The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Machines (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31838)

xoxoxoBruce 04-06-2016 12:33 AM

Machines

1 Attachment(s)
A steam crane, I wonder what the load limit was.

glatt 04-06-2016 09:09 AM

OSHA would be all over that man in the top hat standing there.

Carruthers 04-06-2016 10:01 AM

I'm just trying to work out what they are manufacturing.

That looks to be a gun barrel (large) being lowered into place on a railway wagon. Any support for that notion?

glatt 04-06-2016 10:22 AM

I also assumed it was artillery.

xoxoxoBruce 04-06-2016 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only the military-industrial complex's grandfather, could afford that monster.

Look at this sumbitch, human powered tractor moving heavy stones slung underneath. Looks like the expected soft ground by the shoes on the wheels.

xoxoxoBruce 04-21-2016 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To Bring John Wayne to the silver screen, getting the action on film is only half the battle. You also need sound, then to marry the two smoothly. In the world of rug rats, aircraft and motorized toys, quiet is at a premium, that's why they build sound stages. But John Wayne doesn't shoot well indoors so the sound truck must go to the wide open.

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2016 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big machine for a big job.

xoxoxoBruce 04-27-2016 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think Digr posted this picture before, but this is the lifting capacity of each crane.

xoxoxoBruce 04-28-2016 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never heard of these. Instead of steering skis, a steering track, kind of like four wheel drive. There is only one track and a complex system of bending it at the steering point. Probably didn't catch on because it's too complex.

xoxoxoBruce 05-03-2016 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two biggies, 50,000 ton presses. These were paid for by the US Air Force(you) for forging aluminum and titanium aerospace parts.

xoxoxoBruce 05-03-2016 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
T-Bird press...

BigV 05-04-2016 06:38 PM

I love this thread.

xoxoxoBruce 05-04-2016 08:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think this fits here better than in rims...

Gravdigr 05-05-2016 02:50 PM

275hp from 270 cubic inches was no mean feat way back then. An excess of 1hp per cu in was, for a long time, the Holy Grail of performance.

xoxoxoBruce 05-05-2016 09:49 PM

You wouldn't want to drive one of those Offy engines on the street though, really balky, like riding a high strung stallion.

Gravdigr 05-06-2016 09:35 AM

I heard one once. Choppy.

xoxoxoBruce 05-10-2016 01:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As WW II wound down there were a lot of magazine ads by companies planning their post war strategy. The ads promised people they would have their pent up desire for consumer goods filled beyond their wildest dreams.

Willys' Jeep was born of the war effort and Willys decided they weren't going to pack up and fade away when the government stopped buying.

Griff 05-10-2016 06:24 AM

The perfect post-apocalyptic ride. Unfortunately, we had like thirty years of economic growth after this came out. Maybe its time to buy the tooling for that? ;)

John Sellers 05-11-2016 03:47 PM

xoxoxoBruce 05-11-2016 05:57 PM

That looks expensive, the trailer wheels steer, independent suspension, two trailer wheels drive, hydraulic everything. The only disadvantage would be slower hauling over the road, and you need a $150,000 tractor to pull it.

xoxoxoBruce 05-11-2016 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When cars were lighter. Citroën did this from the factory on the DS.

Gravdigr 05-12-2016 08:18 AM

Jack-o-matic™ - The automatic jack that takes the last dirty job out of masturbating.

glatt 05-12-2016 08:22 AM

Locked bumpers. I've heard of those, but was it really that common?

xoxoxoBruce 05-12-2016 09:33 AM

Yes, even up into the 50s, although bumper guards helped some.

xoxoxoBruce 05-12-2016 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want to look forkin cool...

Gravdigr 05-12-2016 01:29 PM

:devil:

That. Is. Awesome.

xoxoxoBruce 05-12-2016 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This shovel in Golden New Mexico isn't like any I've seen before. It looks built in place, hanging off the side of that structure, and not mobile. It appears it's shoveling dirt into a hole on the far side, where a series of scoops on a conveyer carry it up to the second level, dumping the dirt into the revolving screen drum. The drum would dump larger pieces like rocks out the chute on the near end, and the fine stuff is going somewhere else, perhaps a smelter.
They must be bringing the dirt to the shovel with wagons, trucks, or railcars.

xoxoxoBruce 05-13-2016 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Conowingo Dam Turbine Hall in 1930, with 7 turbines generating 36 megawatts each, second only to Niagara falls.

