The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SITE (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4657)

lumberjim 02-05-2004 05:37 PM

right

good call

Happy Monkey 02-05-2004 06:07 PM

What have you got against utter coprophiles?

hot_pastrami 02-05-2004 09:17 PM

Re: new question

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim
can you remove the minimum word length parameter?
Behold the power of Google... use "site:cellar.org" in your search string to search the Cellar wiith shorty words.

pot site:cellar.org

BrianR 02-06-2004 10:14 AM

What's an "avatar"?

wolf 02-06-2004 10:24 AM

A picture that displays under your user title.

There are pre-set avatars in vBulletin, or you can upload your own (sometimes there are preset requirements by the sysadmin for using avatars ... minimum number of posts or whatnot.)

If you want to see some in use, go to glocktalk.com or politicsforum.com

juju 02-06-2004 11:36 AM

Sometimes I just don't understand people. I mean, I'm trying to freaking <b>read</b> here! I personally find avatars to be incredibly distracting.

wolf 02-06-2004 12:20 PM

It's a vanity thing. People try to outdo each other with increasingly clever animated avatars, or want their picture up, or whatnot.

It's kind of like buddy icons in AIM. Either you use 'em, or you don't.

FileNotFound 02-06-2004 02:41 PM

I hate avatars and image signatures.

I try to turn both off on boards. If I cannot then I rarely visit these boards. (Some of you proably will see that as a reason to have the images 8-P )

Three reasons:

1) They are distracting.

2) They take up screen space.

3) Often offensive and inappropriate at work. They stick out and scream "Look at me! I'm slacking off at work!!"

The thing I like the most about the cellar is the clean look. It looks very professional, not at all childish like many other sites.

Plus I feel that the lack of signatures and avatars helps keep stupid people who are attracted to such things away from the site.

SteveDallas 02-06-2004 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juju
Sometimes I just don't understand people. I mean, I'm trying to freaking <b>read</b> here! I personally find avatars to be incredibly distracting.
Damn, juju, next you're gonna say you don't like the smilies!! ;)

OnyxCougar 02-16-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Plus I feel that the lack of signatures and avatars helps keep stupid people who are attracted to such things away from the site.

Telefunken 02-16-2004 09:49 PM

I was on a forum where half the fun was seeing who could come up with the best and most creative avatar. There were a few PhotoShop experts there and would come up with some whacked out stuff.

elSicomoro 02-16-2004 09:50 PM

We don't do avatars here...too much clutter. We do have a Photoshop forum though.

Telefunken 02-16-2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
We don't do avatars here...too much clutter. We do have a Photoshop forum though.
I'm over the avatar thing. Those people on the other forum were shallow, vapid cunts.

elSicomoro 02-16-2004 10:03 PM

Well, why don't you tell us how you really feel about them!

OnyxCougar 02-16-2004 10:04 PM

**looks around for Jim**