The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34936)

Clodfobble 03-04-2020 12:41 PM

Indoors, or outdoors?

Undertoad 03-04-2020 12:51 PM

Indoors, catered, major hotel chain

Clodfobble 03-04-2020 01:21 PM

I'd say you'll be at the whims of the hotel. If they cancel closer to May, you'll get your deposit back. If you cancel now, you won't. So you might as well just keep the date set, and see what happens.

The 80+ year olds may need to skip it when the time comes, but that could be true of any rescheduled date in the future, too. For comparison, the Spanish Flu circled the globe for over a year, and had multiple major waves of infection in all countries. China, for example, is already seeing cases *imported* from other countries now. I suspect we'll do better than we did in 1918, but not by much.

BigV 03-04-2020 02:25 PM

What's my role in the wedding?

If I'm the groom or in the wedding party, it's up to the decision of the bride and groom.

If I'm a guest, pass.

Griff 03-04-2020 03:04 PM

We might be stable by May? China is restricting travel in now...

glatt 03-04-2020 03:45 PM

If people are driving up, they won't be exposed to any more germs than if they were going to the grocery store.

If I were a guest, I would likely attend, unless major shit hits the fan.

But then again, I ride the Metro every day. My tolerance for being exposed to shit is a lot higher than most people's, and my immune system is likely stronger for it.

Then again, it's attitudes like mine that make the 50-59 demographic the highest infection rate in China.

sexobon 03-04-2020 04:24 PM

Is the couple registered for wedding gifts at a medical supply store?

Enough for wedding party and guests:

masks
gloves
gowns
booties
hand sanitizer
snot rags (tissues)
barf bags
aspirin
children's Tylenol
...etc.

Clodfobble 03-04-2020 04:26 PM

Also, calling it here first: the Pope's gonna be dead by the end of next week.

glatt 03-04-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1047847)

LOL. That’s so specific.

Clodfobble 03-04-2020 04:29 PM

The Vatican announced very, very firmly that he doesn't have it. He totally has it.

tw 03-04-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1047847)

That's how the Roman Curia will kill him. Then blame it on failures by the Chinese. Since they said it, it must be true. So the Curia will not even be suspect.

Until we hear about it years later on "Unsolved Mysteries".

monster 03-04-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1047825)
Let's say you had a wedding scheduled for May 2 at Niagara Falls, with 25 people driving up to attend, including 3 people over 80 and 1 two-year-old. What would you do?

invite me.....

monster 03-04-2020 09:22 PM

oh wait, regarding COVID? go for it. They don't allow cruise ships at that time of year -flow too fast from melting snow. And invite me. I need a day out. US or CA side? :D

you'll be fine. Like the wise one says, let the hotel call the shots..... Do the couple in question have any wedding insurance? might not be a bad idea if doable, would cover stuff not paid to hotel....

Undertoad 03-04-2020 10:01 PM

Today I sat in on an emergency conference call to manage a single DNS entry, so that a major international corporation could report tomorrow morning that they are able to have 50,000 people work from home if necessary.

glatt 03-05-2020 08:42 AM

I just got a CNN email alert that the first case in Virginia has been identified, and the patient is in a hospital 6 miles from my house. A local person.

First of all, why am I getting CNN emails? I never signed up for that.

And second, it's amazing how when you actually test for something, you start to find it. You aren't going to see it unless you look for it. This thing is everywhere already.