Gravdigr 05-18-2016 01:30 PM

Yeah, we've had these on before, but, I haven't seen a self-propelled one before:

xoxoxoBruce 05-18-2016 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steam power...

xoxoxoBruce 05-25-2016 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll bet my Uncle would have killed for one of these while trying to build a temporary airstrip when the Marines were hardly off the beach and Jap snipers everywhere.

xoxoxoBruce 05-26-2016 01:46 PM

A fine Gentleman sent me these pictures of a Farmall Double A tractor.

http://cellar.org/2016/double farmall.jpg

Researching it, seems it's a homebuilt one-off.
Quote:

Twin Farmall Causes Double Takes
After seeing a couple of side-by-side tractors that other collectors made by putting two tractors together, long-time Farmall collector Clare Kerns, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, figured he could do it, too. The result is a tractor that is a real eye catcher at shows.
  Kerns worked out a design that allowed him to put two A Farmalls on the same rear end and have it powered by either engine or both.
  "Kerns bought two A's - one made in 1944 and the second from 1946. "Except for the year, the two tractors are identical."
  The transmission and differential are offset to the right on the A. This allowed him to cut into the axle housing on the left side and attach the transmission from the second tractor. "I used the original rear axle from one of the tractors. It had a gear on the side opposite the transmission. I had that machined off and splines cut on it to match the other side, so I could attach it to the second transmission," he explains.
  He centered the operator's seat and steering wheel. One clutch pedal disengages both clutches. With just one clutch pedal, he can power the tractor with either engine or both at once. He left both throttles in place. "I thought about trying to hook up one throttle so it would control the speed of both engines, but if you're using both, you can match the speeds just by listening to and matching the pitch of the engines," he says.
  Kerns made use of both sets of rear wheels by mounting duals on the rear axle. "I've used it for pulling and it does pretty well. Even with the duals, it runs out of traction before it runs out of power," he says.
  While either engine can be used to power the tractor, Kerns put just one battery and generator on his double tractor. "It doesn't take two batteries to run it and I didn't figure I needed the second one, nor the generator, either," he says. But he notes that if he doesn't use the engine with the generator on it, he could run down the battery.
  He says he did have to beef up the front end so it would be heavy enough to hold up both tractors. And he lengthened the drawbar. Overall width of Kerns' double A is only 7 ft., even with the duals in place.
link

Also came across this dude.
http://cellar.org/2016/garrat1.jpg

http://cellar.org/2016/garrat3.jpg

http://cellar.org/2016/garrat2.jpg

Quote:

Rare Side-By-Side Tractor Completes Lee Collection

Over the years FARM SHOW has published a number of stories about the amazing tractors built by Harry Lee of Elnora, Ind. After retiring from farming, Harry built nine different one-of-a-kind tractors. Most are replicas of prototype tractors made by different tractor manufacturers. All of the tractors are in working condition.
Now 83 years old, Harry recently sent us photos of his "newest" tractor, which he did not build but which fits right in with his collection. It's a 1956 factory-built prototype from Garrett Mfg. of Enumclaw, Wash., and is called the Twin Drive 400 IHC diesel. Two tractors with identical engines mount side by side. The tractor has two transmissions, and each engine drives its own set of wheels. Harry bought the tractor in January 2002. He hauls the tractor - along with all his other home-built models - to shows throughout the U.S.
"It handles beautifully. I really enjoy driving it, especially since I built my own Farmall F-20 twin engine tractor that is somewhat similar," says Harry. "The diesel engines each have about 60 hp. At the time it was made, it was the largest farm tractor equipped with rubber tires and weighed 15,380 lbs. When I first got the tractor I used it to pull a 4-bottom plow and a 15-shank field cultivator. Now demonstrating it at shows is my full-time hobby.
"The tractor was originally owned by a Washington farmer who used it for 30 years. He estimates the tractor traveled about 96,000 miles during its career in the field. Garrett Mfg. repurchased the tractor from the sons of the original owner in 1985 and then two years ago I bought it from them. The engine was overhauled once, and the original tires were replaced after they wore out. Otherwise, it has required only routine maintenance."
To honor the original builder, Harry left the Garrett name on both sides of the tractor. "Mr. Garrett is 87 years old now but he still stays in touch with me," says Harry. "For him it's a great thrill to know his tractor is still out there in the public eye and that people recognize him as the builder. He recently sent me a check for $100 and told me to take my wife out to dinner."
Harry recently drove the tractor in a parade at the National Red Power Show in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and also demonstrated it in a tractor pull. "I did a corkscrew spin by putting one side of the tractor in reverse and the other in forward and went around and around like a doughnut. A lot of people used their video cameras to film the event. It seemed like everyone had a video camera. After the pull, one guy came up to me and said he would liked to have had all the money that was spent on video film that day. "
Lee has appeared in shows as far away as Florida and Texas. After this year he will cut back considerably.
link

This shit is much more difficult than it seems, the guy has a lot of time and money tied up here. Probably his wife was grateful to get him out from underfoot, though.

