The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34936)

Undertoad 03-11-2020 01:14 PM

they did the math

http://cellar.org/img/covideventplanner.jpg

Flint 03-11-2020 04:47 PM

I am mildly alarmed, and processing something new..

I overheard my co-workers complaining about, in general, media hysteria over the coronavirus. Complaining about events being cancelled. Then it happened-- I heard, "The LIBERALS won't be happy until everything is shut down!" Followed by 10 minutes of complaining about LIBERALS and DEMOCRATS causing the coronavirus panic.

Folks, if you don't know, I work at in the healthcare sector. If people are treating a public health event as POLITICAL in nature, I'm afraid our civilization may have reached the point of no return. If not this, something, soon.

Undertoad 03-11-2020 07:01 PM

OMG. Yes. You just put on the They Live sunglasses and now you can see it too

now... didn''t want to tellya... but... look at your friends with the sunglasses on

it's infected everyone

politics makes us stupid

monster 03-11-2020 07:47 PM

All the universities here closed today. If we want to politicize and conspiracy theorize ....isn't it dictatorships who want an uneducated populace? ;)

Undertoad 03-11-2020 08:13 PM

It is the ideal time not to be employed at a business that serves large numbers of the general public.

monster 03-11-2020 09:16 PM

I'd take it over being unemployed, though. (well unless "it" was Macdonalds. Not there ....yet)

glatt 03-11-2020 09:23 PM

I just ordered a computer monitor and cable so I can have dual monitors at home if/when my firm closes. I can't do my job with just a single little 19 inch monitor.

I wonder if corona virus will reimburse me? Or Trump? Didn't he say something about freeing up money?

My daughter is home for spring break and has been told that break is going to be extended an additional week. (So far.)

We've been slowly stocking up on food, but with an extra mouth in the house, we need to get more. We have only about a week or two of food. It looks like a lot more than that though. 4 people eat a lot of food. We are running out of shelf space.

One admitted student college visit day for my son has been cancelled. The other school's day is in April and hasn't been cancelled (yet.) That one will likely cost us $1k in non-refundable plane tickets. We may visit anyway and walk around the closed campus. I was stupid though. Should have paid for the travel insurance on that one. I knew the virus was out there when I booked it.

Schools are still open. Work is still open. I'm still riding the Metro each day, but with roughly 1,000 cases in the US, and maybe 100 people in each metro car, there is only a 0.03% chance that I'll encounter one of them on any given ride, according to that chart above.

monster 03-11-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1048292)
I'm still riding the Metro each day, but with roughly 1,000 cases in the US, and maybe 100 people in each metro car, there is only a 0.03% chance that I'll encounter one of them on any given ride, according to that chart above.

cough a little and you'll soon have a carriage to yourself and reduce your chances?

monster 03-11-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

My daughter is home for spring break and has been told that break is going to be extended an additional week. (So far.)

mine gets spring break next week. They were told it was going to be one extra week, but now it's two...

And my sons' uni (which had spring break last week) cancelled everything for the rest of the week and is going online only for the rest of the semester starting Monday.

Of course my ditsy son broke his phone and spent hours playing games instead of ordering a new one so now can't access all the online stuff because it's dual factor authentication requiring a mobile phone..... sigh

tw 03-11-2020 11:10 PM

Apparently somebody kicked Trump in the balls and it activated some brain cells. So extremists are now worried.

Trump has finally decided to address this pandemic with the attitude that he needed two month ago when it was that obvious. Maybe Merkel's comments were short enough to attract his 30 second attention span. Base upon pathetic responses by so many world leaders, we can expect 60 to 70% of the world's population to eventually test positive for Covid-19. At somewhere between 2% and 3% deaths, how many people is that?

"Don't worry. Be happy", says Flint.

Trump finally let his medical people stop downplaying the seriousness of this pandemic. But one thing he clearly did not do. He did not address the missing 1 million test kits that are needed. Test kits that remain in short supply because he obstructed the necessary response two months ago.

Because this virus does not have high fatality rates, then it is more dangerous - spreads farther. Apparently without any indication for weeks.

This pandemic coincides with a rush on toilet paper. Did his speaking also cause a diarrhea epidemic? I understand he read from the teleprompter. Meaning he only said what he was told to say. So it should not have been that bad.

sexobon 03-11-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

… We've been slowly stocking up on food, but with an extra mouth in the house, we need to get more. We have only about a week or two of food. ...

Nawwww, an economical alternative is to simply order a copy of the Donner Party Cookbook.

xoxoxoBruce 03-12-2020 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot I had this...

pause...

be-bop 03-12-2020 07:41 AM

My Good Lady thinks I'm being paranoid about the C virus, but hey I've won the raffle with the underlying conditions.
Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Blood Clotting problems (I'm on Warfarin )
Well I suppose shit happens :D

xoxoxoBruce 03-12-2020 09:03 AM

At least you have proof you're not a rat. :thumb:

Flint 03-12-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1048309)
"Don't worry. Be happy", says Flint.

lol what?