The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

Aliantha 06-04-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 867073)
Having the living room floor ripped up for the fourth time.
First time, about this time last year - fit lovely, solid wood floor in dream room
Second time - some buckling due to mystery water ingress
Third time - more buckling. Water ingress traced. Hopefully dealt with.
Fourth time - replacing solid wood floor with engineered wood (less likely to buckle if water problems recur).
And no, since you ask, this wasn't covered by insurance.

That sux limey. Stuff like that is so irritating. firstly because it happens, and secondly because of the added expenses. I'd be spitting chips in your place.

limey 06-04-2013 04:23 PM

There's plenty of wood chips here to spit!

Sent by thought transference

Aliantha 06-04-2013 04:25 PM

hahaha...I was thinking chips of teeth from grinding them together. ;)

footfootfoot 06-04-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 867085)
Oh Lord, yes. Both my kids are devilish about people, especially me and Mr. Clod, sticking to our assigned roles.

What will they do when they meet a Jack of All Trades?

Sundae 06-05-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

First time, about this time last year - fit lovely, solid wood floor in dream room
Fourth time - replacing solid wood floor with engineered wood (less likely to buckle if water problems recur).

Sorry Limes, I was all about missing Tiger and in consequence missed your post.

It's horrible.
You've made your house so beautiful and this little problem (LARGE problem) just doesn't want to be resolved.

I feel your pain.

If I believed in luck, or in people getting what they deserve, this will be the very last time you will have to worry about it. And it will be beautiful.

PS - are you sure the house is not built on an ancient Native American graveyard? You know, the lost tribe that discovered Arran and then all died from hypothermia?

wanderer 06-05-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Gah, that's bad, Limey. Can feel the pain. I had that A/C unit of mine going down third time since last year due to unknown problem. And every time they charged me hefty sum. Wasn't covered by insurance either.

Lamplighter 06-10-2013 12:35 PM

There comes that time in life when old folks have to downsize.... We're in that process.

We are planning to put our house on the market, and there is so much to do.
Tomorrow the people are coming to refinish the living rm, dining rm and kitchen floors.
Today we are emptying out the rooms of furniture, and finding
all the lost children, $, toys, buttons, dust-puppies, dog hair, etc.
In the morning, we'll put both dogs in the car and leave for 2 nights at my daughters house.

When we get back, we meet with the real estate agents so they
can tell us how much (less) our house is worth now in this economy.

We have taken 2 pickup-truck loads of "stuff" to Goodwill,
and the trash pick up this past week was extraordinary.

I've already painted the upstairs bedrooms, bath, and hallway,
and plan to do the downstairs rooms while they are still empty
and the furniture is out on the front porch.

If my wife and I can still stand one another after all this, :boxers:
we'll be looking for our next (smaller) place to live. :lovers:

BigV 06-10-2013 12:40 PM

that sounds wrenching and exciting at the same time. good thread choice.

And good luck to you and Mrs LL.

glatt 06-10-2013 12:54 PM

Wow Lamplighter. If I remember correctly, your house is beautiful. It must be difficult to leave it.

Griff 06-10-2013 05:26 PM

Good luck Lamp, you've made it this far it'll be cool.

orthodoc 06-10-2013 05:47 PM

Good luck with both the selling and the buying. Moving is tough. But change can be good.

footfootfoot 06-10-2013 08:28 PM

As the actress said to the bishop.

glatt 06-12-2013 07:49 AM

I'm dragging this morning.

Around midnight last night, after having trouble falling asleep because I was too warm, I discovered that the air conditioner was just blowing warm air on us, and that's why I had been a little warm all evening. Fuck. So I went downstairs and opened the kitchen window above the outside condenser to listen. It wasn't running. I went to the thermostat and turned off the AC, and then turned it back on. I heard a click out at the condenser as I turned it back on. The AC was trying to turn on, but wasn't able to. I turned it off again. So I went down in the basement and checked the circuit breaker. It hadn't been tripped. But I flipped the breaker off and back on anyway. But I was tired and wasn't interested in trouble shooting any more, so I opened the windows and went to bed. It was a lot cooler outside than inside anyway, so it was better.

I kept thinking about what might be wrong, and it was a while before I fell asleep.

This morning, I tried turning the AC on, and the condenser came right on. Yeah! It works, but I don't know what had been wrong with it, so that's got me a tad apprehensive.

Then I grabbed an apple to take with my lunch, and there was water in the crisper drawer, and on the floor of the fridge. Dammit! This old house. The drain line was probably plugged, and I was already late for work.

That's when my wife told me that my son had played a prank by punching a hole in the base of a can of soda, draining the soda, and filling the can with water. Apparently duct tape isn't water proof and the water leaked out of the can and inside the fridge. The little fucker. I left for work after giving him instructions to get a sponge and to mop out the fridge. At least the fridge isn't broken.

In the end, everything appears to be fine. So I shouldn't complain, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Clodfobble 06-12-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
That's when my wife told me that my son had played a prank by punching a hole in the base of a can of soda, draining the soda, and filling the can with water. Apparently duct tape isn't water proof and the water leaked out of the can and inside the fridge. The little fucker. I left for work after giving him instructions to get a sponge and to mop out the fridge. At least the fridge isn't broken.

He's a little fucker, no doubt. But I have to admit, if the prank had worked, it would have been kind of funny to see a family member open up a can of soda to find only water. I'm sure cleaning up the fridge will give him time to reflect on what sort of sealant would be more waterproof, for next time. :)

glatt 06-12-2013 08:11 AM

And it made me realize why he was asking me last night if I ever drink soda. I mostly don't, and the only reason we had any on hand was that it was purchased for a party that was canceled because of bad weather. He's the only one drinking the soda. So he was disappointed that nobody was falling for his prank. I feel a little sorry for him.