Griff 05-27-2016 06:27 AM

This is apparently a thing.

xoxoxoBruce 05-30-2016 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What could possibly go wrong?

xoxoxoBruce 06-04-2016 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I suspect there isn't much information in existence, at least in English, about this forge.

xoxoxoBruce 06-04-2016 02:55 AM

I think I was still in High School when I read the Arms of Krupp, big fucking book, 400 years of Krupp.
Just couldn't put the damn thing down.

Griff 06-04-2016 09:48 AM

That would be an interesting process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bertha_%28howitzer%29
'A total of 12 complete M-Gerät were built; besides the two available when the war started, 10 more were built during the war.[1][10] This figure does not include additional barrels; two extra barrels were already available before the war started,[1] and possibly up to 20 barrels were built, though some sources state 18.[3] As the war ground on, several Berthas were destroyed when their barrels burst due to faulty ammunition. Later in the Great War, an L/30 30.5-cm barrel was developed and fitted to some Bertha carriages to provide longer-range, lighter fire. These weapons were known as the Schwere Kartaune or Beta-M-Gerät.[6][11]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Gun
"The Paris Guns hold an important place in the history of astronautics, as their shells were the first human-made objects to reach the stratosphere."

xoxoxoBruce 06-04-2016 11:59 AM

Whoops, I was researching the machine and took the gun info from a sidebar, my bad.
Thanks Griff, the numbers are interesting, also the description of the mobile M gun.

Oh boy, we can take it along on vacation.
Where are you going?
Any fucking place we want.

What intrigued me was the referral to the inner tube of the barrel. I'd like to know how that barrel goes together. Also, I'm pretty certain in the photograph what they are doing is forging a huge steel blank which later will be divided up into a bunch of pieces. But I still would like to know more about that machine. Why? Damifino? :blush:

xoxoxoBruce 06-05-2016 04:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Don't know how I got the picture in there all over again, maybe glatt can remove the attachment from post #36.

Foreward...
This tractor was the first one designed to use rubber tires, a huge leap forward, and 25 mph was car normal speed in Model-A days.
Quote:

In 1919 Fate joined with Root-Heath Manufacturing Company and formed Fate-Root-Heath. The new organization continued to build clay machinery, yard locomotives, and added a line of sharpening equipment for reel type grass mowers. Business was good, and the company prospered until the economic crash of 1929.

By the early 1930's orders for expensive locomotives had slowed to a trickle. In order to keep the factory doors open, Fate-Root-Heath needed a product that was cheap enough that people could afford to buy in quantity. The town of Plymouth was located in the middle of prime Ohio farm land; a farm tractor would be a natural addition to the product line. A tractor was well within the company's engineering and production capabilities. Charles Heath, general manager of the company at that time, presented the idea of building a farm tractor to get the company through the depression. An employee recalls, "Charlie was the Kingpin of the operation. When Charlie hollered, everyone jumped, from the president on down. " So Fate-Root-Heath set out to build a farm tractor.

xoxoxoBruce 06-07-2016 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back in the early 1970s, when sophisticated electronics were huge, Segway a pipe dream, and radial tires were hey-buddy-you-got-a-flat, this was genius.

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2016 12:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This beast fits better here than rims.

Gravdigr 06-14-2016 12:42 PM

Six-wheel drive from two axles?:eyebrow:

Also, a nsfw warning woulda been nice...That one guy's plainly standing there with his tool in his hand.

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2016 07:39 PM

It said a 6-wheel drive, 6-cylinder was the biggest they built, not the only. The photographs and illustrations are a two axle and 4 cylinder engine so I guess they're not the biggest model, are they.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2016 12:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Faegol(above) also made walking tractors. One being demonstrated and the crating dock at the factory.

fargon 06-18-2016 06:13 AM

Like those rear wheels, bet they didn't get stuck much.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2016 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes but you couldn't move it over a paved road, and would tear up an unpaved road. This is why the push to rubber tires in the '30s. A guy I grew up with travels all over buying up those spiked wheels and selling them to the Amish.

xoxoxoBruce 06-20-2016 12:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There's been an obsession among the more-money-than-they-know-what-to-do-with crowd, to unearth hot rods, customs, and race cars that had 15 minutes of fame and restore them. They've even added a class for them at the big concours d'elegance shows. One group is car magazine cover cars, ignoring the fact that cover cars weren't necessarily the best of the breed, just good looking and available for a photo shoot before the go to press deadline each month. I think their attitude was, it ain't the best but it's better than yours.

This is one of those cars, the first cover car for Rod & Custom.

Gravdigr 06-20-2016 12:35 PM

It absolutely cost more to restore. Tracking down the old parts needed probably cost a small fortune. Not to mention the difference in labor costs vs. 1953.

And it's missing the towbar. Understandably.

ETA: Nevermind the towbar, where's the radiator?!?

