The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

glatt 12-27-2013 04:36 PM

Now my daughter is throwing up. What is that, 6 days later or so?

Ugh.

Time to clean everything again. At least we were healthy for Christmas.

Clodfobble 12-27-2013 05:38 PM

Dang, so much more frustrating when you thought you were past it. Hope she's better in time to go back to school.

glatt 12-27-2013 05:55 PM

How are you doing, Clodfobble?

Clodfobble 12-27-2013 06:07 PM

Oh, much better. Everyone went to bed early last night, so I got to as well. Minifobette has taken a turn back for the worse, but I seem to have escaped relatively unscathed.

glatt 12-28-2013 10:27 AM

Did I mention it got Mrs glatt this morning? I'm the sole survivor looking nervously around me.

Supposed to have a neighbor kid sleep over tonight while his parents are on the road. I'm trying to reach the parents so they can figure out a plan B.

Griff 12-28-2013 10:30 AM

Still waiting on Pete... Also teh boyfriend is here recovering from his snowboarding accident, will he succumb?

Clodfobble 12-28-2013 03:36 PM

Before we left my in-laws' house this morning, my sister-in-law started puking. We've still got three left in the house unaffected; I'm expecting this to get everyone before it's all over.

Griff 12-28-2013 03:37 PM

Typhoidfobble?

Clodfobble 12-28-2013 04:30 PM

Ha! Could be Mr. Clod, we'll have to keep an eye on that rascal...

orthodoc 12-28-2013 06:08 PM

The in-laws will all get it. Happy New Year! :greenface

This happened to us one Christmas long ago in Canada. Everyone, but everyone in my extended family traveled to be with us for the holidays. Absolutely everyone left with gastro. It was horrible. I sympathize, clod.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 887413)
Before we left my in-laws' house this morning, my sister-in-law started puking. We've still got three left in the house unaffected; I'm expecting this to get everyone before it's all over.

Oh, so that's why you refused to stay home. Misery loves company, and if you're going down, they're ALL going down. :lol2:

Clodfobble 12-29-2013 08:18 AM

Heh... the motives were selfish, I agree: If we'd said we weren't coming, they just would have insisted on driving down to us instead. And then who knows how long they would have stayed. Better to just meet them on their turf and then beat a hasty retreat. Plus all the kids napped during the long car rides, which they wouldn't have done at home.

Minifobette hasn't thrown up in over three days, but she's still refusing to eat. We haven't decided yet if this is because she genuinely still feels nauseous, or because she's gotten it in her head that if she never eats again she'll never have to throw up again. She's the kind of kid who can stick to a decision like that, once she's made it.

Undertoad 12-29-2013 03:11 PM

I have numbness in the last two toes of both feet. In another few days it will reach the level of making an appointment about it.

infinite monkey 12-29-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 887520)
I have numbness in the last two toes of both feet. In another few days it will reach the level of making an appointment about it.

What is that level? Are you waiting for numbness in MORE toes, or for the currently numb toes to rot and fall off?

Get thee to a doctory.

Clodfobble 12-29-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
In another few days it will reach the level of making an appointment about it.

In another few days it will be New Years' Day, and no doctors will be open. Call today.

Or at the very least, go to the grocery store and pick up a little over-the-counter blood sugar test kit. It might be nothing, but I'd be worried about unchecked diabetes.

Griff 12-29-2013 04:05 PM

wss

(what she said)

Undertoad 12-29-2013 04:13 PM

There's a level and it's like, for chest pain you give it 3 minutes, if it's a sharp pain in your groin you give it a day, if it's toe numbness you give it a week and a half if it's not getting worse.

limey 12-29-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 887539)
There's a level and it's like, for chest pain you give it 3 minutes, if it's a sharp pain in your groin you give it a day, if it's toe numbness you give it a week and a half if it's not getting worse.

No. The diabetes thing. Now, please.

Sent by thought transference

DanaC 12-29-2013 04:17 PM

yeah, no. I know what you mean about the level...but a week and a half is silly.

Undertoad 12-29-2013 04:20 PM

It'll wait until the 2nd and that is that, sorry.

Eta. For reasons I'm not going into.

sexobon 12-29-2013 04:22 PM

During the meantime, no more typing with your feet.

Clodfobble 12-29-2013 04:28 PM

Okay, I get that you can't see a doc until the 2nd, but check your own blood sugar, yeah? Takes 30 seconds. Couldn't hurt, and if you rule it out at least you'll have more information to give the doc, right?

