The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SITE (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4657)

Nirvana 04-25-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianne (Post 808526)
And they have that the wrong way around. Things you say in public are often forgotten pretty quickly. What you post online is there for ever.

If you think about all the Presidents or presidential wanna bees, they probably wish that were true! ;)

zippyt 04-25-2012 06:09 PM

I havent seen the post in question , but i believe Terroristick threatening IS against the law , and Generally bad form

DanaC 04-25-2012 06:21 PM

It wasn't strictly speaking a 'threat'.

He didn't say: 'I'm going to blow away a gay pride parade'. In the context of a discussion on sexual immorality he said that: 'If I ever get to the point of going postal...what I'll do is go to some gay parade and blow em all away..'

BigV 04-25-2012 06:28 PM

Very bad form, indeed. Fucked up form. But not a crime.

monster 04-25-2012 07:22 PM

But what if the "if" is really a "when" in "if"'s clothing?......

;)

:dedhorse:

:stickpoke:

infinite monkey 04-25-2012 07:25 PM

Dana,hon, I always come off snarky, but you still my homegirl too.

I have a bit of a soft spot for jb. Don't know why.

I understand the feeling of being characterized in one form or another, and you are right. I did do that to you. I'm sorry. I respect you and your opinion. I like you, so maybe I feel safe arguing with you. Like family. :)

classicman 04-25-2012 09:24 PM

So don't give him a life sentence, give him a slap on the wrist ... say for a month?

I think that the combination of mental illness and the comment itself deserves concern.
The word "if" doesn't really make me feel any more comfortable.

Whatev. I'll deal with it either way. My peace/piece has been noted.

Flint 04-25-2012 11:05 PM

So you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, but you CAN threaten to kill people. As long as you include the word "if" in the statement. Bullshit.

I've never seen anything like this posted on the Cellar before. It isn't just offensive, it's criminal. YOU CAN'T THREATEN TO KILL PEOPLE. Not "in real life" and NOT here. For the love of jesus ƒuckin' christ on a pogo stick why is this even a debate???

classicman 04-25-2012 11:37 PM

ƒlint is ƒuckin ƒorcing me ƒurther to the ban side.

BigV 04-26-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 808593)
So you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, but you CAN threaten to kill people. As long as you include the word "if" in the statement. Bullshit.

I've never seen anything like this posted on the Cellar before. It isn't just offensive, it's criminal. YOU CAN'T THREATEN TO KILL PEOPLE. Not "in real life" and NOT here. For the love of jesus ƒuckin' christ on a pogo stick why is this even a debate???

If you truly believe this is criminal, what have you done about it? Have you called the police? Have you reported this to the authorities? Have you called the media, some investigative news reporter? Here is this "crime" you wail, and I want to know what you're doing about it, besides making a bunch of noise?

I patiently await your answer.

sexobon 04-26-2012 02:29 AM

Dark and lonely on the summer night.
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord.
Watchdog barking - Do he bite?
Slip in his window,
Break his neck!
Then his house
I start to wreck!
Got no reason --
What the heck!
C-I-L-L ...
My land - lord ...
Def!

Trilby 04-26-2012 05:09 AM

I was thinking of the movie The Fisher King. Maybe Flint is too.
you can't go around threatening shit like that. If jbk were admitted
to the psych unit and said that to intake there would be issues.

DanaC 04-26-2012 05:18 AM

There's also more here than what is legal/illegal, and what upsets a single individual.

This is about what we as a community deem acceptable conduct. As far as I am concerned, that kind of comment if allowed to go unchecked is dangerous to our community. We would not deem it acceptable if someone responded to a black (or whatever term is currently in use :p) dwellar by repeatedly calling that dwellar a nigger and making 'joke' threats about lynching niggers and burning crosses on their lawns.

Not because that might upset that individual dwellar, though that obviously would not be good, but also because if those words stand it signals that this is a community that accepts the worst kind of racism and bigotry and in doing so becomes an unwelcoming place to non-whites.

I believe, that by not sanctioning members who engage in the same kind of thing against LBGT/Queer dwellars we give much the same signal. It is no more censorship of free speech than is our desire not to be spammed or intolerably irritated as a community.

Griff 04-26-2012 05:49 AM

I was pretty sure I wanted to advocate having him banned after the threat (and it was a threat), but there is one thing about his psychological make-up that's holding me back. He needs for his own sense of religious superiority to not be accepted. He needs to feel silenced to feed his own disease. On the flip side, I don't want Sheldon Erica et al to feel at all unwelcome here. They are important members of the cellar who need to be listened to. Our community has always been an open place and I want it to stay that way. Maybe JB's family will have him committed soon... If push comes to shove I'd have to go with flint's position, it was a threat of violence and he should be banned for it.

Undertoad 04-26-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

It isn't just offensive, it's criminal. YOU CAN'T THREATEN TO KILL PEOPLE.
THIS IS PROTECTED SPEECH: