The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SITE (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4657)

Uisge Beatha 08-01-2007 04:35 PM

Um, well.......they're lurkers, but maybe a special kind. How about pod people lurkers?__:confused:__Would that actually be purkers?__:alien: :lurker: :alien:

Uisge Beatha 08-02-2007 07:43 AM

OK, I made my little joke last night, but now I'm with Shawnee here. The user profiles for each of these two shows last activity on Tuesday morning, yet they are constantly logging in, as per Who's Online. And they are always logging in several minutes behind the current time; it seems to keep changing to six or seven minutes behind. Do we have a way to yank somebody out of a time warp?

Shawnee123 08-02-2007 08:48 AM

i'm worried that they are furiously banging on their monitors, trying desperately to get out of the warp they have found themselves in, but in vain.

Let's help these poor souls.

Or, you could just fucking ignore me.

Uisge Beatha 08-02-2007 09:07 AM

Perhaps the Shawnee Foundation (parent organization of the Coalition for a Saner America) should run a telethon. Can we still send donations to the Crappicus address?

Shawnee123 08-02-2007 09:16 AM

Of course you can. Just don't tell the feds. I haven't done the appropriate paperwork yet.

Hey, they're gone! Fly, little ones, be free! (If we love them we let them go. If they come back to us they are ours.) ;)

yesman065 08-02-2007 10:36 AM

I believe they were helped along on their merry way - they were logging on for hours upon hours

Shawnee123 08-02-2007 10:39 AM

Yes, once someone important mentioned it. ;)

Undertoad 08-02-2007 10:58 AM

Literally over a thousand accounts were purged this morning. Most of them, at this point, are here just to get a single link in their user profile in order to spam google with their bogus sites. Most of them are from Russia or at least enter Russian email sites to validate their accounts. The problem is massive and ugly and will not go away.

I expect these are the same people who used to start a thread to spam us but are now prohibited from starting threads because they haven't posted.

Shawnee123 08-02-2007 11:14 AM

I can't even imagine what you have to do behind the scenes, UT. Thanks for all you do. I was concerned that those two were stuck or perhaps having an adverse affect on the rest of us, but I know you keep the situations well in hand.

:)

Uisge Beatha 08-02-2007 11:38 AM

Wow! Now, cleaning up is definitely good, but it does mean that everybody's share to buy Cellar Island will now be $220 instead of $165. :D

elSicomoro 08-02-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 370767)
Literally over a thousand accounts were purged this morning. Most of them, at this point, are here just to get a single link in their user profile in order to spam google with their bogus sites. Most of them are from Russia or at least enter Russian email sites to validate their accounts. The problem is massive and ugly and will not go away.

I've been having a similar problem with the Bosque for months now. Recently, I just started letting the spam accounts pile up--I've gotten 100 new users in the past 2 days. At least they can't post because I haven't activated their accounts.

Given that folks don't join the Bosque that often, I'm thinking of getting rid of the joining page, replacing it with an e-mail form request. But I have to figure out which page it is first.

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 11:04 AM

This isn't a question, just seems like a place to say this:

I am LOVIN' the Cellar right now. *does happy dance*

That is all.

BigV 10-15-2007 11:04 AM

I would like some help as to how to compose a search query where the operator is AND to search for posts with two or more terms. The default behavior is OR. I have tried AND and I have tried + and both are ignored. I have successfully used double quotes to enclose whole search strings. But the "AND" eludes me.

TIA

Undertoad 10-15-2007 12:40 PM

Go to google and use

term1 term2 site:cellar.org

That oughta do it. I don't think the built-in search includes an AND.

BigV 10-15-2007 12:49 PM

Thank you sir.