Undertoad 12-29-2013 04:58 PM

I'm sure they will send me for a test no matter what I say I've done. They have a lab right downstairs.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2013 06:50 PM

I've got the test gear... and wine.;)

Undertoad 01-08-2014 02:45 PM

The doc is not at all worried about my toes. Says I have excellent circulation, and the problem is not as bad as I thought. He gave me a set of rehab exercises to do for the lower back, and says check back in in two weeks, if no improvement then there is a battery of tests that can be run.

Clodfobble 01-08-2014 02:53 PM

Yay for good news!

Undertoad 01-08-2014 03:06 PM

It's the "not as bad as I thought" that feels the best.

Since turning 50 I feel like everything is bad news from here on out. "It's not a toomah!" turns into "Maybe it IS a toomah."

Clodfobble 01-11-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 887413)

Faaahk. Instead of spreading, it came back around and got Minifob again. Our union's "12 days without a spew" sign just got rolled back to zero. Time to go to the weekend clinic to find out if it's actually something they can treat beyond anti-nausea drugs.

*shakes dice* Come ooonnn, flu, baby needs a new set of antivirals...

Griff 01-12-2014 08:18 AM

Oh noooooooooooooo!

orthodoc 02-27-2014 04:16 PM

I've had nasty left foot pain for the past 6-7 weeks, persisting in spite of ditching my professional shoes (leather flats) for super-cushy Nike running shoes (they look just great with my office clothes). Had an x-ray yesterday to see if it's a stress fracture, which is what it feels like. I haven't done a thing that could cause a stress fracture. I'm no athlete at the moment. My xray report says there's a lucency (clear, dark spot that shouldn't be there) on one of my metatarsals. So I get a bone scan the second week of March.

It'd be very unusual to have a met in my foot, so I'm going to go with the assumption that this is something else. I've had right hip pain over the past two months as well, though, hence the bone scan. Meh. I'm probably just having osteoporotic fractures from the stupid Arimidex. Too soon to tell.

If this pain is from mets, I'll be truly pissed. I just bought a $700 Board-review program.

footfootfoot 02-27-2014 05:05 PM

I hope it's just garden variety shitty ankle syndrome. That's why I keep a spare...

Clodfobble 02-28-2014 09:27 AM

Let us know how the scans go, ortho. :fingerx:

footfootfoot 02-28-2014 10:42 AM

glatt 02-28-2014 11:00 AM

I need to be watching more of Louis CK. He rocks.

BigV 02-28-2014 05:18 PM

He is super funny. But. I watched a couple episodes of his regular "show", he has a show, y'know. It was not pleasant. All about how awkward things were as he tried to find a romantic connection after divorce. It was ugly and unfunny.

Clodfobble 02-28-2014 05:25 PM

His show is different from his standup, yes. It's ugly, but the whole point of it is that there is beauty in ugly. One of my favorite episodes is where he is briefly hired as a sitcom writer, and gets fired because he is trying to make a show that is essentially like his actual show you are watching, and the producers would rather bring Bob Saget in deliver cheesy family one-liners instead. The episode where he carries a baby duck around Iraq made me tear up. It was ugly and beautiful.

footfootfoot 02-28-2014 06:07 PM

It's a sad and beautiful world

Lola Bunny 02-28-2014 09:30 PM

So, last year my sister went to the doctor. She's been complaining of occasional dips in her blood pressure, dizziness, headaches, weariness or getting extremely tired, and lack of energy. So, the doctor said, let's see if something's wrong with you or it's life getting you down. A week later, my sister came back for blood results. The doctor informed her that she nothing is wrong with her. She said to take vitamins, exercise, and come back in 3 months. :eyebrow: Hahahaha.....and yeah, my sister never came back. She thought it'd be a waste of time and money.

DanaC 03-01-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 893634)
His show is different from his standup, yes. It's ugly, but the whole point of it is that there is beauty in ugly. One of my favorite episodes is where he is briefly hired as a sitcom writer, and gets fired because he is trying to make a show that is essentially like his actual show you are watching, and the producers would rather bring Bob Saget in deliver cheesy family one-liners instead. The episode where he carries a baby duck around Iraq made me tear up. It was ugly and beautiful.

Is that the show you mentioned when we were discussing the differences between British and American comedy styles?

