The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

limey 03-12-2013 08:10 AM

I dithered about that until they were uncomfortable and I had to by TWO sizes smaller. Was good. Now they're straining at the seams :( but I'm back on the swim, apple wagon, and a few days on the Sundae diet (you didn't think she's staying here without earning her keep, did you :eyebrow:) will do me a lorra lrra good, too!

monster 03-12-2013 08:14 AM

Hi Cilla, my name's monster and I'm from Hell. *giggle*

Lamplighter 03-12-2013 01:55 PM

I've been a Dwellar now for almost two years, and I'm concerned
because I'm beginning to understand FootFootFoot's postings.

xoxoxoBruce 03-12-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 856593)
...will do me a lorra lrra good, too!

I tried to Google that but it brought me back here. Unique R Us. :haha:

footfootfoot 03-12-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 856668)
I've been a Dwellar now for almost two years, and I'm concerned
because I'm beginning to understand FootFootFoot's postings.

See? Illumination suits you.;)

limey 03-12-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 856672)
I tried to Google that but it brought me back here. Unique R Us. :haha:

Sorry Bruce I misspelled it, shoulda been "lorra lorra"

DanaC 03-12-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 856595)
Hi Cilla, my name's monster and I'm from Hell. *giggle*

*snort*

xoxoxoBruce 03-12-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 856687)
Sorry Bruce I misspelled it, shoulda been "lorra lorra"

Ahh, two nations separated by a common language. :smack:

footfootfoot 03-26-2013 09:05 PM

I'm iguana see if I can get into my local community college this summer to take some prerequisite science courses for going back to a graduate program.

Why a local community college? Partly I'm watching my weight, but also they've got a pretty good program and they are closer than SUNY Albany.

wolf 03-26-2013 09:09 PM

My experience with gradual school was that if you could hit the needed score on the standardized test and pass the credit check, you're in. Now if the sciences are actually a necessary part of the program you're choosing, then by all means, do it for the refresher. There's probably been some new science since you left school ... ;)

footfootfoot 03-26-2013 09:29 PM

Yep, they are needed, but only about 15-18 credits worth. I reread the program and it's a stretch to call it a graduate program, more of a professional certification kind of thing.

orthodoc 03-26-2013 10:03 PM

What program are you interested in?

zippyt 03-26-2013 10:33 PM

Brewing or yeast growing I bet,
Or there is all ways that corse on male prostitution .

DanaC 03-27-2013 01:54 PM

I should have posted in here a fe days ago, but didn't think to. I was feeling mildly apprehensive about a paper I had to deliver today at the annual Social History Society conference.

I was supposed to present last year but did my back in and was unable to travel to Brighton for it. This year it was held at my own university (yey!).

What was making me apprehensive was that a) I hadn't actually written the paper at that point...and b) I was part of a three person panel, along with my PhD supervisor and my colleague/fellow supervisee, (no pressure!) presenting on the broad preset theme of 'Places and Spaces', which we'd then narrowed down to an exploration of place and militarised space in Georgian Britain. A theme I had blithely agreed to present on, with a vague notion of how to approach it. All of a sudden the conference was hoving into view over the horizon and I was hurriedly trying to make my work fit this theme, having submitted a proposal months ago which committed me to a particular direction.

Also, never know how many people will turn up to each panel (all running parrellel). It was possible that we'd be presenting to a crowded seminar room...or a near empty one.

Turned out good though. Enough people to make it worth presenting (8 or 9) not enough to make the seminar room feel crowded.

And I ended up pleased with paper :)

orthodoc 03-27-2013 01:57 PM

All right! It's an extra-good feeling to come up with strong work in a time crunch. Congrats!