs get funny about things like that.

I've asked at work about the way internal transfers are handled.
Our new Manager said if I told him which store I wanted to transfer to he would make enquiries for me. Might be a potential route to take. Need to look at how far out I'd have to live to make it viable re transport costs etc.

Maybe I could even talk the 'rents into helping me get a scooter. I've always dreamed of one.
Totally impractical of course, where would I put the bales of hay? ;)

Oh, Mum said she whiled away some time online this afternoon waiting for the hospital to call back (Dad's in for routine investigation and they've kept him overnight). Looking at places in Leeds, Bradford, Halifax etc for me. And the Universities and hospitals for jobs. When I say she'd happily help me relocate I do mean it. This isn't me going cap in hand and begging for money. She'd far rather I moved away (well you gotta appreciate that, right?) than scratched a bare living here and end up back in a Mental Health unit.

Clodfobble 04-04-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae
Luckily I never told any healthcare professionals about my suicide attempt the other week, so there shouldn't be a reason for them not to allow me tablets.

I love you, and I hope you stay with us, Cherry.

infinite monkey 04-05-2014 10:26 AM

Sundae, I'm glad your parents are going to help you out. It's nice they'll be able to do that. I don't know where I'd be right now without the help of my parents years ago. They helped me because they wanted to, but also because they could. I think a lot of parents want to help their kids with a hand up when they need it; just that not all can. Bless your mom and dad.

Hang in there...this may be the start of the greatest adventure of your life!