Underneath, maybe? I've seen that a couple times.

xoxoxoBruce 06-20-2016 12:47 PM

Yeah, the tow bar was only attached when towing and is more a part of the tow rig than the car. They had Gene Winfield do the paint on the restoration and ship it back to the shop doing the assembly. Coincidentally it was Winfield who made those water pipes in the '40s, and just happened to have an NOS pair hanging on the wall of his shop. He donated them to the project when he sent the body back.

Carruthers 06-20-2016 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 962719)
There's been an obsession among the more-money-than-they-know-what-to-do-with crowd, to unearth hot rods, customs, and race cars that had 15 minutes of fame and restore them.

How people spend their money is a matter for them, but I struggle to understand what makes someone spend more money than most of us will see in a lifetime on a car. Each to his own. :headshake

Quote:

'Exceptional' Aston Martin found 14 years after theft

Attachment 57108

An Aston Martin racing car with "an exceptional history" has been found by police 14 years after it was stolen.

The DB2, which competed in the 1949 Le Mans 24-hour race, was taken in 2002 from Baldock, Hertfordshire.

Police used intelligence to track it down to a storage facility in Eindhoven, Holland, in March this year.

The car's owner at the time of the theft died before it was found so it was returned to a relative. It is being auctioned off for up to £900,000.*

Two men convicted of stealing the car in 2003 failed to return to court for sentencing and have never been caught again.

Det Sgt Jo Goodson, from Hertfordshire Police, who travelled to Holland to seize the car, said it was "extremely satisfying" to get the vehicle back.

"It was quite emotional because it's a lovely car with an exceptional history," she added.

The green prototype, which was built as a test-bed for the later production of the DB2, was the only one of three Aston Martins in the 1949 race to cross the finish line.

Attachment 57109

Ashley Mack, who is now the rightful owner, said his relative Christopher Angell had been left "devastated" by the theft of his vehicle.

"Just before he died in 2003 he was still asking 'has that nice policeman got my car yet?'" he said.

"Even at this stage my heart will be pleased if it doesn't sell, but my head has to acknowledge that it will cost many thousands to restore."

The vehicle will go under the hammer at Bonhams' Goodwood Festival of Speed sale later this month.
* £900,000 = $1,320,000 (In round figures)

BBC link

xoxoxoBruce 06-20-2016 01:23 PM

Although it has some historical significance and would be a good Museum piece, to who ever buys and restores the car it will be a trophy, a display of wealth, and a step up the social standing ladder in the small circle of high end collectors. Some of these guys make money on these acquisitions as the auction prices climb into the stratosphere. But the prices are at risk of collapse at any time. As much as they tout the value of this or that car, the reality is it's worth not what you paid, but what someone is willing to pay you.

Carruthers 06-21-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 962737)
.......Some of these guys make money on these acquisitions as the auction prices climb into the stratosphere. But the prices are at risk of collapse at any time. As much as they tout the value of this or that car, the reality is it's worth not what you paid, but what someone is willing to pay you.

A few years back, so-called classic cars were seen as the next big thing in alternative investments.
The whole thing seemed to be built on sand as the cars were bought and sold within a small pool of investors aka 'mugs' and eventually the market, such as it was, seized up and many suffered severe financial loss.
I get the feeling that things are now back to normal, if you can use that word in this context, and it's now the domain of multi-millionaires once again.

xoxoxoBruce 06-21-2016 09:38 AM

I think you're right although there are a lot more millionaires than ever. At a lower level, guys who's kids are out of college and daughter's weddings are paid for, want to own a car that they wanted/had that was cool when they were in high school. So the prices seem to ebb and flow along a timeline about 30 years behind that demographic except for a few milestone cars that are always popular like the '57 Chevy, or '65 Mustang.

xoxoxoBruce 06-22-2016 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't even... :confused:

xoxoxoBruce 06-23-2016 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There's Fageol again in 1922...

xoxoxoBruce 06-24-2016 11:27 AM

A Jeep Liberty on fire. Watch what happens when the water hits the hot magnesium transfer case at 1:10.

xoxoxoBruce 06-25-2016 01:02 PM

This shows the operation of a steam powered machine shop. It's 30 minutes long but the steam supply is at the beginning, then various machines in action. I salvaged a pulley and pilliowblock shaft system out of a shop that was powered by a 5hp electric motor.

glatt 06-27-2016 08:31 AM

That's so awesome. The old DuPont water powered shop at the Hagley Museum looks very similar.

xoxoxoBruce 06-27-2016 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The system I got, the primary wheel in the system, which was driven by the 5hp motor, became the base for my coffee table. The top is a wood grid like you've seen on hatch covers in sailing ship movies, has a metal tag on the edge that says "First Class Only". The guy in the van who sold it to me swore it's from the Titanic. :blush:

xoxoxoBruce 06-29-2016 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Testing at the Bureau of Standards in Washington DC...