The two Js were over here a couple of hours ago and they were raving it. They've got the first couple of series downloaded so J is bringing it round next time they come :)

orthodoc 03-01-2014 03:55 PM

The radiologist says the foot issue is a stress fracture. Hooray! I drank a toast to stress fractures last night. Now I'm more confident about the hip pain. Guess that study program won't go to waste after all. :D

(And no thanks to stupid Arimidex. A fracture after being on it only two months? WTF.)

DanaC 03-01-2014 04:04 PM

You know you've had a bad couple of years if you're cheering for a fractured foot :p

orthodoc 03-01-2014 04:11 PM

I know ... but think how much higher I now get to climb on the happiness scale. I can only go up from here! So I'm toasting the fracture! :p:

orthodoc 03-01-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 893577)

Hahahaha! Now I know what I have - Incurable Shitty Foot Syndrome. And from now on I will stretch it every day, and this will be a new thing I do. I'll probably skip the 10 Aleve per day, though. I like my kidneys.

Clodfobble 03-01-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC
Is that the show you mentioned when we were discussing the differences between British and American comedy styles?

The two Js were over here a couple of hours ago and they were raving it. They've got the first couple of series downloaded so J is bringing it round next time they come

Yes, that's the one! Let me know what you think when you see it. I want to confirm whether I know your taste like I think I do. :) (I also predict that Foot & UT would like it, Griff & Lola would hate it, and Sundae would mostly like it except for the darkest bits...)

glatt 03-01-2014 07:26 PM

Hey Ortho, I'm happy for you that you broke your foot. And I mean that in the nicest possible way!

Clodfobble 03-01-2014 07:29 PM

He's not sorry about ur foot.

monster 03-01-2014 08:35 PM

We need to capture
The fracture rapture
Comin' right atcha

Griff 03-01-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 893728)
Yes, that's the one! Let me know what you think when you see it. I want to confirm whether I know your taste like I think I do. :) (I also predict that Foot & UT would like it, Griff & Lola would hate it, and Sundae would mostly like it except for the darkest bits...)

Actually, I'm a Louis CK fan, he gets how uncomfortable life is.

BigV 03-01-2014 09:54 PM

Um, congrats on the broken foot?

Heh.

orthodoc 03-02-2014 12:15 AM

Heh heh ... sorry or not sorry, congrats or not, thank you all ... I am VERY HAPPY to have a broken foot. :D

And I walked around on it for two months, cursing it but walking on it, so I have confirmed to myself that I am not a wuss. (Sometimes, when you have a lot of pain for a long time and it gets you down, you start to wonder.)

And I enjoy Louis CK. I haven't seen his show, but I've enjoyed the audio I've listened to. He's not pretty but he's real.

Clodfobble 03-02-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Actually, I'm a Louis CK fan, he gets how uncomfortable life is.

Yabbut, the show or the standup? The show has a few clips of his standup inserted here and there, illustrating how he takes his weird-ass life and turns it into comedy, but most of the show is his weird-ass life. It's very different from his regular standup.

NSFW language

Griff 03-02-2014 07:59 AM

I find the pain in both to be revealing and strangely reassuring.

Lola Bunny 03-03-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 893728)

So, what "it" are you talking about? Louis CK? The shitty ankle, I found funny. The pot smoking clip, not so much.

Clodfobble 03-03-2014 01:06 PM

Yeah, the "it" I meant was his character-based show, i.e. the pot smoking clip. So I'm 1 for 2 on people who I thought would hate it... in baseball, I'd be batting .500!

Undertoad 03-03-2014 02:53 PM

ME: Louis' standup is brilliant; but his show, including that clip, is just average, don't like it don't hate it.

glatt 03-03-2014 03:06 PM

Did you see the episode of Comedians in Cars with him in it? It's my favorite one so far, and I've seen half a dozen. I suspect he's really like his stand up persona all the time.

Undertoad 03-03-2014 03:23 PM

I should clarify further by saying that his standup is most just "brilliant" but top eleven of all time, which on my list goes like:

George Carlin
Bill Cosby
Richard Pryor
Louis CK
Bill Hicks
Joan Rivers
Jerry Seinfeld
Steve Martin
Eddie Murphy
Sam Kinison
Emo Philips

DanaC 03-03-2014 03:46 PM

Emo Philips. I used to love him. I knew half his act word for word.

The one with the kid on the swing wanting him to push harder, and harder and harder...

So, I backed up the Buick...

Undertoad 03-03-2014 04:06 PM

My brother says hello!

. . . so hooray for speech therapy.

DanaC 03-03-2014 05:05 PM

Hahahahah. Excellent.