The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

xoxoxoBruce 05-03-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 863845)
On a regular engine that might be true but for a transverse the fan units are up by the radiator in front and electrically controlled.

I was speaking of an electric fan mounted to the radiator. When they get worn they can develop longitudinal movement that will make them rub under different vehicle dynamics, depending of whether it's a puller or pusher.

Your ear says right front, so that's the logical place to start. They make a boot puller tool that can save a lot of aggravation, as it hooks around the plug and pulls the boot from the far end. It keeps from chewing up a lot of rubber bits that can drop into the cylinder when the plug comes out. Like the dental equipment, it's handy for a shitload of other things also.

chrisinhouston 05-03-2013 04:31 PM

Thanks! I didn't quite understand what you meant.

Biggest problem I'm having now is breaking free the bolt for the crank pulley. The pulley has 2 metric threaded hole on either side of the bolt and the Toyota shop manual says to use Special Tool blabidy bla which is like a long handled wrench with a Y shaped yoke at the front and gets bolted to the pulley and then you use a breaker bar and a 22mm socket to break loose the big bolt. The Haynes manual say to jamb a pry bar into the ring gear via a removable plate on the side of the bell housing or put a socket on one of the bolts on the side of the flywheel, probably one for the torque converter. If I go that route I will need my son to help me tomorrow, it's a 2 person job.

I tried to fabricate a tool out of 1/8 aluminum flat bar stock I had in the shop, drilled two hole for the bolt and between them for the socket. It looked nifty and I tightened it up with some high strength metric engine bolts I had. Bent the bolts right off as soon as I pulled on the breaker bar so I quit. Wish I could remember how I did it last time, I must have jammed the flywheel in place.

On the upside, Toyota was able to order 3 of the plastic connectors that cracked, the ones that attach to the ignition coils and they were only $8 each.

xoxoxoBruce 05-03-2013 11:42 PM

Being able to get those connectors is a big help.
If it were a stick with a hefty flywheel, jamming with a pry bar would be easy, but the flex plate for an automatic is pretty flimsy. You have to make sure you're not bending it, so a prop between the ring gear and the ground would probably be safest.

Clodfobble 05-04-2013 10:05 PM

So that whole school performance thing? Turns out that, despite asking the kids to memorize their lines, the plan was always to have copies of the script in everyone's hands. They just gave the speaking parts to the most fluent readers, duh.

So yeah, he read his part just fine. No viral YouTube fodder here.

xoxoxoBruce 05-04-2013 10:44 PM

Was using the scripts so nobody gets embarrassed forgetting their lines, or give them something to focus on so they didn't wander?

footfootfoot 05-05-2013 09:02 AM

It was a fun sponge PC move. God forbid there are any cute moments when some undiagnosed Tourette's kid blurts out ASSWIPE during the nativity play.

Sorry. I'm cranky this morning.

Clodfobble 05-05-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Was using the scripts so nobody gets embarrassed forgetting their lines, or give them something to focus on so they didn't wander?

Nah, it takes a lot of embarrass a 7 year old, they don't give a damn. The scripts saved the whole production from falling apart, to be honest. Even with them, there were at least 3 or 4 times when everyone just stood there silently for up to 30 seconds, until the kid who had the next line suddenly realized what was going on. (Not my kid of course, because we'd actually made sure he had memorized his lines. :)) The whole thing was just sort of slow and painful.

footfootfoot 05-05-2013 09:19 AM

Think of it as part of the hazing ritual for the parents, Clod.

orthodoc 05-05-2013 05:17 PM

Exams starting tomorrow ... just put the final touches on my take-home (due tomorrow), then one each day from Mon-Wed. Clinics in between, unfortunately. But! No matter how it goes, Wed evening I'll be done.

ZenGum 05-05-2013 07:37 PM

You know we're calling you Dr 100%, don't you?

orthodoc 05-05-2013 07:52 PM

Oh sure, no pressure. :worried:

ZenGum 05-05-2013 08:04 PM

Just projecting from recent results, it's the best guide to future results.

limey 06-04-2013 05:13 AM

Having the living room floor ripped up for the fourth time.
First time, about this time last year - fit lovely, solid wood floor in dream room
Second time - some buckling due to mystery water ingress
Third time - more buckling. Water ingress traced. Hopefully dealt with.
Fourth time - replacing solid wood floor with engineered wood (less likely to buckle if water problems recur).
And no, since you ask, this wasn't covered by insurance.

Sundae 06-04-2013 06:22 AM

Clod - I coached Tiger extensively for the Harvest Festival and the Christmas play (although he only had two lines in that.) I was a little annoyed because he has a great memory and suffers absolutely no stage fright. Mum learned the lines with him - he was word perfect before most of the class and no tears there.

But I was... not admonished, but it was mentioned that perhaps it wasn't fair for him to get extra help regarding the performance.
WHAT?!
We were working on sound projection and intonation.
During sessions set aside for just this type of assistance. In fact we worked mostly at the beginning or the end of sessions, as a warm-up or cool down. The dinner ladies (who loved him anyway for being a handsome lad and very precise in his eating habits) used to mouth his lines along with him because we often practised in the hall as they were setting up lunch. It was a grand echoing space and great for creating a joyful noise.

I mean, honestly, it's not like it was an audition piece, or a scholarship place. Yes, he was effectively parroting the way I said the words, but it's still part of learning. Oh and he wouldn't take direction from Mum. Very stubborn. Well, no, not really of course. Just an aspie boy who assigns specific roles to the different people in his life. But Mum did not feel any jealousy, and if Mrs Olney wanted it to be said a certain way then that was the way Tiger was going to say it.

Bloody hell I miss my job.

Clodfobble 06-04-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae
Just an aspie boy who assigns specific roles to the different people in his life.

Oh Lord, yes. Both my kids are devilish about people, especially me and Mr. Clod, sticking to our assigned roles.